Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Uh no - according to the designers cyclists are supposed to do various contortions including 2, 3 and possibly 4 stage turns. At one point they are even supposed to hop up on the footpath to get around a corner. The reason they provided no bike boxes at the junctions was specifically to discourage cyclists from working off the same light sequence as the motorised traffic.

However, given that Joe Tansey's original position was that cyclists would "dismount and become pedestrians" at every junction it is still an improvement on the initial design (the last observation is not an endorsement)

I should also point out that these design decisions, imposed despite trenchant opposition from the Galway Cycling Campaign, also create an incentive for cyclists to cycle on the footpaths and to cycle through the pedestrian crossings to get accross the road.

Now that I think of it, this may be one reason why the GTU have been arguing that its not illegal to cycle on footpaths in this country (lets not talk about article 13 of the traffic regs)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The reason they provided no bike boxes at the junctions was specifically to discourage cyclists from working off the same light sequence as the motorised traffic.

There ARE Bike boxes at the junctions ...the completed ones lower down. So use the damn things. :(
    I should also point out that these design decisions, imposed despite trenchant opposition from the Galway Cycling Campaign, also create an incentive for cyclists to cycle on the footpaths and to cycle through the pedestrian crossings to get accross the road.

Can you not simply call for de members to show some courtesy to pedestrians, like you should.

The one concession I would make is that cyclists should use the bus lanes anytime they feel like it as it is safer for every other road user ( and themselves) and there are no buses to impede after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There ARE Bike boxes at the junctions ...the completed ones lower down. So use the damn things. :(

Uh no what you see there are techically called "staggered stop lines" there are no "advanced stop lines" aka "bike boxes" such as might normally be provided to facilitate turning movements.
    Can you not simply call for de members to show some courtesy to pedestrians, like you should.

On various traffic lights around this city there are signs calling on cyclists to respect pedestrian crossings, respect traffic lights and pointing out that cyclists are drivers in Irish traffic law. Who might you think puts up these signs? Hint: their logo is a girl on a bike.
    The one concession I would make is that cyclists should use the bus lanes anytime they feel like it as it is safer for every other road user ( and themselves) and there are no buses to impede after all.

Heartily agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

On various traffic lights around this city there are signs calling on cyclists to respect pedestrian crossings, respect traffic lights and pointing out that cyclists are drivers in Irish traffic law. Who might you think puts up these signs? Hint: their logo is a girl on a bike.

I noticed that at the morris junction.
    The pedestrian lights have lights with bicycle symbols next to them, which would seem to indicate they expect bikes to use the pedestrian crossings :confused:

There are traffic light problems, firstly at the top of the Rahoon road coming onto SQR and secondly westbound at the Glenoaks where there should be a second set of stops beyond the first set of stops and BEFORE someone with a green out of Dúnarus could trombone you from the left....legally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Malice wrote: »
    I've travelled the road twice in the last few days around 5pm in the evening. While stopped at the new shiny lights I counted three cars in total turning right out of Rahoon Road and none at turning right out of right out of that Glenoaks road. Meanwhile the traffic on the main road was solid. Would it not have made more sense (pardon the pun) to install sensors so that the lights on the main road only change once there are actually cars looking to turn right out of those roads?

I totally agree, especially the Glenoaks one is holding the traffic up for no reason in many cases. The strange thing is, those sensors are definitely there, they're the black boxes in the road just before the stop lines. Those are detection loops which can detect large metal objects (ie cars). The lights just don't seem to do anything with the information they're getting.

I've heard that traffic lights don't exclusively rely on the information from those sensors because some smaller motorbikes (and normal bicycles) contain too little metal to trigger them, but in order to get around this they usually incorporate a short green time every few rotations, it's still better than including it in every rotation.

I also find it a weird stretched-out intersection in 2 parts with linked lights. I've already had it happen once that I couldn't pass through the second yellow box and was stuck in the middle (between the glenoaks and rahoon roads) between the 2 yellow boxes of that intersection. I then had no visibility on whether I was allowed to pass through or not. Because I had already passed the traffic light that was green at the time and there's no repeater at the Rahoon side. The traffic suddenly came to a stop and I didn't want to enter the box because I couldn't move beyond it. So I had to guess when 'my' light was green again. They should at least put a second repeater light there I think, before you enter the second yellow box. That would clarify the situation.

Edit: I think I'm just saying the same thing as Sponge Bob is saying here just above me, I hadn't read that far, sorry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I walked the length of it yesterday and noticed not one single litter bin. Anyone know if these are part of the plans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This thread has become very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It is quiet + its still not finished. Rahoon Rd/BOD junction still outstanding. Whats the final bill for this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Been through it a couple of evenings around 6-ish during rush hour last week, towards Salthill.

Overall I found traffic flow has well improved: Still congested as always, but at least a constant (albeit slow) movement forward most of the time. Took me about 10 mins from roundabout at back exit of UHG to roundabout Western Distributor Rd, bumper to bumper at all times.
    I think that's way better than being stuck along the westside with no indication how long it may take to get through to the other side. Plus buses and bikes can pass traffic, and pedestrians can cross safely at multiple points.

Leaving the duration and extra costs involved aside, and looking at it from a purely functional perspective, I think this piece of infrastructure is very good now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

havent been up there in a week or so - but are there any plans regarding the old Seamus Quirke road - as in, traffic lights, or closing it off, or something? I find it really odd that they should have a full traffic lighted junction for the relatively insignificant Glen Oaks turn, but nothing for the old Seamus Quirke Road.

Apart from that, traffic seems to flow better - although, looking at all the space (between cycle lanes and the trees in the middle etc), they really could have put in more lanes for cars, or some sort of contraflow lane that can be utilised in accordance with traffic volume - 2 lanes eastbound in the morning, and 2 lanes westbound in the evening or something.) While it looks nice, all the space is rather wasted (and as long as they dont put in proper commuter bus services from further West (Barna, Furbo, Spideal), people will continue to use their cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I found traffic flow has well improved: Still congested as always, but at least a constant (albeit slow) movement forward most of the time.
    Slow all the time compared to the road flowing pretty freely outside peak times the way it used to is far from an improvement in my opinion.
    Leaving the duration and extra costs involved aside, and looking at it from a purely functional perspective, I think this piece of infrastructure is very good now.
    Outside of the extra space afforded to those turning right at a couple of junctions where is the benefit to motorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Malice wrote: »

Outside of the extra space afforded to those turning right at a couple of junctions where is the benefit to motorists?

I can now get my supersized Big mac Meal home quicker before it gets cold. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

It is quiet + its still not finished. Rahoon Rd/BOD junction still outstanding. Whats the final bill for this project?

Ya it is very quiet of late....
    The misery of traffic lights has finally broken people.... tbf it has definetly improved of late, not nearly as bad as it was. I try and avoid it around 5-6 in the evening though, so I don't know if it has made a difference at that time...

Its laughable that they were promoting the grand opening of SQR the last few weeks, while blatantly not touching the Rahoon road junction until after the VOR.

I still think there is an issue between where traffic from Salthill direction stops outside Glen Oaks hotel and the distance it has to travel to pass through the junction.

ie. you could get your usual car driving through a changing light, and traffic going out the rahoon road already has a green before oncoming traffic has cleared.

Maybe the upgraded junction will solve this.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I passed there last night at midnight from the Salthill direction to town and got green the whole way, it seems to be getting better but I agree that the distance you have to travel from the Glen Oaks with a green light could cause an accident with a car from the Rahoon end if he got a green light.

The only one I saw getting caught there was a cyclist who broke the eastbound red at the Glenoaks and nearly got tromboned by a car coming down Rahoon.

They should add a forward stopping red light eastbound and nearer the Rahoon Road like Storm10 says. A car coming out of Dunárus and turning right on a green could hit a car coming out of Rahoon also on a green afterwards. BUT I would not make the forward stop go red UNTIL Dunárus went green for a right turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've seen two *very* near misses to hitting a cyclists where lower Rahoon Rd comes up to main BOD road. Think both cars were trying to cross lane to turn up to Circular Rd. Awkward turn, and they did NOT see bikes.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I've seen two *very* near misses to hitting a cyclists where lower Rahoon Rd comes up to main BOD road. Think both cars were trying to cross lane to turn up to Circular Rd. Awkward turn, and they did NOT see bikes.

Yes going to see alot more of this for sure. Wait till NUIG and the primary and secondary schools are back in Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was thinking that the other day as well. Whatever perceived benefits the roadworks have brought are largely due to the absence of the regular school traffic I reckon.

A London Councillor (orginally from Galway) questions the Madness.
    As a local councillor in the London Borough of Ealing where we did away with 24-hour bus lanes in the borough four years ago, I was very surprised to see one in Galway.

Obviously he doesn't want to host Tansey and the lads on a 3 day 'factfinding' tour but a letter to the Advertiser from that quarter would be nice.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/53688/galway-tory-councillor-aghast-at-total-ban-of-cars-from-westside-bus-lane
    was less impressed with the 24 hour bus lane. I'm not sure that there is a 24 hour bus service in Galway, but would be surprised that, even if there was, a bus lane would be necessary at 2am, or any other hour after 7pm and before 7am.

I do suspect that the 24 hour aspect is a legacy from the Green government and a condition of funding in the 2009 / 2010 era. Having said that it should have been a 24 hour bus AND cycle lane all along so I'll leave it to the cycling fraternity and good luck to them.

But I don't expect our offiials and representatives to sink to the courtesy of an answering letter, this is Galway after all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

But I don't expect our offiials and representatives to sink to the courtesy of an answering letter, this is Galway after all. :(

They won't.
    Dear Mr. Hayes.

I have a few small queries about the work so far carried out on Seamus Quirke Road.

The first is in reation to a merge lane as you traverse west to east, leading into the Bothar Le Cheile junction at the Maxol garage. This merge lane would appear to be designed to feed into the back of the Higgins site in Shantalla, which has planning applied for but, as far as I am aware, as yet unapproved. Has this merge lane been built to accomodate this planning application and, if it has, how was this built into the road plan before the plan for the Higgins site was applied for, as it must have been in order for it to be built already.

My second query relates to the Shantalla Road/Rahoon Road junction. Why are there no traffic lights positioned at the ESB substation to help with traffic flow at this junction? Or is this junction to disappear as per the suggestion of former Mayor O'hUiguin, despite his plans not yet having permission granted? To go back a couple of years, when the ESB redeveloped their site and put up the stone wall, why was a section not CPO'd in order to make that junction wider and, therefore, safer?

On a matter unrelated to Seamus Quirke Road, will your department be putting up diversion signage for the Volvo Ocean Race and the Galway Races? If you are, could you please have them showing people who are not familiar with the town where to go rather than signs that just say "Detour" and send people on an endless circle as they have in other years.

Thank you for your time.
    29th May 2012,

Good Evening ********,

We acknowledge your email and I wish to advise that it will be forwarded to the Mr. McElligott, Senior Executive Engineer, G.T.U Section.

Regards,
    Dear Ms ********.

Thank you for your, as always, quick reply.

I look forward to Mr McElligotts timely response.

I would like to add to my previous queries. Now that the road markings have been put down, we see that the previously existing right turn at the ESB site as from the city centre direction has been removed. This means that anybody heading from Shantall Road and Highfield Park must go via the junction at Aldi in order to get to the likes of Bothar Le Cheile and Dunnes Westside. Why has this been removed rather than being made into a proper junction?

Yours sincerely.
    5th June 2012,

Good Morning ********,

We acknowledge your email and I will also forward this email to appropriate staff in the G.T.U. Section.

Regards,

This same person seems to reply to all emails sent to GCC (I've encountered her in environment and transport departments); it's a shame that her colleagues feel that the general public are too low for them to correspond with.

Last weekend the merge lane was hidden from the view of the public by plastic sheeting and gravel. Doubtless it will be uncovered when Mr O'hUiginn gets his way and Tesco is built.

Another problem with this road is at the ESB substation where traffic coming from Salthill and turning left onto Rahoon Road has to cross 3 traffic lanes and a cycle lane with no junction control; in heavy traffic the first lane blocks the view of the rest, making it stupidly dangerous for everyone, especially cyclists (who, as previous posts by me will show, I'm not normally too fast to defend, but in this case they are in danger due to the stupidity of the engineers).

I am posting this correspondance here as it has been sent to a public body and has been ignored fo 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Fey: great letter/email. I'd forward that onto the local papers if I were you. The questions you asked need to be answered, they shouldn't get away with ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Send the letter to Padraig Connelley he is the only one who will raise the questions in the Council or the press.

Another issue I notice is if you come from Shantalla road as you approach the junction and say you want to turn into Aldi or turn right to go towards Arch Motors they have placed an island in the middle of the road with pedestrian flashing lights which cuts off your turn, you now have to wait until the lights for turning left go green to let you turn right.

I dont think there is a need for this island in the middle of the road its actually in the lined lane for going right, there are flashing lights both sides and a zebra crossing, what more do you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Another issue I notice is if you come from Shantalla road as you approach the junction and say you want to turn into Aldi or turn right to go towards Arch Motors they have placed an island in the middle of the road with pedestrian flashing lights which cuts off your turn, you now have to wait until the lights for turning left go green to let you turn right.

I dont think there is a need for this island in the middle of the road its actually in the lined lane for going right, there are flashing lights both sides and a zebra crossing, what more do you need.

That was always the case with the road markings though. However, a lot of people ignored the markings. The island really just enforces it. I have to say I agree with it being enforced - previously for example, if you obeyed the road markings and waited in the queue for the lights when wanting to turn right into Aldi, you would have people driving in the wrong direction over filter lanes to turn right into Aldi.

There's not really enough space there to have any other setup - in less than 50 metres they have to facilitate right turns into Shantalla, right turns into Aldi, right turns into the retail area where Fine Wines is and a signal controlled junction with the SQR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There's a new yellow box at GleannDara lights. It is being blatantly ignored.

I presume it was put there as traffic emerging were verging the cycle lane whilst waiting for the lights to change.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Send the letter to Padraig Connelley he is the only one who will raise the questions in the Council or the press.
    That would be the same Conneely who voted in favour of the rezoning, would it?

Road is still not finished. No work done on the remaining section -> Rahoon Road/ Bishop O Donnell junction this week. Probably Mid August after the buliders holidays that it will be finished?

That is being left I think, another buslane contract to be awarded on that Cemetary Road stretch imminently.....meaning it would be dug up again if finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That is being left I think, another buslane contract to be awarded on that Cemetary Road stretch imminently.....meaning it would be dug up again if finished.

Seriously? Do you know how long for? There were a lot of objections to that stretch of road, but I think it is going ahead anyway.
    Bit cr*p to be left dug up for an age.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Seriously? Do you know how long for? There were a lot of objections to that stretch of road,

WELL. As we all know Coffey finished in March then in April then in May Then in June then in July and possibly October.

However back when they were finishing in March this article appeared.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/1405/2012-10/News
    A sum of €650,000 is also ring-fenced for the Rahoon Road Bus Lane, which will see the provision of an eastbound lane between the junctions with Cruachan Park and Bishop O’Donnell Road. The lane will be predominantly used by City Direct’s 33, 34 and 35 routes and there will also be a cycle lane in the westbound direction. Construction is expected to begin this June.

Once Coffey go away the tender can be awarded and the Rahoon Road roadworks can commence...some time this year I should hope.

It was tendered 2 months back. That tender was noted in this thread around that time IIRC..(we were banned at that time from starting any new thread because of Iwannahurl and his interminable windbaggery) but I would consider recycling this thread for that project instead. :D

Advertisement