Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

June 1, 2012 - 7:15am
    Roadworks on main city artery now over nine months late

– and still the work is not yet finished.

sigh, we are either the most patient or harmless populace on the planet to put up with this level of 'public service' management ineptness/corruption. here are the people responsible... www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/ManagementTeam/

anyways, back to talking about the signalling. they are out of sync at Dunnes for cars exiting left who can't advance on a green light because there are usually a bunch cars stuck behind the SQR lights blocking their way. free flowing it ain't.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

But it's not supposed to be free flowing. The purpose behind the upgrade was to add bus lanes and make that road safer for non-motorized traffic including pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

At the junction into dunnes there is a right filter lane coned of this is when you are driving into town from the top of taylors hill, where is it meant to lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

At the junction into dunnes there is a right filter lane coned of this is when you are driving into town from the top of taylors hill, where is it meant to lead?

The new Tesco store for which Planning Permission has not been granted yet. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

From the Sentinel's Facebook page ... about time Coffeys were asked some serious questions about what's taking so long.

41582_148746965181554_4345401_q.jpg

44 minutes ago

City Councillor Pádraig Conneely has requested that City Manager Joe O’Neill invites senior executives from Coffey Construction to come into the Council chamber to be ‘hauled over the coals’ and explain the series of delays to the completion of Seamus Quirke Road and the €6m overspend.
    See tomorrow's Connacht Sentinel for the full story [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Where was the bold Padraic a year ago?! People that represent us should have been shouting long before now,Ges even the people on this forum could see problems ages ago. Coffeys, good during the boom, finished on well ahead of time as they had so much work, but lean times mean we suffer. Will they even appear before any " Arse kicking committe" I'd say the blame for delays will be pushed back and forth across the table.

I see what Sponge Bob meant about a land take, looks like "someone forgot about the bus stop and bicycle swerve around it.:eek: Wonder which bright spark forgot that they would have to break into Friars Hill for that.Bit of a three ring circus alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

JackyJoe;79025979]Where was the bold Padraic a year ago?!

Padraic was the only one shouting about this farce. he was on about it last year when they failed to meet the completion date and has been ever since. Credit where credit is due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Wonder which bright spark forgot that they would have to break into Friars Hill for that.Bit of a three ring circus alright.

They were always breaking into Friar Hill for the bus stop area (only) but I recently heard they were breaking in from there right up to the roundabout.....which is possibly a new 'issue', but perhaps it is for the 110kv power line they have been installing for months along the distributor road only and not the road itself.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26136-coffeys-be-hauled-over-coals-over-westside
    Last week, Head of Galway Transportation Unit, Joe Tansey, said that the Rahoon Road junction coming onto the Seamus Quirke Road will be operational by Friday, June 8.

The remainder of the road will be completed by Friday June 15, he said

Note that Joe never said Coffey would be finished and would have finally f*cked off by the 15th of June.

If you will pardon my saying so I don't believe the road will be fully completed and opened from the Rahoon road junction to Corrib Park and by this friday either Joe. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Traffic lights erected at GleannDara/Circular Road junction today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

about time Coffeys were asked some serious questions about what's taking so long.
    Why, What's it going to acheive? Coffeys are taking so long and ramping up the budget because they can. Its the useless, unsackable, unaccountable civil servants who are responsible for this shmables who should be held to account. But this is Ireland so they won't be, they'll just get their yearly increments and a massive undeserved, unearned pension when they retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26136-coffeys-be-hauled-over-coals-over-westside

In fairness to Cllr Conneely, he has been the most vocal about this all along. Just as he was about the ridiculous overspend on the Eyre Square revamp some years ago.

Only problem with him is he's vocal about EVERYTHING so people just don't listen to him anymore

What is it about the sqr road, I constantly see the rules being broken every time I use that road, cars driving on the bus lanes and on a regular basis cars turn right at the Aldi lights when the lights are green for straight ahead only. Also what do you think about the lights at Aldi going strasight ahead, could they not be left green constantly except when someone wants to cross the road and presses the button, it would allow traffic to exit the Dunnes lights with no hold up, as it is its impossible to get out of there.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Also what do you think about the lights at Aldi going strasight ahead, could they not be left green constantly except when someone wants to cross the road and presses the button, it would allow traffic to exit the Dunnes lights with no hold up, as it is its impossible to get out of there.

So how would motorist traffic exit from OldSQR/Shantalla area onto the SQR then?

Oh Dear, Galway Advertiser headline tomorrow, apparently, is that this project will be completed by the 15th of June. It won't you know.

This is a reflection of the low browed muppetry that passes for "journalistic standards" in the Advertiser more than anything else. :(

snubbleste wrote: »
    So how would motorist traffic exit from OldSQR/Shantalla area onto the SQR then?

Yes forgot about that :D, also why is the centre island all the way along the road so wide surely it could be a narrow island with barriers they could have another lane there. I saw workers this morning sweeping up stones off the road, very bad idea to use stones as a filler..

Loose stones help to filter water as opposed to flat slabs and require far less maintenance than grass. Write to roads @ galwaycity.ie with your enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

In project management, there are three main yardsticks to measure the success of a project: whether is it on time, within budget and finished to a quality standard. So far it is clear, that Coffey Construction have failed on two of these three critical measures.

Like earlier contributors, I would not have faith in our local authorities to regard this as a poor performance.

In fact, reading this thread reminds me of a scam that Irish travellers used to do over in England. A young lad would be sent around to houses to offer householders the prospect of getting their tarmac driveway resurfaced at a cheap price.

After the householder accepted the deal, the construction (destruction!) lads would come around and remove the existing driveway. Then, they would ask for their first payment. Now that the driveway was lifted, the householder was told that he had made a mistake with the price and sure the young lad couldn’t be expected to know any better.

The unfortunate householder was now caught with his driveway in a skip and had to go along with the new inflated price.

Ouch!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Oh Dear, Galway Advertiser headline tomorrow, apparently, is that this project will be completed by the 15th of June. It won't you know.

This is a reflection of the low browed muppetry that passes for "journalistic standards" in the Advertiser more than anything else. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It will be finished by then, you know.

11 June 2013, that is.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

On galwaynews today: http://www.galwaynews.ie/26218-city-councillor-questions-flood-prevention-measures-seamus-quirke
    "
    June 8, 2012 - 9:11am
    City Councillor Padraig Conneely has called on city officials to review the flood prevention measures implemented at the new Seamus Quirke Road project."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

On galwaynews today: http://www.galwaynews.ie/26218-city-councillor-questions-flood-prevention-measures-seamus-quirke
    "
    June 8, 2012 - 9:11am
    City Councillor Padraig Conneely has called on city officials to review the flood prevention measures implemented at the new Seamus Quirke Road project."

He was on GBFM this morning giving it loads.

In fairness now, I went past that area yesterday evening and there was a massive deep puddle covering the width of the lanes approaching the roundabout.
    Mind you there were a few others around town as well such as on SeanMulvoy and you could see the drains overflowing. Yesterday was the wettest day in galway so far this year - 29.2mm fell.

I saw that flood yesterday as well, does anyone agree that the run off holes in the path are a bit higher than the road surface, so it is going to flood when it rains as the water has no way of draining away. It is very bad when you come out of Dunnes Stores going left as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

From listening to Podge on the radio this morning, it sounded like there was a veritable tsunami near Corrib Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Drove up SQR this evening to find that Rahoon Road junction is not open and inbound traffic is still on the 'wrong' side. Why am I not surprised:rolleyes:?

By the way, I don't for a second believe that the entire road will be done by next Friday (the 15th) either:rolleyes:!

By the way, I don't for a second believe that the entire road will be done by next Friday (the 15th) either:rolleyes:!

Neither do I. As I said some time ago they will probably be done as far as Dúnarus / Oaks Hotel by the 15th which will be a great relief ( the cemetary road itself looks a tad odd and may well be left like that but no matter).

I now reckon Coffey will finally finish and fúck off out of our sight on the 29th of June, the day before the Volvo starts. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Jesus.....lights at the glen oaks junction as well.............
    This road has to be the biggest farce ive ever seen. Thankfully im only renting over this side of the city. Id go mad putting up with this crap going back and over to work.

Galway is turning into a real nightmare if you need a car to get around. But at least the half a dozen buses will be happy....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Have they opened as far as the Glen Oaks yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

coup1917 wrote: »
    Jesus.....lights at the glen oaks junction as well.............
    This road has to be the biggest farce ive ever seen. Thankfully im only renting over this side of the city. Id go mad putting up with this crap going back and over to work.

Galway is turning into a real nightmare if you need a car to get around. But at least the half a dozen buses will be happy....:rolleyes:

That particular junction was signalised previously, so no change in that sense.

Is the new arrangement up and running now? If so, what is the arrangement for right-turning cyclists? I have a vague recollection that something eccentric was being planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    That particular junction was signalised previously, so no change in that sense.

Is the new arrangement up and running now? If so, what is the arrangement for right-turning cyclists? I have a vague recollection that something eccentric was being planned.

No it wasnt. Glen Oaks junction is for the road up to Rahoon Cemetry. For cyclists - jug handle turn with mini-cyclist traffic lights like at Bothar Le Chéile junction.

Advertisement