Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside Wiring/Connection

Options
  • 14-07-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Just wondering about an old connection which sticks up from the ground outside, it has a metal bar and wires are attached, before it enters the house, I think this was prior to the little green boxes which are at ground level for electricity say. The wires then go from this to a little box inside the house before the wires go to the actual sockeet. How can one get this outside connection put to ground level? Would this cost the eircom customer, if so how much?

I hope my description is clear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

Hulahoop09 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering about an old connection which sticks up from the ground outside, it has a metal bar and wires are attached, before it enters the house, I think this was prior to the little green boxes which are at ground level for electricity say. The wires then go from this to a little box inside the house before the wires go to the actual sockeet. How can one get this outside connection put to ground level? Would this cost the eircom customer, if so how much?

It sounds a bit like a earth and thats what the little green boxes are but because you say its connected to a socket - I'd guess it's a live power line extended to a shed or something if its a phone socket it might be your line in
    get a mate to have a look - cost not much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi

Hi Hulahoop09
    I am not really sure what this is, I imagine Irishredstar is correct, the description of metal bar does appear to make this an earth.
    Are you trying to get a phone line installed on this site?
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hulahoop09

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

It definetly is to do with the phone line it was telecom eireann that installed the line and set it up that it comes from the telephone pole to the ground (on this bar with putty or something stuck on top of it, which is begining to look worn) it then enters the house and goes into this black oblong shaped box which is beside the window and the wires go from there to the telephone socket. Is this description any clearer?

The line is active, not looking to get a new line as I assume this would cost more?? - its my parents house and this has been bothering them for a long time. We contacted telecom/eircom years ago but heard nothing so they just didnt follow up on it.

You think a friend/electrician would be able to do something with it? Im clueless when it comes to this - what do you think they could do? Can they remove the bar/replace it with something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's an earth wire put in to help protect against lightning strikes on the phone line. They seem to be a feature of older installations, e.g over 20 years old. I suspect there may be some sort of glass fuse in the black oblong box to also aid in lightning protection.

The part of the phone line from the first socket onwards to the exchange is eircom's responsibility and anyone else is not supposed to fiddle with it.

@Ant, Mark, Tony: Can the eircom reps advise the OP further on this? A linesman will need to be sent out for this, whether it will cost any money or not is for you guys to decide.

I suspect it can simply be removed (I know a neighbour who suffered damage anyway despite the presence of this earth wire and we suffered no more damage with the earth wire removed) but it really should be looked at by a linesman first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

It definetly is to do with the phone line it was telecom eireann that installed the line and set it up that it comes from the telephone pole to the ground (on this bar with putty or something stuck on top of it, which is begining to look worn) it then enters the house and goes into this black oblong shaped box which is beside the window and the wires go from there to the telephone socket. Is this description any clearer?

The line is active, not looking to get a new line as I assume this would cost more?? - its my parents house and this has been bothering them for a long time. We contacted telecom/eircom years ago but heard nothing so they just didnt follow up on it.

You think a friend/electrician would be able to do something with it? Im clueless when it comes to this - what do you think they could do? Can they remove the bar/replace it with something else?

Hi Hulahoop09
    My apologies this was not followed up for you when you first reported issue. if you PM me your parents exact address and their phone number I will see if I can arrange to have this removed for them.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement