Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chores

Options
  • 14-07-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

What do your kids do?

Do they do any chores? If so do they moan about it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tidy their room. Clear the table. That kind of stuff. Of course they moan about it - they're kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes, tidy rooms, tidy the sitting room so I can clean.
    Bring down thier laundry baskets, put away their clean washing,
    empty the dishwasher, set the table.

Standard stuff, anything extra they give a hand with they get rewards for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Sharrow wrote: »

Standard stuff, anything extra they give a hand with they get rewards for doing so.

Will you come take my son and teach him :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: lol

I get to the stage of 'Oh it doesnt matter i'll do it myself' OH I KNOW HOW WRONG THIS IS :o

They didn't get landed with all of that over night, it's built up over the years.
    Start with one thing and get that habit established and go from there.

They didn't get landed with all of that over night, it's built up over the years.
    Start with one thing and get that habit established and go from there.

Ah my rugrat was great growing up...but now the teenage moments and chores dont mix :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We've a teen and a pre teen, the basic chores are linked to pocket money or money for moshi monster or xbox live monthly memberships cards. I will with the teenager ask that he get X done sometime in the next hour, instead of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Ha, your kids do more than I do! ;)

There's just the two of us at home at the moment so it works out a bit couple-y. We each take care of our own rooms, own laundry and ironing (best thing I ever taught her after "how to make your own breakfast and switch on the TV on a Saturday morning" :)) .... I cook, she cleans up afterwards ... if I do the bathroom, she hoovers.

Then twice a month or so my partner comes over and does all the stuff we don't bother to do. :pac:

Having said that, she works very hard (at school and part-time job) so I've no problem letting her off the hook from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Justask wrote: »
    I get to the stage of 'Oh it doesnt matter i'll do it myself' OH I KNOW HOW WRONG THIS IS :o

And totally understandable. If you look at the amount of effort that goes into getting him to do it and doing it yourself, sometimes it actually IS easier. :)

But yes, it's better for him in the long run if he has certain responsibilities around the house and he takes care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Our kids (4.5 yrs & 22 months) help out with all sorts...loading the washer, hanging up the wet clothes, setting the table, pouring the juice, clearing the table...the eldest is desperate to wash the dishes but she's too short even with a chair :D

I know they're still kids & so it still has some of the appeal of youth, but I think it's a mutual thing...we help them, they help us. We all live there together, we are a family, we help each other out.

As soon as it changes from what they'd like to do into what they have to do it becomes a chore. And no one - adult or child - likes doing chores.

LittleBook wrote: »
    And totally understandable. If you look at the amount of effort that goes into getting him to do it and doing it yourself, sometimes it actually IS easier. :)

But yes, it's better for him in the long run if he has certain responsibilities around the house and he takes care of them.

My parents used to be the same....'OH I'LL DO IT MYSELF'

I used to say 'Great' under my breath lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement