Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor ate my baby (and misled me)

Options
  • 14-07-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I signed up for the free iphone on meteor last month and went for the top package...65 euro a month with free M to M c&t. I needed this package as Im travelling in europe quite a bit and was given the impression (by the salesperson) that when in europe it would be "as if I was in ireland". Delighted I signed up and went on my merry way with a shiny new iphone.

Apparently any roaming calls and texts, even though void of any roaming charges, are added to my bill of 65euro! I was not told this at all!

The guy who sold me the phone did say not to use 3g while away as the charges on that are steep, led me to believe that the mins + texts would be taken from my package!

So now i'm left paying 65euro a month for two years and using absolutely nothing from the allowance, except maybe 3 or 4 texts and a few mins when i'm home the odd weekend!

Does anyone know if i can temporarily change my contract until I will be in ireland more permanent?

There has to be something I can do as I was totally misled!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd push for a cancellation of the contract, it was mis-sold to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

If you read the terms and conditions you'll find that thats what you signed up to, and to be honest you really should have made sure, as you knew you were going away. The prospect of a shiney new iPhone 4 meant you didn't do your research.

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/noroaming_charges_europe/
    "3. Following valid opt-in, the Roaming Offer involves the application, on Qualifying Plans indicated below, of normal domestic voice and text out-of-bundle rates for current tariff plans and a 25cent per minute and 10cent per text for historic bill pay legacy plans."

It's in paragraph 3, while the first two define terms used and tell you how to sign up. It's not buried deep in legal language on at the very end. I understand you may have been misled, but "being charged as if you were in Ireland" is clear enough.

To be fair though, my parents are on holidays at the moment and also presumed that "No roaming charges" meant that theier minutes would be used. However, a two week holiday is different to moving away, and the phone wasn't bought on the premise of free euro calls.

Call back to the Metoer store and see what they say anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Unfortunately you signed a contract and if you didn't read all of the terms and conditions of the contract regardless of what the sales person told you then you agreed to these charges.

It wouldn't hold up very well in court, not that I'm a lawyer or offering legal advice or anything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

When he said it would be like I was in Ireland that was when I asked him about my free meteor to meteor calls and texts.
    I didn't do much research but that can't be addressed now.

I'm not thinking of going to court that would be a ridiculous course of action considering as has been said, all T&Cs are easy to find...

I'm saying that I feel that I was misled in how the sales guy put the roaming thing to me....I want to be able to possibly switch plan until I'm back from traveling...
    I'm not actually living outside Ireland permanently...I'm still a resident of Ireland just staying in Holland, Germany ... for a couple of weeks at a time.

A fine mess I've got myself into!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

:(

Sales rep was right in a sense, it is the same as in Ireland but at "Out of Bundle" rates.

Not giving out but so many roaming posts come up and nobody understands that it costs your network money for you to use phone on another network, so there has to be a charge somewhere!

• Advertisement

Im sure the 65 would cover it...

This is my biggest problem...thats what I thought would happen...I wasn't looking for free calls and texts to everyone, I just thought " oh there's no roaming charges...so my minutes and texts must cost, in reality, the same no matter where I am in Europe, how nice of meteor to admit this and stop raping us and just take from my allowance" :o

In effect I am paying 65 a month for an iphone, which I can't use properly because the data roaming rates are appalling!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

It works fine for me, did you text Europe to 50104 to opt in?
    This has to be done apparently.

Truck wrote: »
    It works fine for me, did you text Europe to 50104 to opt in?
    This has to be done apparently.
    Do explain please?????
    Do your roaming mins come out of your bundle????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Do explain please?????
    Do your roaming mins come out of your bundle????:eek:

As far as my research has gone (changing networks soon), they come out of your bundle with Three but not with Meteor.

Therefore, if roaming is going to be a big portion of your usage, go for one of the higher priced bundles on Three to get your phone cheaper or one of the lower priced bundles with Meteor so that you actually might get to use your bundled minutes.

I could be wrong though!!!

marathonic wrote: »
    As far as my research has gone (changing networks soon), they come out of your bundle with Three but not with Meteor.

Therefore, if roaming is going to be a big portion of your usage, go for one of the higher priced bundles on Three to get your phone cheaper or one of the lower priced bundles with Meteor so that you actually might get to use your bundled minutes.

Im going to try and get a cheaper bundle because at I'm only a month into a 24month contract, can't really walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

marathonic wrote: »

I think thats only in countries that have Three in them. the 3LikeHome offer. Otherwise i think the rate is as if you were on prepay added on top of your line rental. Ill double check tomorrow

If your roaming on Meteor you need to text in to apply the as home rate

I think thats only in countries that have Three in them. the 3LikeHome offer. Otherwise i think the rate is as if you were on prepay added on top of your line rental. Ill double check tomorrow

If your roaming on Meteor you need to text in to apply the as home rate

I'm signed up for the offer alright.

Advertisement