Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I have driven down Bishop O'Donnell Road this evening. Both lanes are open to traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I expected far more complaints in the last few weeks. Have galway motorists just capitulated to the extra time in traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm not a driver, but it is definitely slower throughout the day in a car, and not just at peak times.

Just found out that the giant hole in the pitch is to become some sort of underground reservoir to catch flood run off:eek: How odd, never heard of that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm not a driver, but it is definitely slower throughout the day in a car, and not just at peak times.

Just found out that the giant hole in the pitch is to become some sort of underground reservoir to catch flood run off:eek: How odd, never heard of that before.

There are many of aboveground 'attenuation' ponds beside all new motorways. They collect the water run-off from the roads during heavy showers of rain and release it back into the natural water system at a controlled pace. Same idea for the one in Westside, only difference is it's underground.

There was a chemical spill on the M4 a few years back and the chemicals ran straight into the local water systems because there was no attenuation ponds. Also, attentuation ponds can trap any contaminated water and allow the authorities to safely deal with.

inisboffin wrote: »

Doesn't a water main run under the pitches there? Reason I ask is two weeks ago, a burst water main led to posters complaining on the forum. I noticed the previous evening that there was literally a river of water emerging from the dug up pitch near junction Circular Rd/Rahoon Rd and gushing away down the path towards the shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

KevR wrote: »
    There are many of aboveground 'attenuation' ponds beside all new motorways. They collect the water run-off from the roads during heavy showers of rain and release it back into the natural water system at a controlled pace. Same idea for the one in Westside, only difference is it's underground.

There was a chemical spill on the M4 a few years back and the chemicals ran straight into the local water systems because there was no attenuation ponds. Also, attentuation ponds can trap any contaminated water and allow the authorities to safely deal with.

Yeah, I knew of the ponds, but I guess I just found it odd that it going under a pitch. But I am no engineer, so I assume it will be well cemented before the soft layers go on top. I just had awful images of little footballers zipping down sinkholes into the underworld:eek:

I think there IS a mains there, but not sure exactly where.

I assume they have thought of stuff like foundations nearby etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

snubbleste wrote: »
    I expected far more complaints in the last few weeks. Have galway motorists just capitulated to the extra time in traffic?

to be honest, I've chosen a different route now, and go in at different times (either a lot earlier, or a lot later), so I won't have to put up with it anymore...It looks messy enough though.

How is the detour via Miller's Lane working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I changed my work hours and am on the road at 7.30. Its great as there is no delay due to oncoming traffic from Knocknacarra and Threadneedle Road. I always drive home up Bishop O'Donnell Road, just in case the council open up the two way system as they have done recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

jkforde wrote: »
    if there's one thing that this thread proves is that the public will never be satisfied.. publicly offer them one thing (by placing it under their noses, eg public consultation) and they'll whinge and want something else, give them that and they'll demand the other.
    Your big problem here is consultation, in this day and age people expect and demand to have a say and discuss what's going to happen, as it will affect their daily lives. You can't release publications, pop an advert in the paper, and hope that people post in objections any more. If there was some central site, say galwaycitydevelopment.ie or something like that, with discussion forums where people could talk about and discuss planning decisions, maybe even vote in polls, you'd gain a lot more of an advantage. I mean its not like local level planning decisions are any kind of a state secret.

That last one I saw, Galway 2040 or whatever it was called, was a good example of how to do it wrong. Here's an initiative looking for ideas about Galway's future, and not a forum or discussion platform in sight, barely even a contact form, just a list of seminars and talks.

My group have a good bit of experience in soliciting ideas from the public, discussing them, and turning them into real policies, which by all accounts are fairly bulletproof - if anyone from the local authority wants to meet up and discuss that experience, send us a pm or email. It also might be a good area for an enterprising web developer to get in on if the council doesn't want to get involved.

Anyway, given the imho inevitability of an outer bypass being set up at some stage in the future, hopefully near, it might be a waste of effort turning the Séamus Quirke road into a main artery. I'd be curious as to the reasoning behind the bus lanes though, is there an expectation of increasing bus traffic from the Knocknacarra area soon, or just evening out the existing traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

I already had major problems with the roundabout at Corrib Park and now it's even more of a head ache. Driving through it yesterday was a real pain. Why can't they do it section by section instead of closing essentially a whole lane the whole way through.

• Advertisement

nisior wrote: »
    I already had major problems with the roundabout at Corrib Park and now it's even more of a head ache. Driving through it yesterday was a real pain. Why can't they do it section by section instead of closing essentially a whole lane the whole way through.

Write to the Council and ask.
    roads @ galwaycity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

snubbleste wrote: »
    Write to the Council and ask.
    roads @ galwaycity.ie

I will for sure. I'm a young, new driver in a little car so people like to cut in front of me alot with the roadworks happening. I must have a 'nervous driver' sign on my car. :mad: Wish I didn't have to drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

hi, anyone know if the bit of road from the round about to dunnes (coming down the hill from western dist side) is open today? Sorry I am not sure what the piece of road is called (siobhan McKenna?)

From the bits above it sounds like it was open a week or two ago just wondering if that was still the case......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

carmex21 wrote: »
    Sorry I am not sure what the piece of road is called (siobhan McKenna?)
    I think you mean the Bishop O'Donnell road. The Siobhan McKenna road runs parallel to the Seamus Quirke road behind Dunnes Stores.

I can't help you with whether it's open or not unfortunately :).

aha, thanks.
    I should have looked online before posting but in a rush as my Mum wants to head to Dunnes from Furbo side of town.

hmmmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Are you referring to dunnes knocknacarra/rahoon. You can access the distributor road no problem so coming from furbo won't be an issue. You'll also avoid the traffic jams in rahoon and westside due to the works

Thanks for that.
    I think she is in by now so must ask her which way she came and what the road works are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bishop O'Donnell Road open in both directions today December 2nd. They have taken up the barriers. Be carefule, only the inbound lane seems to be gritted. Quite slippery going up towards the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

all the time i was thinking it will be 2+2 , like it goes from dougiska 4..normal lines,
    just today saw project. :eek:
    am i only person thinking that it wont improve much?
    why they take 50% road for 5%(probably less) vehicles - buses?
    they could still drive on the road if there wouldn't be any bus lane,
    the same "solution" is on dublin road...AND???? traafic..

very stupid idea. so its basically adding a bus lane. heh..WOW..
    is there only brainless people working in galway county council? nobody could raised a hand?
    only one thing, cyclist finally wont be driving on the road,
    but that doest stop dumb cyclist to do stupid things.
    i saw one "ace" around month ago, he was driving on the road, and he had cyclist lane !!! :confused: (lane was free, nothing there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

sharky0922 wrote: »
    all the time i was thinking it will be 2+2 , like it goes from dougiska 4..normal lines,
    just today saw project. :eek:
    am i only person thinking that it wont improve much?
    why they take 50% road for 5%(probably less) vehicles - buses?
    they could still drive on the road if there wouldn't be any bus lane,
    the same "solution" is on dublin road...AND???? traafic..

very stupid idea. so its basically adding a bus lane. heh..WOW..
    is there only brainless people working in galway county council? nobody could raised a hand?
    only one thing, cyclist finally wont be driving on the road,
    but that doest stop dumb cyclist to do stupid things.
    i saw one "ace" around month ago, he was driving on the road, and he had cyclist lane !!! :confused: (lane was free, nothing there)

I'm not sure what the bus companies are planning but I'm hoping they'll make better use of this road when the bus lanes are there.

Re the cycle lane comment - As a cyclist in the city I regularly use the road as the cycle lanes are often not safe to use with pedestrians using the lanes, the only one I know of which is any use is along the Western Distributor road. And at the moment I have to use the road as the cycle lanes don't get gritted so they're dangerous.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the bus companies are planning but I'm hoping they'll make better use of this road when the bus lanes are there.
    Re the cycle lane comment - As a cyclist in the city I regularly use the road as the cycle lanes are often not safe to use with pedestrians using the lanes, the only one I know of which is any use is along the Western Distributor road. And at the moment I have to use the road as the cycle lanes don't get gritted so they're dangerous.

well they dont have choice now, since it would be embarrassment to council.
    i can only dream about scraping off those lines and do real 2+2.. make nice flow ..
    and that island in the middle, can go too, wider lines!

cycling thing...
    typical , i;m gonna drive on the road and no matter what!
    well most dangerous thing is to drive on narrow road, when cars have choice to pass you dangerously close or slow down to your speed and wait until you will kindly move youre arse of the road... and since cyclist are most stubborn users of the road ...never met a cyclist that even switched to EMPTY footpath:(
    i can give you tons of example like that, but...i dont have since youre the one who's doing the same..
    i used to cycle 11 km to work, for 8 months, and i was using road only if i didnt had choice, because i wasn't selfish, , i didnt want to create traffic, endanger me, and other road users..
    and when car hits you even at 50 km/h they gonna scrape you off the road, when you hit a pedestrian... (witch you must be drunk or blind) he is more likely to survive. make sense? jesus people... a bit of logic, and bit of thinking on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Cyclists are traffic.

Cyclists have a legal right to use the road.

It is against the law to cycle on the footpath.

It is against the law to overtake dangerously.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Cyclists are traffic.

Cyclists have a legal right to use the road.

It is against the law to cycle on the footpath.

It is against the law to overtake dangerously.

and? forgot to tell me that when red light is on i have to stop.

cyclist have right but is it smart? no , make sense? no
    thats why they have CYCLE LINES
    from 2 thing...driving on the road or driving on the footpath (WHEN IS SAFE TO DO SO) is A BIT more safer to drive on footpath...yes?
    its against the law to drive dangerously too..you know and i can tell you couple examples of our lovely cyclist driving like that(seen oin my own eyes)
    i can throw on you more it is against..and whats that got to do with anything? showed example, boyo , calm down and
    keep that "it is against law.." spech for yourself, nobody here was born yesterday...unless you?

drive on the bike, but dont forget youre only driving a bike its not equal to car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

and? forgot to tell me that when red light is on i have to stop.

cyclist have right but is it smart? no , make sense? no
    thats why they have CYCLE LINES
    from 2 thing...driving on the road or driving on the footpath (WHEN IS SAFE TO DO SO) is A BIT more safer to drive on footpath...yes?
    its against the law to drive dangerously too..you know and i can tell you couple examples of our lovely cyclist driving like that(seen oin my own eyes)
    i can throw on you more it is against..and whats that got to do with anything? showed example, boyo , calm down and
    keep that "it is against law.." spech for yourself, nobody here was born yesterday...unless you?

drive on the bike, but dont forget youre only driving a bike its not equal to car.

Sorry, don't follow.

Legally a bike is a vehicle under Irish law, and therefore cyclists have rights (and obligations). They are also more vulnerable than motorists, that is true.

Do you mean not equal in terms of size/speed/danger, or that cars are somehow superior and therefore motorists have more rights on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

well they dont have choice now, since it would be embarrassment to council.
    i can only dream about scraping off those lines and do real 2+2.. make nice flow ..
    and that island in the middle, can go too, wider lines!

cycling thing...
    typical , i;m gonna drive on the road and no matter what!
    well most dangerous thing is to drive on narrow road, when cars have choice to pass you dangerously close or slow down to your speed and wait until you will kindly move youre arse of the road... and since cyclist are most stubborn users of the road ...never met a cyclist that even switched to EMPTY footpath:(
    i can give you tons of example like that, but...i dont have since youre the one who's doing the same..
    i used to cycle 11 km to work, for 8 months, and i was using road only if i didnt had choice, because i wasn't selfish, , i didnt want to create traffic, endanger me, and other road users..
    and when car hits you even at 50 km/h they gonna scrape you off the road, when you hit a pedestrian... (witch you must be drunk or blind) he is more likely to survive. make sense? jesus people... a bit of logic, and bit of thinking on the road.

Real question, do you have a driving license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

make sense? jesus people... a bit of logic, and bit of thinking on the road.

read this back to yourself ALOUD.
    then go read the rules of the road
    http://www.rotr.ie/index.html

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Sorry, don't follow.

Legally a bike is a vehicle under Irish law, and therefore cyclists have rights. They are also more vulnerable than motorists, that is true.

Do you mean not equal in terms of size/speed/danger, or that cars are somehow superior and therefore motorists have more rights on the road?

well all know bike is vehicle .. cyclist have right to use road bla bla bla
    just use some common sense, dont be arse on the road thats it.
    they not equal in any category, by law we all equal...
    bikes dont give any protection?? so why doing everything do get under car?

Real question, do you have a driving license?

whats that suppose to mean? whats this got to do with discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

magentas wrote: »
    read this back to yourself ALOUD.
    then go read the rules of the road
    http://www.rotr.ie/index.html

Not that I'm picking a side here, but I cannot help but wonder how many cyclists actually read the "Rules of the Road"? (or how many were finned for a traffic offence?).
    The truth is nobody likes vulnerable road users on the road (I also include here pedestrians crossing the street where ever, when ever - just because the cars will stop). Cyclists are not liked by pedestrians if they use foot paths and not liked by car drives if they use the road. I guess both sides, car drivers and cyclists, need to be sensible.

Back to the real world: Has anyone noticed, that the road works stopped recently?

DanielI wrote: »
    Not that I'm picking a side here, but I cannot help but wonder how many cyclists actually read the "Rules of the Road"? (or how many were finned for a traffic offence?)
    Back to the real world: Has anyone noticed, that the road works stopped recently?

They have'nt stopped, they've reduced working hours due to the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

would people get a grip. there are some mad people who cycle and drive and walk, the specific form of locomotion chosen based on conditions and requirements... but the basic ethic in all circumstances is respect for the other. as someone notable said, 'treat the other as you would want to be treated yourself'. the argument that goes 'the other is a problem...' is one of uncivilised intolerance.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement