Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

• 14-07-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

With a budget as close to zero as possible, no training in programming/electronics or powertools where would you recommend a complete newbie to start on the road to Skynet-esque global domination?

Personally ,I have dreams of building my very own transforming intelligent honda 50 but I'm thinking my abilities are possibly not even to the level of creating a mouse (the wired one, with the ball underneath and only one clicky button).

Any suggestions on resources to get the inquisitive mind started?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

http://robots.ie is the first one that comes to mind :D

The problem is, a budget close to zero is doable, and no training in programming/electronics is doable, but doing both at the same time is... well, damn tricky. Which is more important to you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 qubix

Sparks is right. Unfortunately it takes time to build up the skills and acquire tools for building robots. It's easier to buy kits but the are generally expensive. Building your own is cheaper, you'll learn more but the learning curve can be steep.

If you can afford it best book out there if you are thinking of building your own robot is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robot-Builders-Bonanza-Gordon-Mccomb/dp/0071750363/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310642936&sr=8-1

Should give you ideas

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

On keeping costs down, I'd consider a 'scrapheap challange' type gig. See what parts or bits and pieces I can find on the absolute cheap or for free where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I've a similar question to LoLth, except I have a bit of a budget.

Is there any books about making simple robots or circuits and learning about them?

Ive been taking apart some of the older junk electronic stuff about the house, but how useful is this approach since any of the resistors/capacitors ect will probably have different values than the ones I need for projects.

Is it better to just buy a large assortment of components instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

If you're starting electronics from zero this is excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312361098&sr=8-1

You do need to buy tools and parts though. The publisher sells a few kits with lots of bits but they're not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're just starting, I'd probably say go into Maplin and buy one of their smaller kits. They're relatively cheap, you have everything you need to build something small and simple and you'll learn some basic soldering and component identification and such.

After that, well, I got started with amateur radio stuff, which does teach you a lot of electronics but not too much computer stuff (at least, not back then - these days, it probably does :D ). If you wanted to come at it from the robotics side, I'd buy a small kit (again, you have all you need and good instructions; yes, it's more expensive than DIYing your own out of parts from a dumpster, but you can't do the latter until you learn what the former will teach you).

Right, I have that MAKE:Electronics book on order, I got wire, alligator clips and an assortment of resistors on the way from oomlout.co.uk and I just bought stripboard, solder and mix bags of capacitors and transistors from ebay.

Aside from the book all the components came to about 50 euro.

I have my eye on this too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130518911998&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_1572wt_1080.

I have a soldering iron and some tools and other bits and bobs that I 'acquired' from junior and leaving cert technology projects.

There's also a class on arduino programming in Trinity on the 14th that I'm gonna put my name down for. :D:D

I think I'm off to a good start but is there anything else i should be looking out for?

There's also a class on arduino programming in Trinity on the 14th that I'm gonna put my name down for. :D:D

I'm running that class :) There was only one ticket left the last time I checked so if you want to do it I'd put down your name sooner than later. :D

qubix wrote: »
    I'm running that class :) There was only one ticket left the last time I checked so if you want to do it I'd put down your name sooner than later. :D

Just tried to book it there and i think the last place was snapped up. Any chance of extra places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I too would love if there was an extra place. Where can you buy arduino boards btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Right, I have that MAKE:Electronics book on order, I got wire, alligator clips and an assortment of resistors on the way from oomlout.co.uk and I just bought stripboard, solder and mix bags of capacitors and transistors from ebay.

Aside from the book all the components came to about 50 euro.

I have my eye on this too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130518911998&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_1572wt_1080.

I have a soldering iron and some tools and other bits and bobs that I 'acquired' from junior and leaving cert technology projects.

I think I'm off to a good start but is there anything else i should be looking out for?

Maybe get a Breadboard for prototyping.

Just tried to book it there and i think the last place was snapped up. Any chance of extra places?

Unfortunately I can't make anymore tickets available as I just haven't got enough Arduinos or alcohol sensors to give to people.

You can buy arduino boards from Farnell, Radionics online or I think you can buy them from the science gallery shop, in Dublin. Not sure what sort of selection they got though

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Maybe get a Breadboard for prototyping.

I got one of them too. All set up now, I just need to start reading some of the books and get down to building some circuits! My first project is gonna be something small, maybe a line follower robot :D:D

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it would be to get a job from being self taught in this field. I know I'd have to build a fairly impressive portfolio of projects but would a degree be required to get a job in the electronics or robotics field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

qubix wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't make anymore tickets available as I just haven't got enough Arduinos or alcohol sensors to give to people.

You can buy arduino boards from Farnell, Radionics online or I think you can buy them from the science gallery shop, in Dublin. Not sure what sort of selection they got though

Mouser (http://ie.Mouser.com) and Earthshine Electronics ( http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/ )(Both uk based) have a better selection of Arduino and compatible boards and bits than Farnell and Radionics.

Earthshine offer a number of videos, introductory manuals and links.
    http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/files/ASKManualRev5.pdf
    to learn the very basics of using Arduino input and output.

Advertisement