Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To be honest they should put a mini roundabout around 80m south west of Aldi (top of Shantalla) and then block right hand turns out of it. A mini roundabout is a painted hump in teh middle of the road...like the bottom of threadneedle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    To be honest they should put a mini roundabout around 80m south west of Aldi (top of Shantalla) and then block right hand turns out of it. A mini roundabout is a painted hump in teh middle of the road...like the bottom of threadneedle.

While it might seem a good idea - I am not sure it would actually work. I am coming down Threadneedle Road and turn towards Barna at the roundabout on a regular basis. The amount of cars coming from the left who are completely ignoring the fact that there is a roundabout is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

While it might seem a good idea - I am not sure it would actually work. I am coming down Threadneedle Road and turn towards Barna at the roundabout on a regular basis. The amount of cars coming from the left who are completely ignoring the fact that there is a roundabout is sickening.

To be fair, it's not just that roundabout, people in Galway haven't a clue to use any roundabout - the amount of people that don't understand that the left lane approaching a roundabout is for the first and second exits (when the second exit is to the left or straight on) only beggars belief - I see people using the left lane to take the third exit on a regular basis - I've just given up now:(!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

wouldnt even need a roundabout if they'd put the entry/exit from Aldi facing that little road behind Aldi (Ashe Road, according to google) - people could then right or left turn safely. cant believe they got away with the entrance the way it is in the first place, it is such a mess and fairly dangerous (for people turning right out of that carpark)!

and I hope they'll synchronize those traffic lights a bit better - they're a disaster right now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

galah wrote: »
    wouldnt even need a roundabout if they'd put the entry/exit from Aldi facing that little road behind Aldi (Ashe Road, according to google) - people could then right or left turn safely. cant believe they got away with the entrance the way it is in the first place, it is such a mess and fairly dangerous (for people turning right out of that carpark)!

and I hope they'll synchronize those traffic lights a bit better - they're a disaster right now!

I'd say that proposal would walk into a brick wall with the people who live on Ash rd which is fair enough as its a residential street. Long story short, at Aldi, the planners and traffic engineers were originally counting on putting in another Corrib park type roundabout at that site. They neglected of course to factor in the likely reaction of a certain group of stakeholders - hence we now have traffic lights.

• Advertisement

Anyway back to the main project.

Does anybody believe the job will finish in April like Ciarán Hayes said it would only a few weeks back.???

Does anyone even believe it will be finished by the Whit Weekend on June 1st???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Sponge Bob... Comedy forum is this way --->>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Are the traffic lights on the SQR going to be connected to the new Urban Traffic Management Centre (i.e. - cameras to monitor traffic so the lights can be adjusted from the control room)?

Also, I assume they are going to put down inductive loops to detect traffic. The timed light cycles at the moment are woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Bus lane is great :D:D Got bus today at 17.40 from Eyre Square and was home in less that 15mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Are there going to be traffic lights at the junction with Rahoon/Shantall Road, beside the ESB substation? It doesn't look like it at the moment.

The conspiracy theorist side of me thinks that that junction will disappear and be replaced by a road meeting the junction at Dunnes, as per the Tesco plan as told to the residents by Michael O'hUiginn in the Ardilaun (at the same time he said that his site would be left derelict if his plan was approved, and that we all knew what happened with derelict sites).

Also, what is the cut into the path/cycle lane opposite the Dunnes exit onto SQR for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

galah wrote: »

What do you mean get away with it? That entrance was always there, ever since factories were opened on the site.
    Fey!, those are cycle hooks for those who wish to turn right at a junction, complete with mini push-button lights to cross. Very lah-di-dah..

So so we missed April. Have Tansey or Hayes punted a new finishing date yet ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So so we missed April. Have Tansey or Hayes punted a new finishing date yet ??? :D

Hang on, they could finish it on Monday (pigs might fly as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

antoobrien wrote: »
    Hang on, they could finish it on Monday (pigs might fly as well)

End of May according to this:
    http://www.water.galwaycity.ie/gcc/Home/SupplyInterruptions.aspx
    (click on the highlighted road on the map; the info is in the caption)

Nahh, it'll be June now before it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Whats this lane for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

3fullback wrote: »
    Whats this lane for ?

I've been wondering the same thing, although it hasn't opened yet.

I've been wondering the same thing, although it hasn't opened yet.

Would it be for a possible entrance into a Tesco ? ( A Tesco which has'nt recieved planning permission yet :rolleyes: )

Whats this lane for ?

An entrance to (Former FF Mayor of Galway Micheál O h-Uiginns) land on the south side. There was no metion of any Tesco when that lane was designed...it leads to a semi derelict factory.

Oddly this slip lane to NOWHERE is longer than the Westside slip which leads to Westside and Dunnes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

So apparently there is a major f*ck up with where they put the 'border wall' at the side of Currach Buí on the BOD road side.
    They miscalculated and didn't leave room for the footpath (they were supposed to 'eat into' a bit of Currach Buí).
    So the 'temporary solution' has been to knock a hole in the brand new wall. Pedestrians now have to go through said hole, and cut through the road of the housing estate in order to walk down the road towards Shantalla or town.

What's the bets 'temporary' becomes permanent.

Nuts

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    So apparently there is a major f*ck up with where they put the 'border wall' at the side of Currach Buí on the BOD road side.
    They miscalculated and didn't leave room for the footpath (they were supposed to 'eat into' a bit of Currach Buí).

Not sure at all that is true TBH. They will dig out a bit of the temporary road section that is there now and will move the temporary road alignment a bit further south than the temporary road...mid May I'd say for that much once motorists and peds are finally transferred over to the Gleann Dara side.

There will be room for _something_ along the Currach Buí wall at that time and _then_ we shall see. :)

Even if it is as you describe the corpo ( who own Currach Buí ) can fix it once Coffey has gone, I shudder to think of the cost of the overrun if they give any such job to Coffeys. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not sure at all that is true TBH. They will dig out a bit of the temporary road section that is there now and will move the temporary road alignment a bit further south than the temporary road...mid May I'd say for that much once motorists and peds are finally transferred over to the Gleann Dara side.

There will be room for _something_ along the Currach Buí wall at that time and _then_ we shall see. :)

Even if it is as you describe the corpo ( who own Currach Buí ) can fix it once Coffey has gone, I shudder to think of the cost of the overrun if they give any such job to Coffeys. :(

It was in the original plans though, that a larger section of Currach Buí would be 'reclaimed' and a straight footpath would run along there. They built the new wall, and then knocked out a section of it when they realised the f*ck up. The pathway was supposed to continue on in a straight line (which makes sense if you think about it). There are a whole list of 'minor errors' that will just be glossed over. There was absolutely supposed to be a footpath on both sides.
    You can also see the horrible botch job where the edge of the new wall meets the corner house of Rockfield Park. Big gap with a piece of board shoved into it.

You are right about Corpo owning most (not all) houses in there, but they really tend to ignore that estate in terms of upkeep in general, so I wouldn't hold any hope for it being 'fixed' afterwards
    Whole thing is a shambles, but I hope they put a footpath in somehow, even if it means a windy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Drove through that area today and it is a very dangerous place at the moment,drivers don`t know where to turn,what lane to be in,a total mess.

inisboffin wrote: »
    You are right about Corpo owning most (not all) houses in there
    Ah but they own all the green areas which is enough. :)

I am personally more concerned abut the top of the job up at the Fort Lorenzo roundabout and why the retaining wall is incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

AS you drive towards the corrib park roundabout from Arch motors there is a very large section of an island on your right, whats that about surely the could have made the car lane wider than it is, not much room if there is a bus on my left, its very narrow. Trying to get out of Dunnes stores onto the new road is a nightmare, lights are red at Aldi so traffic builds up preventing you getting out to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

Whats this lane for ?

It's an accumulation lane for going straight ahead.
    The idea is that cars turning left into Dunnes will be waiting in the inside lane, while cars going straight to Aldi will wait in the outside lane.

It will be messy for sure.
    This type of design means that the lights will not be in sync with each other.

Oh thats why the lights have a delay on the left side , so what happens if a bus comes up on bus lane going straight ahead and you turning left ? Messy maybe a understatment !! So the current process of going into the bus lane to turn left will not alway be the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

DanielI wrote: »
    It's an accumulation lane for going straight ahead.
    The idea is that cars turning left into Dunnes will be waiting in the inside lane, while cars going straight to Aldi will wait in the outside lane.

That doesn't really make any sense.... surely traffic turning left into dunnes will do so when the main road will have a green signal to proceed straight on towards town. In what situation would traffic turning left into dunnes be stationary while traffic proceeding straight ahead be moving...... it is a turning lane for turning right - into what is now a wall... was this not mentioned in the oral hearings or when on display to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Advertisement

Indeed, like i previously said it would be leading into back of Higgins, where the proposed tesco is to be !:rolleyes:

Advertisement