Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin router for 26 euro

• 14-07-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Is this modem router really reduced from 107 and is it good for eircom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

MapForJ wrote: »

You said everything you needed to in the first word of the title

Belkin

:mad::mad::mad:

I've replaced loads of old failed Belkin routers so wouldn't be buying even a cheap one myself even I have standards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

if it is, then it's a huge markup!

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001V72S06/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/175-8409345-4930111

belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492429

They're going on those sites for around 30 odd euro full price from what I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

70 euro in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Tom1991

i had one n binned it .was a special offer a year or so ago in pc world for 25 so not a great deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Belkin is rubbish, don't come back here looking for support for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have it, bought it a year ago, never had any trouble with it. I have 4 PCs and a laptop and phone working off it, both wireless and wired.

Compared to the linksys i used to have which cost a bomb and needed to be rebooted every day or so, this one stays on for weeks even months at a time, and never needs a restart.

The reason for the price drop is it doesnt support 802.11-N which is the new standard for wireless, but it supports b and g fine.

Also, its not a 'modem-router' its just a router, so you will need to keep your existing eircom modem, and use a crossover cable to share the internet with with.

syklops wrote: »
    I have it, bought it a year ago, never had any trouble with it. I have 4 PCs and a laptop and phone working off it, both wireless and wired.

Compared to the linksys i used to have which cost a bomb and needed to be rebooted every day or so, this one stays on for weeks even months at a time, and never needs a restart.

The reason for the price drop is it doesnt support 802.11-N which is the new standard for wireless, but it supports b and g fine.

Also, its not a 'modem-router' its just a router, so you will need to keep your existing eircom modem, and use a crossover cable to share the internet with with.
    thanks for that it is described as a modem router. what i want and maybe you guys can advise is a cheap backup modem router for eircom. recently my eircom router went kaput and had no net for a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The one you linked to is a modem/router. There would also be a router only model though, so it's best to be careful when buying any of these.

Don't buy that one though, Belkin routers are terrible. Get Linksys or D-Link, maybe.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just to echo the previous sentiments about Belkin.

They are awful. Avoid like the plague no matter how cheap they are.

thanks for that it is described as a modem router. what i want and maybe you guys can advise is a cheap backup modem router for eircom. recently my eircom router went kaput and had no net for a few days

Easy, all you need is another Eircom router, OK that sounds dumb but there are tens of thousands of old and many new Eircom routers kicking around doing nothing. Just ask if around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

+1 on the above opinions about Belkin.

Now, in fairness, I did work with a few Belkin modems in the past, and while those particular ones seemed to do their job well, features were limited and buggy. Trying to configure anything more than just basic internet access was a pain in the ring.

A little off-topic, but I did have a Belkin 4-port USB hub, many years ago, which caught fire after a few months of use, and burnt a nice mahogany computer desk I had. :(
    That might give you an idea of the quality of Belkins ****e, granted its a different product line. :P

Easy, all you need is another Eircom router, OK that sounds dumb but there are tens of thousands of old and many new Eircom routers kicking around doing nothing. Just ask if around.

would this be OK at 35
    . It is the one Eircom gave me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭kirving

I had one of those when I had eircom BB.

The previous router packed up, and I had to get one quickly. I coundn't order online, so I bought it for ~€100. Found it on Komplett as soon as I got online again for ~€50.

I wasn't happy in the slightest, but I never had a single problem with it, and the set-up was far better than the previous d-link model I had.

would this be OK at 35
    . It is the one Eircom gave me .

I've had no issues with Eircoms Zyxel but other people have so have to pass on recommeding that one. What I was trying to say, there are loads of the old Netopia routers knocking around, not perfect but often free for the asking.

I had one of those when I had eircom BB.

The previous router packed up, and I had to get one quickly. I coundn't order online, so I bought it for ~€100. Found it on Komplett as soon as I got online again for ~€50.

I wasn't happy in the slightest, but I never had a single problem with it, and the set-up was far better than the previous d-link model I had.
    Well i just got mine yesterday as my netopia packed up. I find it fine but pages very slow to open on vista - they hang at connecting- but flying on 7. Both Firefox.

Netopias are solid enough. Avoid Zyxel too, they can be very hit and miss.

Netopias are solid enough. Avoid Zyxel too, they can be very hit and miss.
    some say they are good:confused:

I work in the industry. They are so hit and miss that some will swear by them and others will swear at them.

I work in the industry. .
    recommend a cheap back up one

A netopia off adverts.ie

There's always plenty flying around. Some still new in their box for 30 odd quid.

• Advertisement

A netopia off adverts.ie

There's always plenty flying around. Some still new in their box for 30 odd quid.
    yes well i want a new one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

http://netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/DGNB2100.aspx

It will give you an 'n' option too.

dub45 wrote: »
    nice but 54 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I work in the industry. They are so hit and miss that some will swear by them and others will swear at them.

I had 3 different Zyxel modem/routers, and each and every one of them crapped out. They were great routers, easy to configure, lots of options, but terribly unreliable.

If it works, is a good model, and the price is cheap, then why does it matter? You want something cheap, but cheap and new is usually crap. If you pay less than €50 for a modem/router, then you're probably buying tat. You get what you pay for in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Serious snob factor against Belkin on here - bought a similar N300 one from argos for €35 to use with UPC - wirelessly streams 2gb mkv files to the PS3 flawlessly if thats a good test. Get solid connection all around the house with no drop outs. Works extremely well in my house, for a third of the price of the bigger brands mentioned above.

For the basics it seems to be doing the job very well. My 2c :)

mollser wrote: »
    Serious snob factor against Belkin on here - bought a similar N300 one from argos for €35 to use with UPC - wirelessly streams 2gb mkv files to the PS3 flawlessly if thats a good test. Get solid connection all around the house with no drop outs. Works extremely well in my house, for a third of the price of the bigger brands mentioned above.

For the basics it seems to be doing the job very well. My 2c :)

I think some of us snobs might have set these up for other people in the past and then been called back when a unit has failed. If its your job to set stuff up for other people you get no thanks if what you supply and fit fails.

Now if you know the limitations, keep the reciept, can set it up your self and don't mind the thought of a bit of extra effort on an item that might go wrong then fine a cheap router maybe the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

I think some of us snobs might have set these up for other people in the past and then been called back when a unit has failed. If its your job to set stuff up for other people you get no thanks if what you supply and fit fails.

Now if you know the limitations, keep the reciept, can set it up your self and don't mind the thought of a bit of extra effort on an item that might go wrong then fine a cheap router maybe the way to go.

I get the impression that the op is looking to do it himself, in which case you've confirmed that it should be fine! Seriously impressed with the one i got, maybe out wont last long,i dunno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mollser wrote: »
    I get the impression that the op is looking to do it himself, in which case you've confirmed that it should be fine! Seriously impressed with the one i got, maybe out wont last long,i dunno!

Im also impressed with mine. I dont have a fancy config on it, just WPA2, and normal routing, but I never had a moments problem with it. If it dies tomorrow, Ill go and get the same one again, because for ~20 euro, I have already gotten my money's worth out of it.

Compared to the Linksys that I suffered with for ages, because it cost a load of money, and I had to update its firmware regularly, and reboot it almost everyday. Linksys hardware has dropped in quality in the last couple of years IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Isn't this router £10 on play.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Bought one of these for a mate of mine (free shipping cos he got a few other things too). Basically he loathes all things IT but is starting a masters next year so finally has had to learn how to turn a computer on etc! It'll be interesting to see how it performs. I have a few of their 200mbs home plugs and they've performed really well. I'd imagine the router will be pretty good and should definitely be better than the Belkin I had a few years ago.

Advertisement