Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep this thread informational please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Living that neck of the woods and have had to endure it for ....I lost count of the months. Yes badly needed but the majority of traffic is only passing through either heading across the bridge and further on, or heading west, still to see bus lanes fully utilised.

Still, I keep an open mind, will really have to see it in operation fully,but sure is a hell of a lot of lights every which way you look, not sure if everything will "flow".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

don't want to start a separate thread so does anyone know what the roadworks on Western Distributor road are working on? they're on the Dunnes roundabout at the moment and working their way towards Fort Lorenzo... I know they're installing the new bus shelters but is there some overall plan for the roads in the area as I've been told that Threadneedle Road is due for some kind of upgrade soon as well...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jkforde wrote: »
    don't want to start a separate thread so does anyone know what the roadworks on Western Distributor road are working on?

Electrical Cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Drove up that road today, got stopped at traffic lights at Arch Motors, Aldi, Dunnes and the entrance to Glen Dara. Free flowing it aint, when the lights at the turn off for Rahoon and the entrance to the Glen Oaks go in it will be even worse. Five sets of lights where there were only two before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Why 5 sets of lights? Are they all at junctions? Pedestrians are given more priority than drivers in Galway unfortunately.

There is a fence along the median of the road to prevent people from crossing at other places than designated spots. Those spots have lights so people can cross safely. As long as no-one is pressing the button at the pedestrian crossing the lights should stay green for cars.
    Once the works are finished I assume the lights will be calibrated, like they have been at intersections around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

biko wrote: »
    There is a fence along the median of the road to prevent people from crossing at other places than designated spots. Those spots have lights so people can cross safely. As long as no-one is pressing the button at the pedestrian crossing the lights should stay green for cars.
    Once the works are finished I assume the lights will be calibrated, like they have been at intersections around the city.

and wont the whole lot (Bothar na dTreabh junctions, SQR, ) be intelligently managed & controlled during peak usage to avoid and control any blockages..... hopefully! (our favourite word :eek: )

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

All traffic has switched over from the Shantalla/Rahoon Road junction up as far as Fort Lorenzo to the completed part of the road - more progress!

Not all the way up. The Fort lorenzo _part_ tie in should be done by friday next...1 June. Getting _really_ tight for a 15 June finish though as Coffey very very slowly dig the hill looking for the next cost overrun opps. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Heard that the Council are considering installing cctv cameras on the SQR bus lanes due to the amount of motorists skipping the lengthy queues.

more likely they'll ask AGS to station one or two heads on that stretch at random times over the first few weeks once its opened

Its what was done in Renmore and usually what happened in Dublin down through the years when they opened new QBC's.

Always used to get a chuckle when cycling to be overtaken by someone in the bus lane and seeing a Garda stepping out from behind the bus shelters where you couldn't see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

In Dublin they're realistic in that virtually all the Gardaí turn a blind eye to motorbikes or scooters using the buslanes. I wonder will it be the same here?

I've been using my scooter on this road the odd time, but to be honest it's not much faster than a car, what with all the traffic lights.

Unfortunately, I think I've made a similar choice to many people in that I'm continuing to use Taylor's Hill because S. Quirke is no better than it was before all of this started. It's a longer distance commute for me to use Taylor's Hill, but still faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There will be Lane closures at Circular Rd/Seamus Quirke Rd junction 8pm next Monday 28th of May to 10am Tuesday 29th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Heading west along the SQR earlier, lights beside Aldi went red on approach so I stopped. The guy behind me pulled into the left turning lane and goes through the red light and proceeds along the bus lane. It's not like he went through an amber, the lights were red for a few seconds before he went through. Knob!

Then a few mins later, coming out from Dunnes waiting for the lights to turn right onto the SQR - some old woman turned in from the SQR and went down the wrong side of the road even though it is clearly marked and we drive on the left in Ireland. Senile!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

One thing I've noticed is the amount of people that will turn right for Aldi heading from the Dunnes/Rahoon side even if the lights are red - most people seem to think that if it's green for straight on then they can turn right if there are no cars heading in the opposite direction :rolleyes:!

For turning right there is a separate yellow, red and green light - there is NOT a filter light as most people seem to think there is!

Also, anyone know why when heading west bound they are after painting the road in golden sort of colour just as you approach the junction for Dunnes Stores? Only the bus lane and the lane for going straight on have it - turning right for Dunnes the road surface is the usual colour!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

From the Galway Indo page as a heads up to people in the area.

TRAFFIC UPDATE: To facilitate surfacing works, lane closures will be in operation at the Circular Road / Seamus Quirke Road junction from 8pm tonight, Monday 28 May, to 10am on Tuesday 29 May. Traffic management will be in operation and diversion signage will be in place, while works are underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry if this is a thick question, but aren't the cycle lanes on each side one direction only (same direction as the road)? They seem too narrow to facilitate bikes in both directions. If they are uni-directional, what is the point of the 'look both ways' sign on the BOD road at the bus stop (warning pedestrians when they step out on to the cycle lane from the path, to go catch a bus). That bike lane that sweeps behind the bus stop is a bit of a nightmare. People don't seem to look *at all*.

In practise bikes will mainly be on the road in the bus lane and will use those offroad lanes to undertake stopped buses....I thought we agreed on that being the most likely outcome. As a motorist it means i can see them sooner and not...eg... turn left.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In practise bikes will mainly be on the road in the bus lane and will use those offroad lanes to undertake stopped buses....I thought we agreed on that being the most likely outcome. As a motorist it means i can see them sooner and not...eg... turn left.

Ok, but there isn't ramp access to zip from the bus lane into the bike lane except at the entrance to the lane? IE if you come up in a bus lane and the bus pulls in, unless you are in the cycle lane already, you will stay behind the bus. I am citing say the bus stop on BOD as an example, the one in front of the pitch headed River direction.

Also, maybe I didn't make myself clear...there is a sign for pedestrians at the bus stop, telling them to 'look both ways' when crossing the cycle lane. Surely the bikes will only be coming from one direction?

• Advertisement

Cycle lanes are 2 way .

Cycle lanes are 2 way .

Thanks. A friend who cycles regularly (not in Galway) said it depends on the area. I'd only ever seen people on bikes going in one direction on the stretch I mentioned, so I assumed it was one way. Two bikes passing in those areas behind the bus shelters would be pretty tight though.

Cycle lanes are 2 way .

They are not 2 Way. If that was the case you would have cyclists at the junctions ramping down on the wrong side of the road onto the bus lane/cycle lane. Cops would have to pull you over if you where doing that.
    Problem here is the bad design. The cycle paths should have been incorporated into the Bus Lane as a wide Bus/Cycle Lane. No need for chicanes around bus stops. Simple solution and cheaper to construct.

They are not 2 Way. If that was the case you would have cyclists at the junctions ramping down on the wrong side of the road onto the bus lane/cycle lane. Cops would have to pull you over if you where doing that.
    Problem here is the bad design. The cycle paths should have been incorporated into the Bus Lane as a wide Bus/Cycle Lane. No need for chicanes around bus stops. Simple solution and cheaper to construct.

So they're not 2 way? I get your point about the ramping what_traffic, and again I have only ever seen people cycling one way. Ok so, back to my question then, why does that sign say to look both ways? Anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a thick question, but aren't the cycle lanes on each side one direction only (same direction as the road)? They seem too narrow to facilitate bikes in both directions. If they are uni-directional, what is the point of the 'look both ways' sign on the BOD road at the bus stop (warning pedestrians when they step out on to the cycle lane from the path, to go catch a bus). That bike lane that sweeps behind the bus stop is a bit of a nightmare. People don't seem to look *at all*.

I think that sign is intended to warn motorists travelling towards Salthill to watch for cyclists coming from the "jug handle" turn accross the road.

Shouldnt there be an arrow beside the bike symbol if they are one way.

I think that sign is intended to warn motorists travelling towards Salthill to watch for cyclists coming from the "jug handle" turn accross the road.

The sign I mean is small enough. It is positioned fairly low down, and afaik is partially obscured by the shelter, so can't really be seen by 'to salthill' motorist. It is also on the opposite side o the road completely! I'm away at the moment but will check when I next pass it, I'm nearly sure it's intended for pedestrians though.

inisboffin wrote: »
    The sign I mean is small enough. It is positioned fairly low down, and afaik is partially obscured by the shelter, so can't really be seen by 'to salthill' motorist. It is also on the opposite side o the road completely! I'm away at the moment but will check when I next pass it, I'm nearly sure it's intended for pedestrians though.

You are right - it is intended for pedestrians exiting and entering the bus shelter from the path(where they have to cross the cycle path). Re why it says "look both ways" - have to ask the geniuses in Galway City Council /GTU regarding that.

Shouldnt there be an arrow beside the bike symbol if they are one way.

They probably will put it in the arrows like they have done recently on the Quincentenary bridge and put down the red surface(which is poor) on the cycle lane sections on road at the juntions like at the N6/N59 and Briarhill junction. However I presume its the actual facing of the cycle path sign that legally declares the direction of said cylce path/lane?

• Advertisement

A rake of off topic posts deleted, some infractions etc handed out.
    Stop bickering in the informational threads please, you're not doing anyone any favours.

Advertisement