Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newspaper / Mag image rate cards.

• 14-07-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question before I start to harvest photo editor / picture desk email addresses.

Does any one have any rate cards for any sort of publication that they can forward on to me please? Any that I get just knocks a few off my list, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

don't want to be rude but rate cards are for professional photographers.
    (are you a professional photographer?)

each paper/magazine should be contacted individually for their rate card and the editor asked if they are open to submissions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Cheers, ill ask directly so.

I would like to think I am a professional. Fully insured, Garda Vetted and paying the rent for two years. I am just looking to expand into other areas from sports and events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Cheers.

I would like to think I am a professional. Fully insured, Garda Vetted and paying the rent for two years. I am just looking to expand into other areas from sports and events.

I'll save you a lot of time and effort by saying you will most likely be wasting a lot of time and effort trying to make money in Ireland by sending sports pictures to the Irish national press. Unless you have something very very very very different and exclusive to what the two contracted agencies in Ireland send them then you have just a little above 0% chance of getting it published in the national press.

The UK however is a different matter and the UK press will publish non contracted stuff much more regularly but as you can imagine the amount of times there is a big sporting event in Ireland that the UK papers might be interested in is not too often and when there is an event of interest (6 nations, major internationals etc. ) then they normally send over their own photographers which further minimizes the earning potential!!

So for your own sake expand into some other area!! :)

Cheers Ballyman,

But I am not looking to send in sports photos or events photos. I have that side of things under control. I said in my previous post that I am looking to expand into other areas. I am interested in editorial and fashion.

Thanks for the heads up though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I see the "from" now!!!
    I should read things properly :)

• Advertisement

Cheers Ballyman,

But I am not looking to send in sports photos or events photos. I have that side of things under control. I said in my previous post that I am looking to expand into other areas. I am interested in editorial and fashion.

Thanks for the heads up though.

as regards the editorial/news/press side of things the market is saturated, best way to get images printed is lots of hard work and hope - easiest way to "break" into the mainstream editorial work is to work for an agency, this would allow you to build contacts within the industry... this takes time !!

As regards the fashion side of things - there are photographers lining up offering to do shoots for models in exchange for usage of images in their portfolio, there is not a whole lot of money available, models are not getting hired for PR jobs.

best advice I can say is similar to Ballyman ... find a niche, hold onto it and keep it.

on the other side of things, if you have been making ends meet from the images you produce for the last two years why change it ... why risk loosing some or all of that, or is it simply not enough.... be aware that in order to do editorial/press work for the newspapers you need to be available at any minute.

I am working with models from agencies, stylists and makes up artists etc. I have done a LOT of test shoots. I just feel that the quality of my work is rising to a level where it could get published and make some extra money. Judging some some of the stuff that does get published, I should not have that much more work to do :)

As regards the change. What I do at the minute is weekend work, maybe 4 days a week on average at most. I have all the gear, so I might has well have it in use on Mondays and Tuesday and paying for it's self than leave it sitting around in a case gathering dust.

Also, photography is my hobby as well as my living. So it interests me to try out other areas and to learn new things. No harm in having extra strings on the bow... so to speak.

Edit... It's not really news stories and press images that I am interested in. I more so mean the likes of the glossy mags that come with papers etc. Even shooting for the likes of hotpress would be interesting to me.

shooting for the likes of hotpress is closed (unless you want to work for free)

most magazines have photographers who the editor or someone higher than the editor know on a personal level - so you need to get to know these people (get into the social circuit)

if you are considering music magazines then you need to get contacts in the music industry, Sony, EMI, MCD/Aiken

like I mentioned earlier and as Ballyman said ...the market is fairly saturated, everyone with a DSLR considers themselves capable of doing everything aspect of photography (as the saying goes ...Jack of all trades - Master of none)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

PCPhoto wrote: »
    shooting for the likes of hotpress is closed (unless you want to work for free)

most magazines have photographers who the editor or someone higher than the editor know on a personal level - so you need to get to know these people (get into the social circuit)

if you are considering music magazines then you need to get contacts in the music industry, Sony, EMI, MCD/Aiken

like I mentioned earlier and as Ballyman said ...the market is fairly saturated, everyone with a DSLR considers themselves capable of doing everything aspect of photography (as the saying goes ...Jack of all trades - Master of none)

Just to let you know I shot a gig for hotpress last month and was paid. Not a lot but I was paid. I just happened to be asked to cover for a friend. You are right you need to know the editors and such but it is possible. OP I don't think it would do any harm to ring magazines like this and let them know you can work for them in Wexford and surrounding areas if they need someone.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

cheers all for the input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement