Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless low signal, needd help

Options
  • 14-07-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi

the house im living in is 2 joined semi detacthed houses renovated as one house. My apartment is on the 2nd floor over the front door of the 1st house. The router, eircom netopia, is on the 1st floor in line with the front door but say a good 30-40 ft away from it. ( Ill draw pictures to demonstrate).

crudeplan.png

My last (blekin) wireless adapter with the aid of a cantenna was able to reach the max of my broadband connection. When this adapter stopped working i purchased a asus usb-n13 adapter which can pick up a 1 bar signal nearly anywhere in the room but drops the connection every 2 minutes like clockwork.

Now I have been reading about N grade routers but as far as i can see most people are saying it might help a bit but not much. So I want some advice on the best way that I could get a stable connection. Running a wire is out of the question as my landlord already said no.

So any advice on the cheapest but most effective solution to this problem would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

Right no body got an suggestions thanks....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Here, people rely on the goodwill of others.

I suggest you should some patience and respect for those people who take the trouble to reply and attempt to help people.

Who took any trouble, except you to show your power. My 2nd post was just showing my frustration with said problem 10 hrs later. It was meant to encourage an answer as this problem that is really annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

the Answer is get wireless repeater, to extend and strength your wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

akamossie wrote: »
    the Answer is get wireless repeater, to extend and strength your wireless

No it's not, run a cable and add another wireless device on a different channel. Repeaters with crap signal will cause high latency for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

The OP said cannot run cables, so thats why I suggested the wireless extender :)

Thanks for the replies, what sort of latency would a wireless repeater add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

niemad wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, what sort of latency would a wireless repeater add?

Enough to annoy everyone and make it unusable for Skype or gaming. You could try homeplugs if You can't cable it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN-Highspeed-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B0028QKNI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310754617&sr=1-3-spell

I was looking at the powerline adapters, they would be useful if it was just me this side of the house but guest come and they would be in need of the wireless boast just as much as me, so this option would be fairly expensive compared to a wireless extender.

Has anyone got a suggestion on a reasonably priced extender.

Ive been looking at this

http://www.dabs.ie/products/edimax-wireless-n--802-11n--range-extender-5BR5.html?q=wireless%20repeater

It seams a tad expensive in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Move Rooms ? :D

• Advertisement

Berns wrote: »
    Move Rooms ? :D

Lol dont think the other ocpupents would like me moving all my stuff into there flat :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I was looking at the powerline adapters, they would be useful if it was just me this side of the house but guest come and they would be in need of the wireless boast just as much as me, so this option would be fairly expensive compared to a wireless extender.

Has anyone got a suggestion on a reasonably priced extender.

Ive been looking at this

http://www.dabs.ie/products/edimax-wireless-n--802-11n--range-extender-5BR5.html?q=wireless%20repeater

It seams a tad expensive in my opinion.
    PLT's may not work if the mains is on different circuits.
    An extender if positioned in the right spot may suffice. I'ved used a repeater over 1/2 mile with <4ms latency. Ok for Skype, dunno about gaming.
    50 E is not too expensive and lose the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    This is an issue I will be working on for a colleague next week.
    He recently got the Smart 10 meg package (changed from eircom).
    The (smart) wireless router is in his sitting room. His room is on the same floor as the sitting room, but there are two walls (thick enough) and about 20 feet of open space between the router and his room where he uses his laptop.
    Running cables(through walls) is not really an option, and to be honest the wiring in his house is pretty old so homeplugs really arent either.
    I had a set up in my own house a few years ago (three floors), linksys (original firmware) router on top floor, wireless bridge (linksys with DDRT)on 1st floor that covered ground and floor.
    I think I'll be trying to dig out the linksys box and configure if for his network and set it up in his Halway about half way between his room and the router.

I have to say, I find the range of the Smart router to be very poor, perhaps there is something I can change on it to increase it, however I havent had a proper look at it yet.
    Kippy

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    PLT's may not work if the mains is on different circuits.
    An extender if positioned in the right spot may suffice. I'ved used a repeater over 1/2 mile with <4ms latency. Ok for Skype, dunno about gaming.
    50 E is not too expensive and lose the attitude.

Thanks for the information on the latency. If you don't like my attitude don't respond to my posts simples, not once on this site have I said anything like that to anyone, if I don't like what someone is saying or being a dick I stop reading and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭kippy

, if I don't like what someone is saying or being a dick I stop reading and forget about it.
    Not what's happened in this case by the looks of it.

Did you get the issue sorted?

Advertisement