Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this build

Options
  • 14-07-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Okay, my goal was to build a very decent spec for under €850, including a monitor and windows 7 home.

I have put this together. It will be a home pc and also my home business pc.
    It will be running various packages simultaneously when I am working and I want it future proofed. I
    will do some light gaming. I intend to add a graphics card at a later date if/when my gaming improves and I move to more serious stuff.

I have a 1TB HDD already, hence the SSD.

Opinions on the Mainboard, SSD and RAM appreciated.

I went for the coolermaster HAF purely because I know it is a decent case and I reckon it looks cool.

Revised Build will be posted below

Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    70,37 €

Power Supply
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    41,31 €

Processor
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    175,28 €

Mainboard
    ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX
    100,97 €

Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, Intel Z68, ATX
    85,41 €

RAM
    8GB-Kit Corsair DDR3 PC1600 C9 Classic
    61,19 €

8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9
    60,10 €

Solid State Drive
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3
    99,63 €

Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3
    94,38 €

O.S.
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch
    ready for dispatch
    79,53 €

DVD RW Drive
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA
    17,35 €

22" Monitor
    Samsung SyncMaster BX2235 LED
    121,37 €

Total : €797 €780 incl shipping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Looks like a nice build with plenty of options for future upgrades. I'd get a beefer PSU though for when the upgrade bug kicks in.

Edit: Did you mean to spec a mATX motherboard? OCZ are having a lot a failures with them drives you might want to reconcider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Looks like a nice build with plenty of options for future upgrades. I'd get a beefer PSU though for when the upgrade bug kicks in.

Did you mean to spec a mATX motherboard?

Thanks. :D

PSU, noted. I presume they only use the required power at a given time, as opposed to constantly drawing 500 or 600 watts?

mATX, eh force of habit, I'll have to revisit that one.

prospect wrote: »
    Thanks. :D

PSU, noted. I presume they only use the required power at a given time, as opposed to constantly drawing 500 or 600 watts?

mATX, eh force of habit, I'll have to revisit that one.

Man, i've edited that post about five times now...:o

I have edited the main post,

ATX mainboard.

Also, I switched the RAM for 2 x 4GB to allow for cheaper upgrading if required (adding 2 instead of replacing 4).

Will look into the OCZ thing.

Can't find anything particular on OCZ SSD's, but I came here for your advice so I'll take it, and thankfully, each change I have made so far has been a few quid saved? - :)

• Advertisement

I'd wait for more input from the others on here, they might spot something I missed. (very likely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

OCZ SSDs have a faulty sanforce controler that results in over 50% of them bricking within hours or days. The Crucial M4 has had nothing but golden reviews.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/08/ocz_bsods_ongoing/
    To get my PC back in action and prove it wasn't my hardware at fault, I bought a Crucial C300 SSD (Same as the M4, just a different line) and stuck it in in place of the Vertex. Guess what, Windows 7 (first release) was installed in 15 minutes, fully patched within the following couple of hours, and the system was overclocked to the max and still rock solid.

I have since fully populated every SATA II and SATA III port on the board with drives and done pretty much everything I can to try and force a BSOD or system hang, all to no avail.

If you have a friend and/or kid in Uni atm you can get them to buy W7 from http://www.software4students.ie/ for you to save a bit of cash.

And please, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A BUDGET PSU. I know it seems temping... but:

Just don't. Buy a good Quality Power Supply. I personally use a Corsair HX650. 450 watts is too low anyway if you intend to add a GPU later, and unless you have a 1000w PSU running at only 200w draw, it won't make a in running costs. I would personally get a GPU anyway, even if it's a low powered one, since Onboard Graphics + 22" monitors make the Graphics Fairy cry. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

quick sugestion for the monitor,
    the BenQ G2222HDL is much better than that Syncmaster and is the basicly the same price:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39748&agid=1648

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I would get this RAM
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44321&agid=1193
    Since it is cheaper, but I guess for an extra €2 if you prefer the look of the others it won't break the bank.

And I agree with all the others, go for a higher PSU, why not the 550 or 650 watt Super Flower Amazon?

Thank you so much guys for taking the time to reply, genuinely appreciated.

@ Leman, do you consider the Amazon a 'cheap' PSU? I thought they were decent! I'll update to a 550w or thereabouts but would be interested to know if the SF Amazon is not considered up to scratch. Also, do the PSU's constantly draw their rated power, or just what they require at any given time?

@IrishMetalHead. Thanks for your advice, but do you mind me asking your reasoning for recommending the BenQ over the Samsung? Looking at the specs, they pretty much match up everywhere except the Samsung is lighter, uses less power and has a quicker response time.

@Fluffy. I couldn't really care how the RAM looks, but if it is equal or better in terms of performance and reliability and cheaper then I'm all for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

prospect wrote: »
    @ Leman, do you consider the Amazon a 'cheap' PSU? I thought they were decent! I'll update to a 550w or thereabouts but would be interested to know if the SF Amazon is not considered up to scratch. Also, do the PSU's constantly draw their rated power, or just what they require at any given time?

Oh, no, they are good. I just jumped the gun a bit here, since I love that video. Then I actually looked up JohnnyGuru and look at the actual Data. It's a fine PSU. :pac:

And no, they do not constantly draw their max power. They only draw what the components are asking from it. A PC idling will use less power than one at Full load of course! :P

Still, If you want to add a GPU later, get the slightly higher rated PSU. As for a actual GPU, I am a little out the loop, so I don't know if this Mobo/CPU combo even HAS onboard graphics or if you are recycling a GPU from an old PC. In either case, I would still recommend a cheap GPU or simply going all out and grabing a 560 Ti (best Bang for Buck atm).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The amazon is a good PSU. 450W is enough for what you have and a light midrange graphics card in the future. It depends on how serious you will take your gaming whether an upgrade will be necessary. You could get away with 450W with a 6850, which would run most things at HD resolution. If you want all the details turned up in everything/multiple monitors/higher resolution/3D, you'd need a more powerful card and more powerful PSU.

A PSU will only draw what it needs, but you should be picking one appropriate to your needs as efficiency drops at very load and high loads on a PSU. You won't be running at max all the time either, as each component is unlikely to be consuming full power at the same time and there will be periods of idleness.
    Leman wrote: »
    I don't know if this Mobo/CPU combo even HAS onboard graphics

The Z68 boards allow you to use the integrated graphics on CPU.

Okay, so I changed the PSU to the 550w Amazon.
    I put in a reasonably priced Graphics card, picked on price alone.

Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    70,37 €

Power Supply
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    52,04 €

Processor
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    175,28 €

Mainboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, Intel Z68, ATX
    85,41 €

Graphics
    Club 3D Radeon 6850 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6850, PCI-Express
    129,48 €

RAM
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9
    55,94 €

Solid State Drive
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") SATA3
    94,38 €

O.S.
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch
    ready for dispatch
    79,53 €

DVD RW Drive
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA
    17,35 €

22" Monitor
    Samsung SyncMaster BX2235 LED
    121,37 €

Total : €920 incl shipping (€773 ExVAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could save €6 if you buy the German Windows and download the English disc.

Advertisement