Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for travel directions Limerick to Bantry

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope its OK to post this here.
    I am after a bit of local advice on travel directions.

I am heading from Limerick City to Bantry on Tuesday, and dont know the roads around County Cork. I have only been in Bantry once before and was travelling from Cork City that time.

I am trying to find an easy route. Preferably avoiding having to travel through Cork City (for time saving and traffic congestion reasons.) I also would like to avoid the roadworks divert on the N20.

AAroutes suggest travelling on the N20 and turning off at Blarney and coming across on the R585, and that it will take 3hours.

Google maps suggest Killarney, Kenmare, and that it will take 2Hr 30min. OR Mallow, Macroom either via the R582 or the R619, again both taking about 2Hr 30min.

Could any locals suggest the best route or the pros and cons of these routes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Here you go:D

Start out on Ruthland Street
    0.31 At traffic signals turn left onto William Street - R527 (signposted Tipperary, Waterford N24)
    0.71 At traffic signals continue forward onto Upper William Street - R527 (signposted All Other Routes)
    0.84 Turn right onto Roxborough Road - R511 (signposted Fedamore)
    2.22 At Roxborough Roundabout take the 3rd exit onto Childers Road (signposted Cork N20)
    N20
    2.64 At traffic signals turn left onto the N20 (signposted Dublin N7, Waterford N24)
    3.11 At roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N20 then immediately
    M20
    3.70 Continue forward onto the M20 motorway (signposted Cork)
    N20
    12.49 Leave the M20 at junction 5, then merge onto the N20 (signposted Cork)
    39.14 Continue forward onto Cork Road - N20 Entering Charleville
    53.95 At crossroads continue forward onto Main Street - N20 (signposted Cork)
    53.95 At crossroads continue forward onto Main Street - N20 (signposted Cork) Entering Buttevant
    59.27 Continue forward onto the N20 Entering New Twopothouse
    64.52 Continue forward onto the N20 Entering Mallow
    65.15 At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the N20
    65.69 At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the N20 (signposted Cork)
    74.88 Blackwater Valley
    91.85 Branch left, then at roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the R617 (signposted Blarney)
    93.57 Continue forward onto the R617 Entering Blarney
    94.40 Turn right onto Saint Ann's Road - R617
    95.92 Continue forward onto Saint Ann's Hill - R617 Entering Tower
    97.35 Bear left onto Model Village - R617
    98.49 Turn left onto the R579
    103.24 Continue forward onto Leemount Place - R618
    103.38 Continue forward onto Leemount Place - R579
    103.48 Continue forward onto Leemount Place - R618
    103.55 Bear right onto Leemount Place - R579
    103.88 Continue forward onto Leemount Place - R618
    N22
    103.93 Turn right onto Carrigrohane Road - N22
    104.62 At Poulavone Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the N22 (signposted Tralee)
    105.59 At Killumney Link East roundabout take the 1st exit onto the N22 (signposted Tralee)
    106.49 At roundabout take the 2nd exit, then merge onto the N22
    106.59 Continue forward, then at roundabout take the 2nd exit, then merge onto the N22 (signposted Tralee)
    126.27 Turn left onto the R585 (signposted Bandon)
    127.17 Turn right onto Bishop Galvin Terrace - R585 Entering Crookstown
    129.89 Continue forward onto the R585 Entering Bealnablath
    130.55 Bear right onto the R585
    140.87 Continue forward onto the R585 Entering Coppeen
    145.92 Bear left onto the R585
    147.37 Bear right onto the R585
    171.60 Bear left onto the R584
    176.01 Continue forward onto the R584 Entering Ballylickey
    N71
    176.48 At crossroads turn left onto the N71 (signposted Bantry)
    180.87 Continue forward onto Rainbow Cottages - N71 Entering Bantry
    182.11 Arrive on Glengarriff Road
    Total time 3 hr 0 min

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Don't know the road numbers, but when I use to do that regulary many moons ago it was

Limerick/Mallow/Milstreet /Macroom/ Bantry

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Don't know the road numbers, but when I use to do that regulary many moons ago it was

Limerick/Mallow/Milstreet /Macroom/ Bantry

Thanks,

This is the route that Google maps came up with. Would you have any idea of what the travel times and road conditions are like?

I don’t mind twisty windy, back roads, but the O/H and nephew get a bit edgy with me on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Limerick to Macroom is a fine road.
    Macroom to Millstreet is backroad but its ok
    millstreet to Bantry is quite alright.

In general the trip should be fine :)

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thanks,

This is the route that Google maps came up with. Would you have any idea of what the travel times and road conditions are like?

I don’t mind twisty windy, back roads, but the O/H and nephew get a bit edgy with me on them.

They were decent roads when I went on them 20 + years ago, you won't be on any back roads there.

The 3 hours in INEEDANID post is reasonable if you was taking it handy like, can't say for sure as we disappeared into the back roads before we got to Macroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi Kiwipower,

I've driven the route a few times. If you travel Limerick-Mallow-Millstreet-Macroom-Bantry, the route is about 2 hours 45 minutes.

The road is in reasonable condition from Limerick to Millstreet. It's largely National Standard roads. The roads become more twisty and narrow from Millstreet onto Macroom and Bantry.

A word of warning: after you turn right beyond Macroom onto the R584 for Bantry N71, you come to a place called Toon Bridge after 4 miles.

There's a shop at the junction after the bridge. The natural course of the road is a sweep to the right - however that's the road for Glengariff.

You should travel straight ahead at the shop (R587) for Dunmanway/Kealkill.

After about 12 miles, you have to turn right off the main Dunmanway road for "Castletownbere", "Inchigeelagh" and "Kealkilll". It's an innocuous right turn at a house.

Locals - feel free to correct me here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Turn right in Macroom take the killarney road to the first pub on the left,turn left for ballengeary-bantry(you are on back roads here).Most people here reckon to get to Shannon in 2 and a half hours.goolge maps have pretty good directions.

Thanks a million folks 4all your help! Sounds like d macroom route is the way I will head! Cld any of u supply gr8 weather down there? Camping &kayakin with a 10yr old will need sun!

Thanks a million folks 4all your help! Sounds like d macroom route is the way I will head! Cld any of u supply gr8 weather down there? Camping &kayakin with a 10yr old will need sun!

Now you be having a giraffe

I might be having two Giraffe's now! :p

Any chance you could suggest anywhere interesting on this route to stop for lunch and something intersting for a 10year old boy to investigate for an hour?

• Advertisement

Can't help there gone to long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I might be having two Giraffe's now! :p

Any chance you could suggest anywhere interesting on this route to stop for lunch and something intersting for a 10year old boy to investigate for an hour?
    Try the toy soldier factory in macroom http://www.familyfun.ie/prince-august-toy-soldier-factory/

Thanks mp22,
    Thats a great website in itself!
    I love the toy soldier idea! Might stay there all day myself! ;)

Advertisement