Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Road resurfacing again on Old Seamus Quirke from Newcastle to Corrib Park, That bit has been resurfaced a number of times in the last few years yet always ends up lumpy, dug up and with drainage problems..
    What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I guess the drainage problems stem from the fact that fallen leaves from the line of trees along that stretch aren't cleared promptly enough and end up turning into mush which blocks the drains.

Very smooth surface now - perfect for rollerblading.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

snubbleste wrote: »
    Very smooth surface now - perfect for rollerblading.

Wait till it rains and see will it survive this time

Looks like there will be disruption!
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/26444-lanes-stilts-keep-bridge-open-during-works
    Lanes on stilts to keep bridge open during works
    June 22, 2012 - 7:15am
    Temporary traffic plan may be in operation for six months
    Road users have been assured that a planned NUI Galway project to build a €1 million-plus underpass of the Quincentenary Bridge will not result in lane closures along the N6 route during the construction phase.
    When is this due to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

When is this due to start?

No idea. Not sure it is even going ahead at this point? Perhaps NUIG Buildings Dept would be best place in finding this out?

Galway City Council is to carry out an urgent safety audit at the junction of Circular Road and Bishop O’Donnell Road at Corrach Buí.
    Cllr Cubbard says pedestrians and motorists are taking risks, and an accident will happen if changes are not made. http://connachttribune.ie/council-to-carry-out-safety-audit-at-westside-junction/
    Eh, what's he on about? What are changes that need to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I hope they are on about the Rahoon Road turning. I still can't believe they let the plans go ahead for a turning onto Rahoon road (across 2 lanes of traffic). and off the road (merging onto road just before a set of lights).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

topcat77 wrote: »
    I hope they are on about the Rahoon Road turning. I still can't believe they let the plans go ahead for a turning onto Rahoon road (across 2 lanes of traffic). and off the road (merging onto road just before a set of lights).

That was the original plan, or the second last original plan anyway, Rahoon Road and Circular road were supposed to line up as a crossroads.

That was the original plan, or the second last original plan anyway, Rahoon Road and Circular road were supposed to line up as a crossroads.
    That is true. Attached was a plan for that proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack_Plumber

That is true. Attached was a plan for that proposal.

Sorry if it is a dumb question...
    but why was the old Rahoon Road (near the ESB substation) not realigned as set out in the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Sorry if it is a dumb question...
    but why was the old Rahoon Road (near the ESB substation) not realigned as set out in the plans?

Probably due to the impact on the recreational lands. With the proximity of the junction into Gleanndara there's no magic bullet solution at that location.

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    Probably due to the impact on the recreational lands. With the proximity of the junction into Gleanndara there's no magic bullet solution at that location.
    Ya agree no magic bullet solution. Don't believe GlenDara was the only issue here. Private residence at the junction as well. Which maybe the answer to Jack_Plumber query about the realignment of the Shantalla Road?
    One of the plans had a new entrance into GlenDara behind the Glenoaks - so that they could use the lights junction at the Glenoaks.

Trees planted on SQR continue to die.
    All 70 trees planted, worth ~€20k are to replaced.
    The costs will be covered by Coffey Construction.
    http://connachttribune.ie/council-commits-to-replace-dead-trees-on-quirke-road-070/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Still dead are they?

I wonder whether the City Council and Coffey Construction will finally cop on and learn how to plant trees properly. It's not rocket science, as the hackneyed phrase has it. They could plant better trees at a fraction of the price, if they knew what they were doing. Still, it's only rate/tax payers money, so who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Do we need trees there at all we could do without those bloody stones covering the trees, why not another lane the central reservation is crazy wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Trees planted on SQR continue to die.
    All 70 trees planted, worth ~€20k are to replaced.
    The costs will be covered by Coffey Construction.
    http://connachttribune.ie/council-commits-to-replace-dead-trees-on-quirke-road-070/

Why do Coffey have to cover the costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why do Coffey have to cover the costs?

Probably because they included the landscaping in their original tender, and because they f*cked it up, it's down to them to make it right, instead of the City Council/taxpayer having to take on the cost of their mistake.

Eeden wrote: »
    Probably because they included the landscaping in their original tender, and because they f*cked it up, it's down to them to make it right, instead of the City Council/taxpayer having to take on the cost of their mistake.

I have not paid much attention to those trees at all so I don't know how many were planted, when they were planted or when they died or how many have died etc. But what evidence is there that it was Coffey that dekcuf up?

I haven't paid any attention to it either, but you can be sure that Coffey Construction won't pay for it unless it's got something to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Local area councillor Padraig Conneely – an outspoken critic of the €16.5 million Seamus Quirke Road scheme and its massive cost over-runs – said a report needs to come before the Council on why so many trees failed.

“This probably cost in the region of €20,000 and you’d have to wonder why so many of the trees died so quickly,” he said.

Sounds like a job for the ....

Special Branch :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I sawed what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Coffey Construction, the gift that keeps giving...

http://connachttribune.ie/plan-to-get-contractor-to-replace-dead-trees-201/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

dilallio wrote: »
    Sounds like a job for the ....

Special Branch :p

They wood be the right crew to sort it provided there was no shady evidence planted

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I still don't see the trees in the central reservation

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I still don't see the trees in the central reservation

They never removed the 26 redundant signpost poles from the Siobhan Mckenna road either once the Traffic calming measures ended. Clueless.

(I've probably posted this before here, a year or two or more ago, but...)

I've still got a roadworks sign on the ESB pole outside my house since the SQR roadworks - not complaining, it's very handy for taxis!

Can anyone recall the permission for the hospital access road to the roundabout?
    If I recall correctly, the Council only allowed access on business days until about 10pm, when the gates had to be shut. I can't find the correct application on the Council website

I've noticed that the gates are open on Saturdays, and some nights during the summer, they never closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Can anyone recall the permission for the hospital access road to the roundabout?
    If I recall correctly, the Council only allowed access on business days until about 10pm, when the gates had to be shut. I can't find the correct application on the Council website

I've noticed that the gates are open on Saturdays, and some nights during the summer, they never closed.

Well hopefully they will leave it as it is. Easy access and egress to and from the hospital are surely good things. Better to have ambulances and people in distress not getting stuck in Newcastle traffic if possible.

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Well hopefully they will leave it as it is. Easy access and egress to and from the hospital are surely good things. Better to have ambulances and people in distress not getting stuck in Newcastle traffic if possible.

Dangerous for pedestrians to cross there. You take your life in your hands in doing do. At least you are close to the A&E.

Advertisement