Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heifer still coughing after dosing

• 14-07-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

have a heifer that was coughing with what i presume was hoose and dosed her over 10 days ago with closamectin pour on and she is still coughing . Why would this be , is this dose not effective or is it still taking effect ? It did make a light shower of rain about 2 hours after dosing but i don t think it would effect it .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

maybe a touch of chronic pneumonia or else she still has some form of parasites internally. probably the latter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What are the rest like?

Hoose is unlikely to affect just one animal. There may be one worse than others but there should be 'steps of the stairs' down to normal. There is often weight loss with it when the onset is slowish rather than explosive.

Treated Hoose will still cause coughing for some time afterwards but there should be a good improvement initially followed by a slow retreat.

If you've had pneumonia indoors then it could be a chronic case, as mentioned. They are prone to relapsing once it sets into them badly initially. Lots of weather stress about at the moment.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

would there be a chance that she didnt get the pour on ? maybe got through with out getting it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks for the replys. She definitely got dosed .The others are all fine.Greysides the same heifer had pneumonia bad very nearly lost her, but that was last november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

k mac wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. She definitely got dosed .The others are all fine.Greysides the same heifer had pneumonia bad very nearly lost her, but that was last november

ah well then I would be of the opinion its chronic pneumonia as I said above. Maybe best to consult your vet as I should be saying what to use without seeing the animal and im no vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

ah well then I would be of the opinion its chronic pneumonia as I said above. Maybe best to consult your vet as I should be saying what to use without seeing the animal and im no vet.
    Would she not be showing other signs if it was this ? She is eating no problem and is not on her own in the corner of the field. Also she is not empty looking from hunger or arched over her back like i have seen before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

ive no faith in pour on for ''dosing'' apart from lice......if i were you id get out my dosing gun and give her a good strong fluke and worm dose down the neck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

polod wrote: »
    ive no faith in pour on for ''dosing'' apart from lice......if i were you id get out my dosing gun and give her a good strong fluke and worm dose down the neck ;)

Agreed. Dosing with pour on is a bit like washing your feet with your socks on.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Agreed. Dosing with pour on is a bit like washing your feet with your socks on.:eek:

id tend to use pour on a good bit, along with white doses, and find it good enough.
    but that closmectin stuff is useless, had a few cans of it left in the shed that was ordered by mistake. said id better use it up on some calves. worst thing every, ya would swear the calves were never dosed, will use it up on some older stock in the fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guys, when you use an ivermectin type pouron, you will see the calves coughing more than normal in the week or so after doing. This is them coughing up the worms from their stomach, so it may appear that the pouron is not working.
    I did all my calves at the start of June, with Noromectin pouron, except for one wild one I couldnt get in at the time. A few weeks later you could see the difference in him compared to the others.
    My experience anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Would she not be showing other signs if it was this ? She is eating no problem and is not on her own in the corner of the field. Also she is not empty looking from hunger or arched over her back like i have seen before
    ITS ONLY WHEN THEY COME UNDER PRESSURE LIKE IN THE WARM WEATHER THAT IT SHOWS UP , WE HAVE ONE OURSELVES:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

She definitely got dosed .The others are all fine........... the same heifer had pneumonia bad very nearly lost her, but that was last november

I know it's playing the probability game a bit.............but I'd say you have your answer.

There may have been permanent consequences of her recovery that have come back to haunt her.

Time to talk to your vet, I think.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement