Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    (we were banned at that time from starting any new thread because of Iwannahurl and his interminable windbaggery) but I would consider recycling this thread for that project instead. :D
    You try to make it sound like the general traffic thread ban was solely because of IWH.
    This is not true and your own postings in traffic threads are also to blame for the general ban, as is postings of others.

Please keep posting on topic, the actual roadworks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have we permission to recycle this thread for Rahoon Road roadworks and the Corrib Park roundabout removal so????

How about we keep this for SQR and Rahoon and use another for the Corrib Part/Tesco/Magic/Bodkin/Headford Roundabout?
    The SQR/Rahoon roadworks are wrapping up soon, hopefully, whereas the big RB works haven't even started yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was the original quote under €10m?
    Galway City will be paying €600,000 every year for the next 20 years for the Seamus Quirke Road upgrade.
    The Council has applied for a loan worth €8 million, €2 million more than initially expected, from the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.
    The term of the loan is 20 years at an interest rate of 4.43% meaning the Council will need to source €600,000 per annum from its own diminished yearly budget. http://www.galwaynews.ie/27033-quirke-road-city-repay-%E2%82%AC600k-year-next-two-decades

• Advertisement

Wow.
    A huge overspend for the taxpayer. Final estimates are north of €16m

There was a Garda directing traffic at OldSQR junction with SQR today at 1700. I presume it happens most days? Can anyone verify?
    Traffic gets seriously bad there due to people still using OldSQR/Rahoon Road as a rat run, with road-long tailbacks in the mornings and evenings.

Dished kerbs are being created this week..so the SQR still is not finished :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

while I think overall the traffic situation has improved along that road (while traffic still builds up, it does move a lot quicker), some of the decisions they took regarding junctions and traffic lights are stupid, in my opinion.

To have a traffic lights for that Glenoaks exit is overkill (you could easily just make it 'left turn' only, and have people who want to turn right go up to the roundabout and turn - shouldnt be a problem...), and I'd say that junction is an accident waiting to happen, for the size of it (and because people run the red lights, don't stop BEFORE the yellow box, and all sorts of other muppetry as usual).

Traffic lights still don't seem to be well coordinated, from what I've seen.

Also people blatantly disregard the bus lane, and use it as a long 'turn left' lane. A bit of policing wouldn't go amiss...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

galah wrote: »
    To have a traffic lights for that Glenoaks exit is overkill
    galah wrote:
    Traffic lights still don't seem to be well coordinated, from what I've seen.
    galah wrote:
    Also people blatantly disregard the bus lane, and use it as a long 'turn left' lane. A bit of policing wouldn't go amiss...

I totally agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Saw the Garda, yesterday evening, but have never seen one there before, they were also a few other people in hi vis, that seemed to monitoring the lights.

When you say the old Rahoon road, your on about the road down past the Rahoon Graveyard, if so how is that a rat run?? There are 4-5 housing estates on that road, its a normal road. My understanding of a rat run is people cutting through a housing estate.Long tail backs are because the lights are not in sync at that junction and the lights above the Glen oaks and people coming down from the roundabout at fort Lorenzo, do not heed the two HUGE yellow boxes, could be the reason the Garda was out?

• Advertisement

No, I mean the stretch from Maunsells Road to Gleann Dara.
    Salthill/Knocknacarra residents use TaylorsHill/Maunsells/OldSQR to avoid most of the Kingston/SQR area and others use Rahoon Road to skip the entire SQR as it has no lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Just came accross this while looking for something else - have not read any of it yet.

Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport

Correspondence relating to the Seamus Quirke Road and Bishop O'Donnell Road development project and correspondence relating to the future of Galway Airport
    12 - 09 - 2012

http://www.dttas.ie/feature.aspx?Id=161

Interesting :) I'd say a local journo ( odds are it was Enda from the CT) asked for this data. You may wish to look at section 7.2 on page 15 http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/feature/FOI%202012%200048%20Part%202.pdf .

Interesting :) I'd say a local journo ( odds are it was Enda from the CT) asked for this data. You may wish to look at section 7.2 on page 15 http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/feature/FOI%202012%200048%20Part%202.pdf .

Wildo ta - any mention of the amazing dissappearing footbridge?

In that section 7.2 page 15 as well. You will have to do a bit of extra reading but start there.

Just had a chance to scan that section.

Well well well - now isnt that interesting?

My reading of it ...and you may well correct me...is that it eloquently extols the benefits of Shared Bus/Cycle Lanes and a Footbridge in order to get in a quick €1-2m or so towards the shortfall in 2012.

But I could be wrong and it might mean something else entirely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Just had a chance to scan that section.

Well well well - now isnt that interesting?
    Section 2.8 is also interesting in the above context. Only got to read that second document today.

ciotog wrote: »
    Section 2.8 is also interesting in the above context. Only got to read that second document today.

Ah yes see it now. It would seem they were telling the department they were building one thing while doing something else entirely on the ground.

(And representing themselves as having the approval of local interest groups while doing so)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ah yes see it now. It would seem they were telling the department they were building one thing while doing something else entirely on the ground.

(And representing themselves as having the approval of local interest groups while doing so)

Looks like telling porkies to me if you are ref the
    Section 4.0 Project Justification? It is very vague and misleading to say "and the wishes of cycling lobby groups" as part of the justification

Certainly did not get support from Galway Cycling Campaign - http://www.galwaycycling.org/seamus-quirke-road-loan-was-a-chance-to-force-a-needed-redesign/
    and
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/seamus-quirke-road-cyclists-issue-safety-warning-over-cycle-paths/

• Advertisement

I find the Comptroller and Auditor General is most unamused whenever state money is disbursed according to criteria that have not been properly met and even less amused when an email pointing this out is copied to the Istvan and Sven . I've had to prod some recalcitrant functionaries myself in the past and found that they have a significantly greater regard for Brussels than they do for the Irish taxpayer. :(

additional development at the Aldi site on Seamus Quirke Road

http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/planning-apps/#_12/341

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »

"perceptable increase in the number of cyclists and bus-users"

What about an actual increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

"perceptable increase in the number of cyclists and bus-users"

What about an actual increase?

They don't know hence City Hall will use vague terms like: "perceptable". They have never done counts for Pedestrians and Cyclists before or after the scheme. Bus operators can probably provide them with numbers on the routes, doubt it would it be so detailed that it show's numbers per bus stop

Yeah the bus services should be able to give numbers for increased numbers of passengers per route and time. Wonder if they will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

BUMP:

This new road works really well. It's easier getting in and out of Westside Shopping Centre and the sequencing of the traffic lights allows for less stops.

However, exiting the Aldi car park onto SQR is worse than it ever was. How did they not foresee this problem? It's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Paddyfield wrote: »
    BUMP:

However, exiting the Aldi car park onto SQR is worse than it ever was. How did they not foresee this problem? It's a disaster.

Agreed. Coming from Shantalla and trying to turn right onto the SQR is a complete nightmare. The light goes green for about 5 seconds, usually allowing no more than three or four cars through.

It would really help the situation if they put amber flashing filter lights as you turn left from Shantalla onto the SQR and right off the SQR towards Aldi. This was the old set up and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

24 hour bus lanes when there isn't a 24 hour bus service is retarded to be honest. 7am-7pm should be enough to cover bulk traffic times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Paddyfield wrote: »
    BUMP:

This new road works really well. It's easier getting in and out of Westside Shopping Centre and the sequencing of the traffic lights allows for less stops.

Wasn't/Isn't there a planning application in for a big Tesco development on SQR across the road from the turnoff for Westside shopping centre? Is that still alive??

If that materialises then you'd imagine that any current traffic improvements would be impacted.

Advertisement