Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You are correct if the sign is in place - but SQR/BOD it is not. Therefore it is illegal to cycle on the "cycle paths" in any direction on SQR/BOD; even though they have the RUS058CL and RUS058RL in place.
    See photograph in post #941

I travelled the SQR 1.5 times in both directions today, with brood on board.

Barely 20 seconds after entering the SQR at the bottom of Rahoon Road I had a motorist race up behind me in the bus-cycle lane (as indicated by the sign, apparently). She was obviously trying to sneak past the lines of cars stopped at the lights, in order to turn left up the Circular Road direction. She even tried driving up on the cycle path to get past. Similar to the way some motorists weave left and right behind you on roundabouts, in order to get to the exit first.

A short time later, at the junction with Bothar Le Cheile, a taxi-driver (without passengers) who came up quickly behind me in the bus-cycle lane aggressively tried to intimidate me off the road with repeated horn-blowing, despite having enough room in the yellow box area to get by and go straight on. I was staying away from the left in order to avoid getting caught inside left-turning traffic. Words were exchanged, some in the vernacular I am sorry to say, and when I pointed to the sign indicating a bus-cycle lane he said something to the effect that if that were the case buses would be on the inside!

On the way back later in the day, passing through the junction outside Aldi, another taxi-driver (driving solo without passengers) invited me to go inside the left-turning lane. When I pointed out that this would place me inside left-turning traffic, and also pointed out the sign to him he seemed to agree that being in such a position would not be advisable. A much more pleasant chap than solo taxi-man #1.

Incidentally, that was my second time heading west on the SQR. First time was when I was heading into the city earlier in the day. I had originally wanted to turn right here but I missed the opportunity as I couldn't see clearly how to make the turn. So I just kept going and came back via the Browne roundabout, just for practice.

Naturally, I encountered one of those "salmon" cyclists, as I headed west near the ESB installation. As I passed him, me in the bus-cycle lane and him going the opposite way on the cycle path, I said pleasantly "you're going the wrong way!" He seemed bemused. Where are these wrong-way cyclists coming from at this point? Gleann Dara?

I reckon we'll see ongoing muppetry and maybe even some road rage or worse on the SQR. Could it possibly be the case that the Galway Cycling Campaign was right all along about those 3.125 metre wide bus lanes (though omitting to mention taxis at the time)? Surely not? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

None of that last post had anything to do with roadworks.

How COULD you !!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had such hopes for this thread when it started but the noise/signal ratio isn't working and real information is drowned out.

Iwannahurl and antoobrien are now banned from posting in this thread.

Not worth another thread. The Quincentennial Bridge approach from the SQR passes over a roadway that connects the 2 'halves' of the NUIG campus together. It is a narrow roadway with narrow footpaths.

SO! Maybe they will do all of this work described below at night and in the summer and we won't see any disruption. I am unaware of what "formation" means below.

Planning Application 12130
    National University of Ireland, Galway

Development Description: Permission for the N6 Underpass and Approach Roads and Greenway Enhancement Project to improve pedestrian, cycle and vehicular linkages between the north and south parts of NUIG Campus in the vicinity of the N6 Quincentary Bridge.

The works include the formation of a new vehicle/cycle/pedestrian underpass under the N6 Road and the realignment of the approach road/path network, with the provision of set-down, public transport and car parking facilities. The proposed new underpass is adjacent (east of) the existing underpass, which will be improved for pedestrian/cycle use as part of the strategic access network within the campus. The proposed works also include the provision of a riverside walkway as part of the City's greenways Initiative and other landscaped areas.

The works require the demolition of 2 no. buildings (former house and storage shed).

The development includes works to the existing stream that forms part of the City's network of watercourses, which are protected structures. The development includes a new stairway access to the south side of the N6 Road, landscaping, new walkways, safety fencing, lighting and all associated works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

So it seems from the last few pages of posts that bikes can travel on the cycle lane and on the bus lane. Some are even arguing that bikes can travel any direction they wish and (mis)quoting all kinds of statutes to support that*.

In summary, cars before the "improvements" had one traffic lane in each direction.

Cars now have one traffic lane in each direction, with more delays due to traffic lights every few feet.

The few cyclists appear to have more road space than all the cars, and the few buses are well catered for as well.

So for the vast majority of taxpayers and road users, what exactly is the "improvement"?

*We live in a Common Law jurisdiction. Statutory references are of limited use. Regard must also be had to precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not worth another thread. The Quincentennial Bridge approach from the SQR passes over a roadway that connects the 2 'halves' of the NUIG campus together. It is a narrow roadway with narrow footpaths.

SO! Maybe they will do all of this work described below at night and in the summer and we won't see any disruption. I am unaware of what "formation" means below.

Thank god this is going ahead, it was in planning since the early 80's. If they get BAM to do it, it should be done really quick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

churchview wrote: »
    So for the vast majority of taxpayers and road users, what exactly is the "improvement"?
    Err, the increased carbon-dioxide absorption of the newly-planted trees in the median maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Malice wrote: »
    Err, the increased carbon-dioxide absorption of the newly-planted trees in the median maybe?

Is that a hint of sarcasm I get?

They are lovely trees though and will only get better looking over time. An improvement as Malice noted. They will provide shade from the blazing sun as one sits in traffic.

On a 'Arboreal Incrementation Index' basis alone they planted around 48 trees for a cost of €16m so every single tree cost €250k each....were one to disregard every other 'feature' of the new road. Well worth it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sarcasm it was then.

I had a chat about this yesterday to put the time and money spent on this versus say the time and money spent on the Western Greenway and the perceived RoI and quality of live improvements for those in the area.
    While the projects look completely different one does have to put some level of RoI on both and a before and after picture does need to be evaluated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks SB, just posting the drawing on page 100 of the EIS document.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

kippy wrote: »
    Is that a hint of sarcasm I get?
    Just a smidgen :).

jkforde wrote: »
    thanks SB, just posting the drawing on page 100 of the EIS document.

Is the existing underpass going to be kept as a cycle and pedestrian way? Otherwise, if it's not, they seem to be just moving things to the right.

It seems they're removing some car parking space. This will cause uproar, but there is a good park and ride service from Dangan, albeit it doesn't operate during the summer.

Just had a good look at SQR there. These are my final predictions.

1. Coffey will finally be finished in time for the Galway Races, ie on the 27th of July. This means Coffey will have landscaping/road marking/road signs/anti skid applications/walls/cyclepath levels/traffic lights/barriers etc etc COMPLETED. Note Coffey is actually digging a new hole at the ESB Rahoon substation at present, maybe they left a digger down there. :(

2. Coffey will complete the Roadway ..not the RoadWORKS but the RoadWAY (ie not the landscaping/road marking/road signs/anti skid surface applications/walls/cyclepath levels/traffic lights/barriers etc etc) but including an open footpath and a driveable road all the way ..... by next Friday June 29th and just in time for the Volvo Race.

It will be tight but it is doable. They will not be finished with the roadway/path by Monday lunchtime nor indeed anytime before Weds.

I very much look forward to seeing the back of them next month. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Looks like there will be disruption!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26444-lanes-stilts-keep-bridge-open-during-works
    "
    Lanes on stilts to keep bridge open during works

June 22, 2012 - 7:15am
    Temporary traffic plan may be in operation for six months

BY CIARAN TIERNEY

Road users have been assured that a planned NUI Galway project to build a €1 million-plus underpass of the Quincentenary Bridge will not result in lane closures along the N6 route during the construction phase.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Glen oaks to the roundabout is fully tarmacced

• Registered Users Posts: 6 arch69

will it ever end?? was stuck in traffic on the SQR for over an hour and half last week..nightmare.. any chance they might open the bus lanes to traffic in the morning and evening peak hours like they do in Dublin?? I wonder would it work well here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

arch69 wrote: »
    will it ever end?? was stuck in traffic on the SQR for over an hour and half last week..nightmare.. any chance they might open the bus lanes to traffic in the morning and evening peak hours like they do in Dublin?? I wonder would it work well here?!
    lets hope not, no point taking a bus if the lane is gonna be clogged up with cars.

do they do that in dublin?

arch69 wrote: »

That's the opposite to what they do in Dublin. The bus lanes are bus only during the rush hours e.g. on the north quays they're bus only from 7 to 10 and then from 12 to 7. It wouldn't work in Galway as they're aren't enough buses to justify having a buslane at any stage on a road which is gridlocked with traffic, and which should have provided further roadspace for the vast majority of road users who have to travel by car.

Car traffic on SQR is far more congested than the quays in Dublin.

I might be missing something but what's the logic behind the new lights at the entrance to Rahoon Road? I can understand stopping cars coming down the hill so that people can turn right off the main road onto Rahoon Road but surely that manoeuvre can be completed without affecting traffic that's proceeding straight on?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Traffic needs to turn right/left from Rahoon Rd and there exists a road south adjacent to Glenoaks..all visible on your map

snubbleste wrote: »
    Traffic needs to turn right/left from Rahoon Rd and there exists a road south adjacent to Glenoaks..all visible on your map
    I'm well aware of those roads. To me there doesn't seem to be much traffic turning in those directions though, certainly not enough to justify stopping the traffic on the main road.

I've travelled the road twice in the last few days around 5pm in the evening. While stopped at the new shiny lights I counted three cars in total turning right out of Rahoon Road and none at turning right out of right out of that Glenoaks road. Meanwhile the traffic on the main road was solid. Would it not have made more sense (pardon the pun) to install sensors so that the lights on the main road only change once there are actually cars looking to turn right out of those roads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some of the Roads people were observing the GleannDara/Circular Road junction for a few hours yesterday, I presume to fine tune the traffic light sequence. Maybe your junction is next :cool:

Dunno
    You can send your hypotheses to <snip, you know full well not to post any mails>

snubbleste wrote: »
    Maybe your junction is next :cool:
    While it would be nice, it'd be quite a change to see something sensible done from a motorist perspective so I won't hold my breath.

Looks like they are installing 3/4 large galvanized zink kissing gates South of the Glenaoks junction on the Western side of the Bishop O Donnell road at the various entrys to housing estates along this section(Friars Hill and Bun Caise). So it looks like they dont want cyclists to actually use the "Cycle Lanes/Paths" on the BOD road. But the City Council have a clear history here - just look at South Park.
    http://maireadnichaoimh.blogspot.ie/2012_02_01_archive.html

The 'gates' are there to stop someone coming out of EG the new Gleann Dara predestrian access at speed (through the wall) and causing a cyclist already on a cycling path to do something sudden and potentially lethal. They are also there to enforce separation of pedestrians and cyclists across roads on junctions..for the good of the pedestrians.

A bit of enforcement action against cyclists ignoring red lights and cars using bus lanes is now required...compliance is pretty shambolic in both cases. :(

The 'gates' are there to stop someone coming out of EG the new Gleann Dara predestrian access at speed (through the wall) and causing a cyclist already on a cycling path to do something sudden and potentially lethal. They are also there to enforce separation of pedestrians and cyclists across roads on junctions..for the good of the pedestrians.
    Agree re control aspect - but there are ways of achieving this without using ugly galvanized kissing gates. Not sure what the second part of your sentence means?

Pedestrian CROSSINGS are for pedestrians only in this particular design.

Cyclists should cross from one side of the road to the other from the advanced boxes...IE always obeying the same traffic lights the cars should obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Ugh... the kissing gates!

I'm pretty annoyed by this actually. The previous gate type thing to stop cyclists getting access from Friars Hill to Bishop O Donnell Road was bad enough... I could only just the pushchair underneath it.

While I imagine the gates will be ok with a pram, it will be a real pain with the bike.

It is ridiculous, I'll have to cycle all the way around if the bike doesn't fit when I live just on the other side of the hedge (and cycle path) on Bishop O Donnell Road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Pedestrian CROSSINGS are for pedestrians only in this particular design.

Cyclists should cross from one side of the road to the other from the advanced boxes...IE always obeying the same traffic lights the cars should obey.

Uh no - according to the designers cyclists are supposed to do various contortions including 2, 3 and possibly 4 stage turns. At one point they are even supposed to hop up on the footpath to get around a corner. The reason they provided no bike boxes at the junctions was specifically to discourage cyclists from working off the same light sequence as the motorised traffic.

However, given that Joe Tansey's original position was that cyclists would "dismount and become pedestrians" at every junction it is still an improvement on the initial design (the last observation is not an endorsement)

Advertisement