Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root canal problem!

Options
  • 14-07-2011 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Had a root canal done about two years agos on a back upper tooth.
    I am now experincing pain/soreness in it!:confused:

After doing some research I think I have figured out the problem,I should have had a crown on it. The dentist who did the canal said I would need one but that it could wait awhile, I couldnt afford it anyway as the root canal cost about 800e and I was just out of college.

I'm going to the<Snip> tomorrow and I'm very nervous about what they will say. I would hate to lose the tooth it would be very visible! I'v spent so much money on my teeth-braces twice, jaw surgery, four wisom teeth extracted, root canal and now just after losing my job, I believe my examination will be covered by my medical card, cant really afford to have anything done but going in because of the pain and to see what the story is. I'v also noticed a bit of brown discoloration on the back teeth, I floss every night and brush twice a day so I'm not sure why this is happening.:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Welcome to boards and sorry to hear op;

It unfortunitly sounds like you've missed the boat on this one.

A root canaled tooth usually needs a crown to strengthen it and to provide a good seal from the bugs in the mouth.

If it has been 2 years you may now have either as crack in the tooth or have some re-infection of the root canal system as it was not sealed completely by a well fitting crown.

This will most likely feel like a throbb, with pain on biting on the tooth or a small swelling with tenderness in the gum beside the tooth.

If cracked- it may be possible to save the tooth if the crack is above the gum but is unlikely
    If re-infected- you may need to have a re-do of the root canal treatment

If a crack is unfixable or the re-root canal treatment is too expensive- your only other option is extraction.

Go see your dentist- good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Sorry to hear about your problem. It is annoying given the amount of work you had but unfortunately if the tooth is cracked it may not be salvagable. Your dentist will be able to advise you.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IrishGrl

Thanks, the dentist couldn't tell me anything bout the tooth by looking at it, unless she X-rays it and opens it up, and she couldnt because I'm leaving dublin tomorrow. She wouldnt take med card,charged me 40e. I have 2 see a dentist in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marklee99

First of all yes change the damn dentist! Cus they should not let you go that long with pain! (Not right) second of all nothing should be falling off and does he/she know you grind your teeth @ night? Cus if they do know they should have given you a night guard! And third on the teeth that they say you need a root canal does it hurt? Or did they say to u u need a root canal? Cus if you don't have pain they are just playing you! Allot of dentist do this just for the money cus that's where the big bucks r @! So be careful! And hope you feel better!

marklee99 wrote: »
    First of all yes change the damn dentist! Cus they should not let you go that long with pain! (Not right) second of all nothing should be falling off and does he/she know you grind your teeth @ night? Cus if they do know they should have given you a night guard! And third on the teeth that they say you need a root canal does it hurt? Or did they say to u u need a root canal? Cus if you don't have pain they are just playing you! Allot of dentist do this just for the money cus that's where the big bucks r @! So be careful! And hope you feel better!

Woo, woo, steady on there, doesn't really sound to me like the damn dentist has done anything wrong. The op had a root canal and couldn't afford the crown to strengthen and seal the tooth at that time and now unfortunitly it has cracked or become re-infected due to the lack of that crown/ seal.
    Also the re-treatment has not started as the op is moving away and these treatments take a number of visits- best to start and finish somewhere else.
    Who said anything about grinding? Don't make stuff up if it is not a fact put forward by the op- you don't need to be a grinder to crack a root treated and non crowned tooth.
    The op had a root canal done previously, dentists don't play people when it comes to root canal and for your information- it is possible to need a root canal and not have pain beforehand, happens all the time.

This sh1t stirring does not help the OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'l have to agree with OS on this. Everyone i know who has gotten a root canal and also been told to get a crown.

A good friend of mine got a root canal two years ago, his tooth crumbled last week eating a bar of choc.. he knows it's his own fault he never went back to the dentist after he got his root canal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

All back teeth and most front teeth should have crowns after root canal treatment. If not there is an unacceptable chance of fracture of the tooth and the tooth might be lost. Also the crown is the best way to seal the tooth from infecting from the mouth. This is fact.

While many people dont choose to have a crown at the time, resoncibility lies with the patient.

I understand why it was better to wait and see a different dentist because they must plan the treatment. I just went to the one in Dublin because I was so worried at the time.
    I dont grind my teeth and I wear a retainer every night that covers my teeth. I had corrective jaw surgery a few years ago, before I couldnt close my mouth properly but after it I could however I think the way that my teeth meet now may be causing problems.

I know I should have gotten the crown ages ago, but my dentist in Tralee did tell me I could wait a while, I guess then with life and everything I forgot.
    I called into the dentist in Tralee, they said that they will look at it and that they will put a crown on it and another crown on the tooth next to it if needs be. I said would it be too late for a crown and she said no they can still do it, this was the lady on reception. That place is way to expensive for me, so now I'm going to see a new cheaper dentist in town who will make a treatment plan for me next week.

Tooth doesnt hurt any more, its just bit fragile,but my jaw hurts from not putting my teeth together.

Ok so went to that new dentist, consultation only a fiver! He said the tooth looks fine and they will take xrays to figure out whats causing the discomfort, he said doubts it needs a crown and that my teeth should last me as long as possible that a crown is a last resort. My other dentist was telling me I would need a crown right away. Another friend of mine had three root canals on the pre molars and was also told not to get crowns by a different dentist in Tralee, the dentist in Dublin said I would need a crown, I am confused.com!

IrishGrl wrote: »
    Ok so went to that new dentist, consultation only a fiver! He said the tooth looks fine and they will take xrays to figure out whats causing the discomfort, he said doubts it needs a crown and that my teeth should last me as long as possible that a crown is a last resort. My other dentist was telling me I would need a crown right away. Another friend of mine had three root canals on the pre molars and was also told not to get crowns by a different dentist in Tralee, the dentist in Dublin said I would need a crown, I am confused.com!

Mmmmm, I like to save patients money whenever possible and only recommend necessary treatment but.....

As previously posted- a root treated tooth really needs a crown to strengthen and seal it with few exceptions (some front teeth with good amount of tooth structure)...

Your dentist may be trying to save you money maybe coerced by yourself (understandably) but this is not in your best interest if a crown will lead to long term stability and no crown may lead to fracture/infection then extraction and a replacement with an implant or bridge.....

Think long term...
    Good luck,
    OS

• Advertisement
Advertisement