Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler in the O2, October 6th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

No. I was just making the point that someone who has followed Knopfler's career would regard some of his popular solo songs as "fan favourites", whereas people who stopped following his career after Dire Straits wouldn't see it that way. They'd regard "fan favourites" as being solely Dire Straits and nothing else. They'd expect Brothers In Arms, Romeo and Juliet et al. In fact, a man sitting near me repeatedly shouted for Sultans of Swing, which I thought was very wishful thinking on his part.

As I said in my original post, fans more familiar with Knopfler's solo material would probably have had no problem whatsoever with a set of exclusively solo material (once it was chosen well), but some of the songs played were strange choices, and it was very surprising that he didn't include even one Dire Straits song, especially when it wasn't his own audience. Those who went last night primarily to see Dylan may have felt hard done by when they didn't recognise any of Knopfler's songs, a problem accentuated by his decision to do no Dire Straits material, which, to be fair, everyone would have known.

Knopfler was obviously your main draw, and from your post, I suspect you think (as I do) that the song choice was ultimately poor and that he didn't maximise his time slot to the best degree.

The person I was with only knew one of the Knopfler songs and was disappointed with it. I thought he was good because I knew alot of the songs. I did think it was a strange choice as you said seeing as it wasn't just his audience. Altough I did see many there with Knopfler T-shirts on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i was looking forward to Knopfler, i didnt care if he didnt play any straits stuff at all but i`m afraid i didnt enjoy him
    there seemed to be something missing, maybe too many on stage, he seemed like he was going thru the motions
    a bit too self indulgent, which was a shame cos i was really looking forward to him
    dylan was fantastic, he blew him away on his first number alone
    charlie sexton on lead was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fireballs

I was also looking forward to seeing Mark Knopfler, and I have been an avid fan of his for over 25 years.
    However, I did feel somewhat bored and unfulfilled by his performance last night.
    His choice of songs and even his playing was somewhat lacklustre, as if he wasn't too bothered about pleasing the audience and more about pleasing himself.
    His solos were too long and a couple of them were if I dare say it, a little clumsy, and I just got the feeling that he was just going through the motions.
    It pains me to say all these things about the man that first inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn to play it, but that was my honest opinion.

As far as Bob Dylan is concerned, I thought he was gargling some hot gravel and his performance was a total let down for me.
    I wouldn't be one of his biggest fans in the first place, but after six rasped and snarled songs I left.
    His band were good, but the sound quality was very poor further back in the venue where I was seated.

Over all, after driving two and a half hours each way and paying over €80 for my ticket to see two such dissapointing performances, I was left wishing I had stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Best Dylan gig I have been at in a long time.
    I have seen him many times and tonight he really seemed to enjoy the show.
    His voice was a lot stronger and clearer than normal. He was dancing (as well as a 70 year old man can).
    The sound in the O2 is excellent. I am a big Dylan fan so am perhaps biased but the o/h has been dragged to many shows and this is the first she enjoyed the performance.

Knopfler was OK, there is no doubting the mans talent but maybe an old Dire Straits number wouldn't have gone amiss as a crowd pleaser.

Bob is never going to sound like he did 40 years ago and he has reworked most of the songs into a more soulful jazzy blues style to suit his vocal ability. Those expecting to hear the songs as they sound on the CD's will always be disappointed, those who expect him to interact with the crowd have never obviously been to a Dylan show before.

Bobs set list was:

Leopard-Skin Pill Box Hat
    Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    Things Have Changed
    Tangled Up In Blue
    Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
    Spirit On The Water
    The Levee's Gonna Break
    Desolation Row
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Forgetful Heart
    Thunder On The Mountain
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    Encore:
    Like A Rolling Stone
    All Along The Watchtower

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

Just had a browse through my old diary and realised that 6 of the songs that Mark Knopfler played on Thursday night he had also done when he last played the Point ( sorry I won't be calling it what they use now ) and that was in May 2010.

Now for any artist to try that would be pushing it but for a man with such a splendid selection to pick from is,quite frankly,taking the *iss !

Maybe it's time that Mr Knopfler stopped taking his many fans so for granted.

• Advertisement

Seems to be the only 2 videos out there at the minute

Knopfler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnGPYw6jlc

Dylan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yieovCRBAlY

For the record Mark Knopfler played Brothers in Arms at the Glasgow show on Saturday night so he is playing some Dire Straits material on this tour.He played a few more songs in total too but I guess he was born in Glasgow.

kenny d wrote: »
    For the record Mark Knopfler played Brothers in Arms at the Glasgow show on Saturday night so he is playing some Dire Straits material on this tour.He played a few more songs in total too but I guess he was born in Glasgow.

It was only one extra song. I think He might have come back for an encore but people just got up and went to the bar he didn't. You could be right about it being because he was born in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

CiaranK wrote: »
    It was only one extra song. I think He might have come back for an encore but people just got up and went to the bar he didn't. You could be right about it being because he was born in Glasgow.

I spoke to his sound man at the end of the night.He was due back on to preform Brothers in Arms as the encore but threw a strop backstage and wouldn't come back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cnk38

give it a miss.knopfler was excellent.am a big dire straits fan and although he did nt play any straits songs his guitar playing was worth the money alone.bob dylan-never again.stood on the stage for an hour and a bit and just mumbled.really dissappointed with him.

• Advertisement

CiaranK wrote: »

My sources say he played 11 songs in Glasgow on Saturday night and I only counted 9 at the Point on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Another absolutely fantastic gig from Dylan!!! Bob and the Band were firing on all cylinders in the O2 last Thursday, Brilliant set list, nice varied mix of classics and modern gems which blended together nicely, Bob was in great voice sounding very clear and powerful, and fantastically showcasing his talents on Harmonica, Guitar and Organ, Even dueling guitar solo's with the masterful Charlie Sexton, this was Dylan on fine form alright! I am a fairly big Mark Knopfler fan but it was clear to see why he was playing second fiddle to Dylan, His songs didn't take off and rock the house as well as Dylan's did, but it was a very enjoyable set all the same, consisting oddly of all solo material, no Dire Straits material, which would have probably have boosted the mood in the O2, Although after a matter of minutes of Mark and the Band leaving the stage the Dublin crowd were mostly shuffling about, and leaving their seats which probably canceled out the rumored closer of Brothers in Arms, which if true would have been a real pitty!! MK's guitar playing is a truly unique wonder to witness and he thrilled the crowd with some fancy fretwork which left the audience gasping! Overall a fantastic night of entertainment from two masters of the craft!!!

Advertisement