Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler in the O2, October 6th

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭

This has been rumoured for about a week now, officially announced today.

October 6th Dublin, Ireland - The O2
    October 8th Glasgow, Scotland - Braehead Arena
    October 9th Glasgow, Scotland - Braehead Arena
    October 10th Manchester, England - Manchester Evening News Arena
    October 11th Nottingham, England - Capital FM Arena
    October 13th Cardiff, Wales - Motorpoint Arena
    October 14th Bournemouth, England - International Centre

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Bob-Dylan-and-Mark-Knopfler-Set-For-Dublin's-O2/77181.htm

According to this he's playing the gig with Mark Knopfler. I guess anyone who wants to see him playing has done so already but this might entice some punters along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I've updated the thread title accordingly, now that Knopfler's confirmed.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wonder would we hear much of Mark's stuff? I'm more of a Mark fan than a Bob fan...

Details are unconfirmed as yet, but the general opinion seems to be that they will each do their own set, similar to the shows Dylan used to do with Tom Petty and Van Morrison. Even though Knopfler has collaborated in the past with Dylan, I don't think that he'll be playing with him during his set, other than possibly contributing to the encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

O2 Priority tickets are on sale next Tuesday the 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I signed up for o2 priority tickets but dont know if i missed their text with the code for this concert .
    have they sent it out yet , if so has someone got the code

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Text BOB to 51020

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

CHEERZS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

anyone know the Knopfler set-list for this gig yet? No huge interest in seeing Dylan yet again but would like to know more about what Mark would perform- has he done this elsewhere with Dylan or is there any upcoming gigs to help me decide?-

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Cicero wrote: »
    anyone know the Knopfler set-list for this gig yet? No huge interest in seeing Dylan yet again but would like to know more about what Mark would perform- has he done this elsewhere with Dylan or is there any upcoming gigs to help me decide?-

Nope, the Dublin gig is the first date that they're playing together, which I think makes it all the better!

• Advertisement

Cicero wrote: »

It's impossible to know what Knopfler's set will include. He knows that there are a lot of people out there who still expect to see him play Romeo and Juliet and other well-known Dire Straits songs, and he's still happy to play them for that reason. However, as the years go on and he releases more solo albums, his set lists feature less and less Dire Straits material.
    If you're not familiar with his solo stuff, you might find yourself a bit lost. Having said that, we've no idea what he'll do on this tour. The fact that it's a double bill (and that he'll probably tour his next studio album in 2012 anyway) means he could "cater for the masses" a bit more on the Dylan tour and do a fifty-fifty set of solo and Dire Straits songs.

Just got tickets in the second row. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

It's impossible to know what Knopfler's set will include. He knows that there are a lot of people out there who still expect to see him play Romeo and Juliet and other well-known Dire Straits songs, and he's still happy to play them for that reason. However, as the years go on and he releases more solo albums, his set lists feature less and less Dire Straits material.
    If you're not familiar with his solo stuff, you might find yourself a bit lost. Having said that, we've no idea what he'll do on this tour. The fact that it's a double bill (and that he'll probably tour his next studio album in 2012 anyway) means he could "cater for the masses" a bit more on the Dylan tour and do a fifty-fifty set of solo and Dire Straits songs.

Just got tickets in the second row. Delighted.

how did u get tickets already?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

When do these go on general sale?? Just checked myself this thursday...

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    how did u get tickets already?

The O2 presale, as discussed above. A limited number of tickets for O2 shows always go on sale 48 hours in advance of the pubilc sale. You have to get a code by texting them from an O2 phone, then they text you back a code which you use to access the presale. It doesn't mean you get "better" seats, but it saves you panicking on the day of the public sale.

Another date has been added on October 5th, tickets on sale tomorrow for both dates. Just got front row centre tickets in the ticketmaster past purchasers presale for the 6th, there's still some good seats available in the flats on there

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

DylanJames wrote: »
    Another date has been added on October 5th, tickets on sale tomorrow for both dates. Just got front row centre tickets in the ticketmaster past purchasers presale for the 6th, there's still some good seats available in the flats on there

I can't see anything about a second date for the 5th? The only tickets left for the 6th, even at the €91 are way over at the side in row A. :(

SB-08 wrote: »
    I can't see anything about a second date for the 5th? The only tickets left for the 6th, even at the €91 are way over at the side in row A. :(

There will be another date on the 5th, it was published on Dylan's site yesterday but taken down, most likely because the 1st night hadn't even gone on sale yet and they're waiting for that to sell first

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a lot of people out there who still expect to see him play Romeo and Juliet
    Just like people might expect Dylan to play Hurricane, I thought it was very sneaky of them to play it on the TV ads for him, don't think he ever plays it live nowadays.

I see mention of a 2nd O2 date (meant to be a mistake) and a vicar street rumour on expecting rain.

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60960

Yeah there have been rumours of a club date but it might be unlikely now that he's doing 2 nights at the O2, I can't really see Dylan doing 3 nights in a row in Dublin but we live in hope!

2nd row centre tickets available on ticketmaster right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Anyone know the name of the Dylan song from the radio ad for this concert. It's like the first or second song on the ad. It would be one of his newer songs and when I say newer I mean from the 80's onwards. Can't find the ad online to listen to and give more specific details.

The quick clip you get sounds a bit like a verse of "Johnny be good". That kind of tempo and beat.

Its not tangled up in blue or forever young. I am pretty sure they are also on the ad.

Cheers to anyone who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Anyone have a better idea of the setup for the gig this week? Are they playing separately, together or a bit of both? Really looking forward to it either way. Mark more so than Bob going by the most recent tours. Gonna be a cracker :)

CiaranK wrote: »
    Anyone have a better idea of the setup for the gig this week? Are they playing separately, together or a bit of both? Really looking forward to it either way. Mark more so than Bob going by the most recent tours. Gonna be a cracker :)

It's Mark Knopfler and his band at 7.30 sharp, then Dylan and band at 9. It's possible that Knopfler will join Dylan for a song or two during his set but that's not a given. Can't wait for Dylan, his last two shows in Limerick and Cork have been fantastic so really looking forward to him. Could give or take Knopfler to be honest

It's Mark Knopfler and his band at 7.30 sharp, then Dylan and band at 9. It's possible that Knopfler will join Dylan for a song or two during his set but that's not a given. Can't wait for Dylan, his last two shows in Limerick and Cork have been fantastic so really looking forward to him. Could give or take Knopfler to be honest

Thats great. Thanks a mill :) That sounds like it will be fantastic. I might root out No Direction Home now and have a lazy Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All recent dylan setlists here
    http://www.boblinks.com/

About how long will Dylan play? Will it be his full set or a shortened one? I'm guessing it will be the full set if he is coming on at 9.

Hah, I'd be the opposite! I'd give or take Dylan but Knopfler would be my highlight! I like Dylan, but I like to pick the songs I like on my iPod and listen, wouldn't know what he'd throw at ya in a concert. Don't think he'd play "Red River Shore" or "Mississippi" or "Ain't Talkin".

Not going though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

What can we expect from Mark Knopfler? I'm ashamed to say I don't have any of his solo albums so will he be playing any Dire Straits stuff? If not then what albums of his should I get before Thursday? :D

What can we expect from Mark Knopfler? I'm ashamed to say I don't have any of his solo albums so will he be playing any Dire Straits stuff? If not then what albums of his should I get before Thursday? :D

It's hard to tell for this gig. I'm guessing, like on the last tour, He'll be doing the likes of Sultans of Swing, Telegraph Road, Romeo and Juliet and Brothers in Arms. For this tour he is in the middle of a new album so he is not promoting anything so it could be just like a greatest hits kinda gig. His last album was out in 09 is called Get Lucky. He was doing stuff from that on the last tour but that was promoting the album. This album has Both Straits and Knopfler stuff, It's just a Greatest Hits. If you don't have anything could be a good place to start. Just hard to tell seeing as this is the first gig of the tour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Dire_Straits_%26_Mark_Knopfler:_Private_Investigations

• Advertisement

I love Kill To Get Crimson and Golden Heart myself. Get Lucky is good but bot as good as those two.The Ragpicker's Dream is good also.

Advertisement