Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carpet in kitchen !

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

is carpet in the kitchen & dining area in a house unhygienic???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Not if it's kept clean. I'd imagine it would easily stain though, but can't see how it's unhygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

thanks for reply
    its just that we are in rented property and landlord wont do anything about it as it stinks!!
    we were hoping it would be seen as unhygienic so we can make him put lino or something down instead!
    we are here 3 years with kids so you can imagine the whiff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Why don't you take it up and put some lino down then? It would be cheap enough I'd say! And worth it to be rid of the smell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

bazmak wrote: »
    thanks for reply
    its just that we are in rented property and landlord wont do anything about it as it stinks!!
    we were hoping it would be seen as unhygienic so we can make him put lino or something down instead!
    we are here 3 years with kids so you can imagine the whiff :eek:

Did it whiff when you moved in? If yes, why did you accept the house like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It was there when you moved in so basically hard luck - he doesnt have to do anything about it but after 3 years I would have thought that he might have the decency to. Mine would.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Did it whiff when you moved in? If yes, why did you accept the house like that?

no ,we didnt really think of the carpet issue until our first winter here.
    we have constantly raised the issue since but to no avail.
    neighbours told us the previous tenants had same issue before us.

Dovies wrote: »
    It was there when you moved in so basically hard luck - he doesnt have to do anything about it but after 3 years I would have thought that he might have the decency to. Mine would.

our landlord is unreal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

no ,we didnt really think of the carpet issue until our first winter here.
    we have constantly raised the issue since but to no avail.
    neighbours told us the previous tenants had same issue before us.

If it didn't smell when you moved in how did previous tenants have same prob :confused:

Also if it didn't whiff before, sounds like you and your family are causing it eg. Not keeping it clean.

Why don't you put down lino yourself? Lino is v inexpensive...

Why don't you take it up and put some lino down then? It would be cheap enough I'd say! And worth it to be rid of the smell.

we where told not to because the carpet in kitchen is woolen and cost him a fortune :(

we where told not to because the carpet in kitchen is woolen and cost him a fortune :(

Was it new when you moved in? Carpet doesn't last forever. Tell him you want to replace it.

Maybe you could clean it eg. Hire a carpet cleaner?

• Advertisement

If it didn't smell when you moved in how did previous tenants have same prob :confused:

Also if it didn't whiff before, sounds like you and your family are causing it eg. Not keeping it clean.

Why don't you put down lion yourself? Lino is v inexpensive...

maybe because they got it cleaned so somebody else wouldnt smell it !

we are constantly cleaning it but its 3 years on & rug doctor and shampoo are expenses we dont need to be spending.

just seems stupid to me to have it in a kitchen where spillages etc happen with 3 small kids in the house aswell.

Was it new when you moved in? Carpet doesn't last forever. Tell him you want to replace it.

Maybe you could clean it eg. Hire a carpet cleaner?

it was only shampood when we moved in but when it gets wet it stinks the whole house!!
    can i take a case up with prtb if i have asked for lino to be put down for the last few years?

sick of cleaning it at this stage and its time for a change

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it was only shampood when we moved in but when it gets wet it stinks the whole house!!
    can i take a case up with prtb if i have asked for lino to be put down for the last few years?

sick of cleaning it at this stage and its time for a change

when was the last time you steam cleaned it?

have you put down bicarnoate of soda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

It seems extremely impractical to have carpet in the kitchen. If you live in the house for even a year and you're anything like me, several food items are going to hit the floor in that length of time. (Or maybe I'm just clumsy)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Why not get a cheap covering of lino put OVER the carpet.

That way spillages won't seep etc.

spockety wrote: »
    Why not get a cheap covering of lino put OVER the carpet.

That way spillages won't seep etc.

good idea !:D

irishbird wrote: »
    when was the last time you steam cleaned it?

have you put down bicarnoate of soda?

we use a rug doctor every 8 weeks or so ,and herself is forever scrubbing it:D
    its blue carpet so stains are very hard to get out too.

i think i will just put lino over it as someone suggested .
    wish i had of started this thred years ago !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

whatever about the dining room, but in the kitchen? bloody hell! what kind of landlord, would have an issue with just replacing it with lino the likes of des kelly charge literally nothing for supply and installation. If landlord wont do it, would you consider splitting it between those living in house op? how big is the kitchen?

http://www.furlongflooring.ie/furlongcarpets/Main/2006-Location.htm
    http://www.deskelly.ie/flooring/
    http://www.linoritchie.ie/index.php

Idbatterim wrote: »
    whatever about the dining room, but in the kitchen? bloody hell! what kind of landlord, would have an issue with just replacing it with lino the likes of des kelly charge literally nothing for supply and installation. If landlord wont do it, would you consider splitting it between those living in house op? how big is the kitchen?

http://www.furlongflooring.ie/furlongcarpets/Main/2006-Location.htm
    http://www.deskelly.ie/flooring/
    http://www.linoritchie.ie/index.php

im living with my partner & kids :)
    landlord wont let me take carpet up because its woolen and cost him a fortune !! its blue btw ,looks disgusting,landlord is african so maybe they dont see it as an issue there or something? he just doesnt see why i want it gone... its going on 2.5 years!!!
    kitchen is quite big its about 16ft x10ft.

im living with my partner & kids :)
    landlord wont let me take carpet up because its woolen and cost him a fortune !! its blue btw ,looks disgusting,landlord is african so maybe they dont see it as an issue there or something? he just doesnt see why i want it gone... its going on 2.5 years!!!
    kitchen is quite big its about 16ft x10ft.

before anyone attacks me for being racist etc. i cant understand the logic for putting carpet in a kitchen and im sure 99% of homes here dont!!

maybe in other countries its the norm??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mmm, carpet in a kitchen is unhygienic without a doubt! And very weird.
    Is the LL receptive to anything else you've asked him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Can you not just take it up, put it in the attic, and say you'll put it back when you leave/he can put it back?

gambiaman wrote: »
    Mmm, carpet in a kitchen is unhygienic without a doubt! And very weird.
    Is the LL receptive to anything else you've asked him to do?

ye hes unreal,diswasher packed in and we waited 4months for a new one .
    toilets were the same.
    i offered to paint the whole house as it was in bits when we moved in and he didnt want it done either,ended up letting us off with 100 euro!!
    house incl.exterior i have done since moving in :)

Can you not just take it up, put it in the attic, and say you'll put it back when you leave/he can put it back?

might just go with placing cheap lino over it :D

Advertisement