Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data from one website to mine.

Options
  • 14-07-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Here goes....to show my stupidity....

I am going to use estate agents as an example.

When they upload new houses to their website is it possible in any way for me to be able to put their new houses on my website using some software program without having to do it manually.
    Thanks cos I haven't got a clue and dont even know where to begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

This is far more complex than you think.

You want to read up in API's , it really depends on where you want to gather this information from and how 'open' its is, you might even get away with using RSS

You will have to give us more information.

Of course there is the legality of duplication someones elses content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Just what i was thinking Adrian toooo complimacated!

Its basically copying listings of houses from the original site to another,

As for the legal stuff, it doesnt matter as it all goes back to the original company anyway who placed the advert, they see it as free advertising on their behalf.
    Thanks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

All might not be lost.

As a work around you could run their site inside an iframe in your site, that would work for you .

Here is an example of how I got My Charity running inside a webpage for a friend of mine.

HERE

If you dont want to discuss it in public, drop me a PM and I might be able to offer better advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This is called website scraping and is usually unethical without prior arrangement. There are many potential legal issues such as passing off, copyright theft, trademark violation and probably a few more. You could be in legal hot water very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Thanks D, but the way we do it in our business means its fine to take others listings, because we ALWAYS have to go to original owner of listing, same if they take my listing, they have to come back to me.

Good idea adrian, I will be away all next week so Ill PM you the week after for some advice on that, if thats ok with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement