Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free car parking in/near Cork City

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im driving to Cork on Saturday and was wonder is there anywhere safe that i could park my car in/near the city (i dont mind a 10 minute walk) for free?

I will be driving in from the Limerick side - past Dinos etc. I was thinking of parking in the shopping complex across from Dinos...i think its a Dunnes shopping center but if its like most shopping centres these days i could be clamped.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Around that shopping center, (Blackpool) they have signs up saying if you park in the main car park for more then 3 hours you'll be charged

There is a place just before the Dino's and the traffic lights known as Sunbeam Estate, it's on the left if you're coming from Limerick and the easiest landmark is the sign for 'Southern Tyres',

There's two entrances, you'll probably miss the first, the second is easier to see but if you do miss i you can swing around in the topaz opposite

The place is empty, especially since Fás stopped using it as an overspill facility for apprentiships

The only place closer to where your coming from would be the housing estates close to the Shandon Tower, it can be bit of a labyrinth if your not familiar with the area

Anywhere else, even near the brewery have single yellow lines and a 2 hour limit posted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

If you come in to blackpool and see a petrol station(maxol),go right at the lights and just past the next lights up the hill you can park on the left by the neptune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

ofcork wrote: »
    If you come in to blackpool and see a petrol station(maxol),go right at the lights and just past the next lights up the hill you can park on the left by the neptune.

You would need to know Cork very well to follow those directions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm wondering where is the best place to park in Cork City Centre (somewhere close to the shops, etc.) coming from the Dungarvan/Youghal side. I tried Paul St. parking and saw Merchant's Quay parking but that's €2/hour and €2.20/hour respectively, I was just wondering if there was anywhere cheaper that's fairly central.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

coming in from that side you've 3 or 4 car parks that are around 7/8 euro per day. There's the train station, St Patricks's quay (just after Ship St.) and a couple more along by Victoria Quay.
    it's only a 10/15 minute walk into teh city centre from there depending which one you're in.

• Advertisement

Car park on Patrick's Quay is €8 all day. You'll drive past it coming in from Youghal if you come in past Silver Springs, it's across the River from the Bus Office so it's not too out of the way. Alternatively the on street parking behind the college of commerce is €2/2 hours if you get a spot there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I know I'm bumping an old thread please forgive me... But I was wondering where the cheapest place to park in the city centre was. Is it still the car park on Patrick's Quay or is it in City Hall???

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Anyone know if the 8e a day car park on Patrick's Quay is open on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

trishw78 wrote: »
    I know I'm bumping an old thread please forgive me... But I was wondering where the cheapest place to park in the city centre was. Is it still the car park on Patrick's Quay or is it in City Hall???

if you are looking for multi-storey car parks I'd say you won't beat St. Finbarr's car park, it's €2 per hour if you park on the roof, €3 per hour on any other level.

Other than that, you can buy parking discs which are €2 but there are rules about maximum stay on those aren't there?

UpCork wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 8e a day car park on Patrick's Quay is open on Sundays?

parking is free on Sundays anyway (on-street parking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

No matter what direction you are coming from, it's easy to follow signage to the "black ash park 'n ride, it's €5 daily with free bus transfer to/from city centre.

corkonion wrote: »
    No matter what direction you are coming from, it's easy to follow signage to the "black ash park 'n ride, it's €5 daily with free bus transfer to/from city centre.

The bus transfer is part of the service so it's not free, a great service and good value, but not free ;)

Advertisement