Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gandroid wrote: »
    do you think it's realistic/safe/logical to cylce from Spiddal/Barna/Furbo/Indreabhán/Casla to the other side of the city?
    People ....many of them live up bóithríns off another bóthrín a couple of miles off the main road and whether you like it or not, they are forced to drive.

I for one don't think it's realistic to be driving in a private car that far.

If people must live "up bóithríns off another bóthrín a couple of miles off the main road", then I can understand them driving to the main road, or perhaps to the nearest village, or even a regional P&R (yes, there are plans for some ... just very vague plans so far :-). But I don't think they should be driving individual cars across the city: it's a waste of petrol and of road-space. And TBH, I don't even think they should be living up there if it's not economically sustainable, ie if they cannot make a living off farming up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There's some class of a Park & (st)Ride on the west side of the city; Cappagh Road perhaps?

Where? I certainly don't know of one on Cappagh Road. but looking ahead, it would make sense to put one near Cappagh Park and use Western Dist. Rd. for buses...but at the moment it's not there.
    In addition there are several locations, including Salthill, where cars can be parked for free. I know of at least one person who parks her car in Salthill and uses a folding bike to get to work.
    So is it ok to drive as far as the car park in Salthill and cycle from there but not to drive to the hospital or the university which would be equidistant from the top of Bishop O'Donnell road?

I have been a cyclist since I was a child, and not too long ago commuted 120km a week to work and back.

Good for you if you're in a position to be able to do that. I love cycling too but like many others it's not an option for me in terms of my work schedule.
    All that said, I know that people commuting into the cit are not in the same position as city dwellers.
    I'm glad you acknowledge that.
    An awful lot of single-occupant car journeys within the city are superfluous, however.
    Again perhaps that is true in your opinion, but I'm sure many of those people would not see their journeys as superflous....or why would they undertake them? People who drive don't want to be stuck in traffic anymore than you want to see more cars on the road.

JustMary wrote: »
    I for one don't think it's realistic to be driving in a private car that far.

Of course it's realistic if they have not other means of transportation. People drive a lot further all over the country....for similar reasons.
    If people must live "up bóithríns off another bóthrín a couple of miles off the main road", then I can understand them driving to the main road, or perhaps to the nearest village, or even a regional P&R (yes, there are plans for some ... just very vague plans so far :-).

Some people "must" I'm sure. I agree about the P&R but until the exist then they are left with no choice. Where are the locations of the plans you mentioned do you know?

And TBH, I don't even think they should be living up there if it's not economically sustainable, ie if they cannot make a living off farming up there.

That is a disappointing point of view imo. Surely, people can choose to live where they like? But another thing is perhaps they didn't choose! There are a whole variety of reasons (historical ,practical, family related etc.) why people live where they do....it's idealogical to assume they should have considered the most efficient or greenest transport options of the wider public when most likely than not it wasn't a choice they could have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know a good few cyclists who don't mind the little roads (in daylight hours anyway) but it's some of the main roads that they find most unsafe. City to Inverin is dodgy, and don't get me started on Headford Road. Many I know take the long smaller back roads past Rahoon for example, when headed for Spiddle. Some people do the main roads, but a lot don't find it safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Again perhaps that is true in your opinion, but I'm sure many of those people would not see their journeys as superflous....or why would they undertake them? People who drive don't want to be stuck in traffic anymore than you want to see more cars on the road.

Something like 40,000 children in this country are driven a distance of 1km or less to school. There are people in my neighbourhood driving their children 800 metres to the local primary school, the equivalent of a ten minute walk.

That's superfluous in my book.

The local authority refused to install pedestrian priority crossings, by the way, when they were constructing the main access road in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

From the Cityhall:

Seamu Quirke/Bishop O' Donnell Road Update

03 June 2011
    Further to the improvement works currently underway on the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O' Donnell roads, please note the following:
    Coffey Construction Ltd. (CCL) will be constructing a watermain crossing on Seamus Quirke Road (in the vicinity of the Browne Roundabout) next Thursday night (9th June 2011). These works will require the implementation of a localised 'STOP/GO' system. Works will commence at 20:00 with all traffic restrictions removed before 07:00 on Friday morning.
    CCL have also been granted a road closure on Circular Road from the 10th June 2011 to 15th July 2011. It is intended to implement this closure on Friday 10th June 2011. The traffic management plan asssociated with these works is available below.
    Galway Transportation Unit wishes to take this opportunity to thank you all members of the public for their continued cooperation during the construction of this significant project for the Westside of Galway City. Should you have any queries contact our office at: (091) 894328.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/030611_01.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

That is a disappointing point of view imo. Surely, people can choose to live where they like? But another thing is perhaps they didn't choose! There are a whole variety of reasons (historical ,practical, family related etc.) why people live where they do....it's idealogical to assume they should have considered the most efficient or greenest transport options of the wider public when most likely than not it wasn't a choice they could have made.
    Ideology informs a lot of half baked planning ideas, rather than any semblance of a grasp on reality. Cars provide mobility and freedom to all, and attempts to make urban centres hostile to cars just ensures that people build even further away from urban centres. The justification for this idiotic climb back up into the trees is "the environment", but in a couple of decades we'll all be driving electrics anyway, and still be stuck with the warped planning decisions of the 2010s, like those godawful buildings from the 1970s.

And don't get me started on the genius that is high density housing in one of the least densely populated countries in Europe. I mean they have apartment complexes in Barna. Barna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

I thought about this a little as I drove through Claregalway recently, where there is a 24-hour bus lane in operation. Why, I wondered, was I being made to drive in single file past an empty lane?

The answer, I suspect, is that if both lanes are opened to the usual single-occupant private car traffic then the ultimate effect will merely be to facilitate motorists to get to the traffic jam faster.

Traffic expands to meet the space available. If you make two lanes of the SQR then you will have two lines of traffic heading towards the next bottleneck. Building more roads and allocating more road space to private cars does not solve traffic congestion -- quite the opposite. Traffic speed, traffic volume and junction capacity are related. It's a much more efficient use of space and resources to prioritise public transport, since this can address congestion and sustainability issues in a way that private cars can't.

Its the same anti car propoganda out of you in all of your posts, you should try living in the real world, without good public transport cars are a necessity, its that simple, accept it. You keep using the same unreasonable examples to justify banning cars from the world/punishing their owners.

Re the buslanes, you are completely missing the point, take claregalway out of it because that is an exception and argue the facts based on bus lanes in busy city areas.

Bus lanes in city centers shouldnt be 24hr. You should take a trip to dublin sometime, very few bus lanes are 24hr and they work very very well because of this. Galway city council are new to bus lanes, why cant they take the 20years experience of dublin city council, typical local irish councils no communication with each other, no learning from each others mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

I have been following this thread for quite some time now.

I live Knocknacarra (B&Q area) and travel to work in Parkmore. I start work at 8:30 and if I leave at 7:50-7:55, it takes me 15-20mins to get there by car.

My car broke down several times and I had to turn to the bus service.

I cannot take Bus No. 5 because the first one is supposed to leave Rahoon at 7:25 (see attached) and it is ussually late. Added to that the bus makes a 5mins stop next to the pitches in Westside. So it would be past 8:00 when I get to Eyre Square. Bus No. 9 leaves the city centre every 15mins from 7:00. It gets to Parkmore in 25-30mins in the morning. So, the next bus I could take is the 8:15. If you add the jurney time, I will arrive at 8:45, late for work.

Seeing how I cannot take Bus no 5, I turn to No. 33/34 (see attached). The only viable choice is the first bus at 7:10, which with Bus No.9 and waiting in rain in Eyre Sq. will get me just in time for work.

This means that if I want breakfast at home I have to get up at least at 06:00. However the car option allows me to get up at 07:00. Definitely, I'm not going to take the bus to work! However, if there were a direct west to east bus service (over the Corrib and not going to Eyre Sq), I could be convinced.

Having said that, read the last paragraph of this article in the Galway City Tribune (http://www.galwaynews.ie/19778-opposition-removing-city-roundabouts-mounting):
    "
    But at present Bus Éireann do not operate services along the N6 across the Corrib, and in an email to Mr Higgins, Ray McDonagh of Bus Éireann said “there are no current plans to operate a city service over Quincentenary Bridge. This area does not have sufficient population density”.
    "

When you take this statement from Bus Eireann and look at the bus timetables, you can see that they are not interested in the morning commuting of people going from one side of the city to the other.

Returning from Parkmore to B&Q takes equally long (waiting in Eyre Sq for 30-45mins). So I spend an extra two hours on the road, simply by taking the bus. This is not acceptable to my family. I think that the numbers speak for themselves and that I cannot be blamed for not trying to take the bus. I am sorry, but until I find a suitable service the car is the only way for me to get to work (I might add "and not getting wet").

The Bus Eireann statement is sad, seing how they are going to get bus lanes on the Seamus Quirke Rd. So there you have it: one hour extra in bed + not getting wet + no suitable bus service. Why should not I drive to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

DanielI wrote: »

I live Knocknacarra (B&Q area) and travel to work in Parkmore. I start work at 8:30 and if I leave at 7:50-7:55, it takes me 15-20mins to get there by car.

I cannot take Bus No. 5 because the first one is supposed to leave Rahoon at 7:25 (see attached) and it is ussually late. Added to that the bus makes a 5mins stop next to the pitches in Westside. So it would be past 8:00 when I get to Eyre Square. Bus No. 9 leaves the city centre every 15mins from 7:00. It gets to Parkmore in 25-30mins in the morning. So, the next bus I could take is the 8:15. If you add the jurney time, I will arrive at 8:45, late for work.

Seeing how I cannot take Bus no 5, I turn to No. 33/34 (see attached). The only viable choice is the first bus at 7:10, which with Bus No.9 and waiting in rain in Eyre Sq. will get me just in time for work.

Agree 100%. Live and work in the same area. Your above explanation was the exact same reason I started cycling to work over using the Bus when I moved to Galway. Only takes 30min by Bike + 15mins to shower & change. Much faster than the bus. Reason I choose cycling over a car - I always want to be moving at any time of the day. Walking and Cycling are only modes that you can guarantee that in Galway City.
    When you take this statement from Bus Eireann and look at the bus timetables, you can see that they are not interested in the morning commuting of people going from one side of the city to the other.
    100% agree. It was a disgraceful statment!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

100% agree. It was a disgraceful statment!
    He really meant to say "Just because you spent €10m widening the SQR to add 2 new bus lanes does not mean we intend to make any use of these bus lanes, so piss off"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It's getting *two* new lanes? So one will be empty around half eight, and one empty around half five, eh?

God, my kingdom for a contra flow system...

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Ideology informs a lot of half baked planning ideas, rather than any semblance of a grasp on reality. Cars provide mobility and freedom to all, and attempts to make urban centres hostile to cars just ensures that people build even further away from urban centres. The justification for this idiotic climb back up into the trees is "the environment", but in a couple of decades we'll all be driving electrics anyway, and still be stuck with the warped planning decisions of the 2010s, like those godawful buildings from the 1970s.

And don't get me started on the genius that is high density housing in one of the least densely populated countries in Europe. I mean they have apartment complexes in Barna. Barna!

"Mobility and freedom to all"!! What's that, the car dependence slogan for the masses?

Hilarious that car dependence should be seen as progress in Ireland, when the inexorable trend in the EU and elsewhere post-Kyoto is towards more promotion of active commuting.

Not much likelihood of Ireland's car addicts climbing back up the trees though -- the way things are going they may be too fat even to walk.

dell1211 wrote: »
    Its the same anti car propoganda out of you in all of your posts, you should try living in the real world, without good public transport cars are a necessity, its that simple, accept it. You keep using the same unreasonable examples to justify banning cars from the world/punishing their owners.

Re the buslanes, you are completely missing the point, take claregalway out of it because that is an exception and argue the facts based on bus lanes in busy city areas.

Bus lanes in city centers shouldnt be 24hr. You should take a trip to dublin sometime, very few bus lanes are 24hr and they work very very well because of this. Galway city council are new to bus lanes, why cant they take the 20years experience of dublin city council, typical local irish councils no communication with each other, no learning from each others mistakes

As a parent of two young children, I have to live in the real world.

As a motorist, I accept the evidence that building more roads does not lead to less traffic, that the opposite is in fact the case, and that economic (dis)incentives are necessary to curb unnecessary car use.

As a bus user, I welcome the growing number of QBCs and the trend towards greater use of other bus priority measures.

As a cyclist, I know for a fact that cars are not a necessity for many urban trips of, say, 1-5 km or even more.

This means that if I want breakfast at home I have to get up at least at 06:00. However the car option allows me to get up at 07:00. Definitely, I'm not going to take the bus to work! However, if there were a direct west to east bus service (over the Corrib and not going to Eyre Sq), I could be convinced.

Having said that, read the last paragraph of this article in the Galway City Tribune (http://www.galwaynews.ie/19778-opposition-removing-city-roundabouts-mounting):
    "
    But at present Bus Éireann do not operate services along the N6 across the Corrib, and in an email to Mr Higgins, Ray McDonagh of Bus Éireann said “there are no current plans to operate a city service over Quincentenary Bridge. This area does not have sufficient population density”.
    "

Returning from Parkmore to B&Q takes equally long (waiting in Eyre Sq for 30-45mins). So I spend an extra two hours on the road, simply by taking the bus. This is not acceptable to my family. I think that the numbers speak for themselves and that I cannot be blamed for not trying to take the bus. I am sorry, but until I find a suitable service the car is the only way for me to get to work (I might add "and not getting wet").

The Bus Eireann statement is sad, seing how they are going to get bus lanes on the Seamus Quirke Rd. So there you have it: one hour extra in bed + not getting wet + no suitable bus service. Why should not I drive to work?

The bit in bold above is a disgrace. The very first bus of the day late!

I once had to do the same commute. On the vast majority of occasions I cycled. Apart from buying quality rain-gear, one way I had of dealing with the really bad weather was to cycle to Eyre Square and take my folding bike on the bus. Very enjoyable, actually, though on a few occasions the bus driver tried to refuse me. The biggest drawback was the unreliability of the service (and the apathy of the drivers about it). However, traffic congestion is a major cause of bus delay and unreliability, so all bus priority measures are welcome, IMO.

Amhran Nua wrote: »

I'm glad you agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

As a parent of two young children, I have to live in the real world.

As a motorist, I accept the evidence that building more roads does not lead to less traffic, that the opposite is in fact the case, and that economic (dis)incentives are necessary to curb unnecessary car use.

As a bus user, I welcome the growing number of QBCs and the trend towards greater use of other bus priority measures.

As a cyclist, I know for a fact that cars are not a necessity for many urban trips of, say, 1-5 km or even more.

Why havent you addressed the issues that i have raised about 24hr bus lanes? You have a habit of only addressing parts of a post that suit you and ignore the rest of a persons post:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

On topic, I heard on the radio that there's a Stop-Go system in place either today or this evening at the road works.

Edit, from 8pm, in the vicinity of the Browne Roundabout.

Why havent you addressed the issues that i have raised about 24hr bus lanes? You have a habit of only addressing parts of a post that suit you and ignore the rest of a persons post:rolleyes:

I'm not really bothered whether bus lanes are 24 hour or not. If you think there's an evidence-based case to be made for a different arrangement then present one, preferably to the Council.

BTW, I would be of the view that there is a need for a regional transport authority to deal with these issues. Local Authorities can put in bus lanes but they have no role in the provision and coordination of public transport. That's why we sometimes end up with bus lanes and no buses...

Why havent you addressed the issues that i have raised about 24hr bus lanes?
    Its a non issue here.
    The reason they have put in 24h bus lanes is that it wont make any difference if they are 12h or 24h here
    The Peak times that Bus lanes are required is between 07h00 -> 10h00 in the mornings and 12h00-14h00 mid-day and 15h00 -> 19h00 in the afternoon. Outside of those peak hours traffic is lighter that you dont need this extra road capacity anyhow.
    Of the bus lanes in Dublin that are 12h bus lanes i.e 07h00 -> 19h00 you still do not see motorists using them outside of these peak hours as there is no reason to use them.

Its a non issue here. Of the bus lanes in Dublin that are 12h bus lanes i.e 07h00 -> 19h00 you still do not see motorists using them outside of these peak hours as there is no reason to use them.

I don't agree at all. They are usually used and are quite useful for cars turning left, which in turn eases traffic on the road as a whole. They should be opened up here too as it will speed up journeys during off peak hours. 2 lanes will always be better than one so long as they don't merge into one further along and even then it is better than one as some vehicles turn off/stop at destinations along the way.

In this scenario there would be 2 lanes (at least some of the time) from Western Dist. Road/SQR- over bridge-Headford Road/onto N6-M6. This is basically as close as we have to a ring road around the city and as the proposed Outer Ring Road is going to be on hold for a long time yet, it would be both justified and logical to open 2 lanes whenever possible with priority to buses during peak times.

The caveat though is that it is up to the relevant authorities and bus service providers wake up and utilise the exclusive bus lanes and provide the required quality/frequency of service on the routes passengers need during peak times (and other times). It is a joke that there are no cross city services serving eastern industrial estates via the bridge as things stand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Its a non issue here.
    The reason they have put in 24h bus lanes is that it wont make any difference if they are 12h or 24h here
    The Peak times that Bus lanes are required is between 07h00 -> 10h00 in the mornings and 12h00-14h00 mid-day and 15h00 -> 19h00 in the afternoon. Outside of those peak hours traffic is lighter that you dont need this extra road capacity anyhow.
    Of the bus lanes in Dublin that are 12h bus lanes i.e 07h00 -> 19h00 you still do not see motorists using them outside of these peak hours as there is no reason to use them.
    Anytime I'm in Dublin, I find the 12 hour bus lanes in regular use by motorists outside of bus lane hours and traffic flows all the better because of it.

I can think of a number of locations where traffic is kept moving onto a junction to turn left where it would otherwise be stuck waiting in a line, due to using the bus lanes; Merrion Road, the Stillorgan dual carriageway northbound heading onto Fosters Ave, southbound on the same road heading onto Booterstown avenue. When the buslanes are open to all, it makes these signal controlled junctions an absolute joy.

I'd love for a similar system to be employed on Seamus Quirke Road. Otherwise you'll have traffic looking to turn left up say the Old Rahoon road, sitting in a queue, emitting carbon dioxide for nought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Robbo wrote: »
    Anytime I'm in Dublin, I find the 12 hour bus lanes in regular use by motorists outside of bus lane hours and traffic flows all the better because of it.

I can think of a number of locations where traffic is kept moving onto a junction to turn left where it would otherwise be stuck waiting in a line, due to using the bus lanes

Agree completely. As I write this, I'm about 200 metres from the North Dublin Quays.

The bus lane on the entire North Quay is 7.00 to 10.00 and then 12.00 to 19.00. Outside of these hours they are extensively used by cars. It's simply untrue to say they're not used. At each junction, cars turning left who can't proceed allow the other traffic to proceed as they're in seperate lanes. On the South side, Pearse Street moves much more efficiently after 19.00 when there is an extra lane available for cars. Car volumes seems to increase after 19.00 on some Dublin roads as some drivers seems to wait until their is more road space available.

What's annoying car drivers about Seamus Quirke Road is that we will have all endured years of traffic chaos to no advantage if our circumstances or choice don't allow us to, or we choose not to, cycle or take the bus. One car driving lane in each direction before the upheaval and one after it. In effect, all that's been provided is a bus lane for non existant buses. Even this won't benefit the cyclists as they are legally obliged to use the cycle lanes and I understand that these are inadequately designed.

So with regard to the "development":

- Car Drivers have not benefited. One lane beforehand and one lane afterwards.

- Bus passengers have not benefited. No buses used the whole road beforehand and there are apparently no plans for a route to use it afterwards.

- Cyclists have a new cycle lane that it seems is inadequate in its design so arguably they haven't benefited.

So, other than creating employment for Coffey's workers, what the hell is the point of this entire mess?

churchview wrote: »
    So, other than creating employment for Coffey's workers, what the hell is the point of this entire mess?
    To avoid a budget cut in future, one would imagine.

Robbo wrote: »
    To avoid a budget cut in future, one would imagine.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi

The main reason the bus lanes will have to be 24hr is that they are bus and cycle lanes. While there are to be intermittent cycle paths, the designers have failed to provide for the normal turning movements by cyclists - in fact some of their suggestions are farcical. Cyclists trying to get to town via Shantalla are supposed to pull in to the left - wait for the lights - cycle accross the junction at Gleann Dara and hop up onto the footpath - cycle around the corner on the footpath and then try and get back out onto Rahoon rd./Shantalla.

It will be faster, safer and more convenient for cyclists to just use the bus lanes so a fair proportion of them will. Sports cyclists in particular will likely laugh at the cycle facilities when they see them.

However, the bus lane widths will be narrow about 3,25 m from memory. Any motorist who wants to use them will have to leave the lane to overtake cyclists. Probably much less hassle to keep the bus lanes 24hr.

Hopefully they will see sense after a while and redesignate the lanes to all traffic during off-peak hours. I'm sure this is possible?

Probably much less hassle to keep the bus lanes 24hr.

Unfortunately, the only people it'll be less hassle for, is likely the lazy feckers who couldn't design the road to accomodate all users in such as way as not to set different types of users against each other.

I don't agree at all. They are usually used and are quite useful for cars turning left, which in turn eases traffic on the road as a whole. They should be opened up here too as it will speed up journeys during off peak hours. 2 lanes will always be better than one so long as they don't merge into one further along and even then it is better than one as some vehicles turn off/stop at destinations along the way.
    I still dont think there would be enough traffic off peak on SQR to give benefit to this idea. Another issue is that all the left turns on this scheme (bar at roundabouts at either end & Old Rahoon Rd) will be traffic light controlled. So it may only speed up the journey time between light sequences, but not the overall journey time (Will be interesting what kind of phasing they will use).
    The caveat though is that it is up to the relevant authorities and bus service providers wake up and utilise the exclusive bus lanes and provide the required quality/frequency of service on the routes passengers need during peak times (and other times). It is a joke that there are no cross city services serving eastern industrial estates via the bridge as things stand.
    100% agree

Much better explanation than mine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

And much more lucrative for AGS. More potential fines for the state coffers from bold motorists driving in the bus lane at night-time foolishly thinking it's a twelve hour thing.

• Advertisement

And much more lucrative for AGS. More potential fines for the state coffers from bold motorists driving in the bus lane at night-time foolishly thinking it's a twelve hour thing.

I think we'll see buses before we see enforcement of any kind... :rolleyes:

Advertisement