Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone that does solar panels.

Options
  • 14-07-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I have asked in Davis in Skerries, and am waiting for them to ring me back.Can anyone recommend ssomeone to do them?Thanks,Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The Arrow have one in their carpark. Did you ask them where they got it from & if they have a recommended installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

Hi there, we got solar panels done last year by The Energy Centre in Duleek. I found them brilliant. I can recommend you to them and claim a reward for myself, so pm me if you want to contact them. The amount of hot water we have in this fine weather is brilliant, even in dulll weather it still builds up heat. They did very neat tidy work with very little disruption. They reckon it will pay for itself in 5-6 years, so well worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

cathy01 wrote: »
    I have asked in Davis in Skerries, and am waiting for them to ring me back.Can anyone recommend ssomeone to do them?Thanks,Cathy

We're getting these guys in to install solar just for the hot water we're not getting the central heating connected just yet. It gives you hot water @ 55 degrees 24/7 365 unlike a lot of other systems. Also there is no tubes or panels on the roof, it's a anodized aluminium panel so would take a lot to break it.

There's a 4 week lead time at the moment as it's the "solar season"

LVP Renewables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

crookesa, I had a look, and I like the whole package.The size of the water tank.I dont know if that will fit in my tiny hot press, but sure I have a couple of names to try.Thanks for the help.I did want to go local but I never heard anything back from the other crowed, even though I was told they would ring me with a time/day in 20 mins.
    Cathy

crookesa, I had a look, and I like the whole package.The size of the water tank.I dont know if that will fit in my tiny hot press, but sure I have a couple of names to try.Thanks for the help.I did want to go local but I never heard anything back from the other crowed, even though I was told they would ring me with a time/day in 20 mins.
    Cathy

They came out and had a look and have a few different sizes of tanks so should be able to accomodate. Your man's name is Brain Glesson nice guy, you can tell him I sent you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

John Butterly of Butterly fuels in Rush 01 8438243 do solar panels. Not sure of the details but nice lads.

crookesa wrote: »
    They came out and had a look and have a few different sizes of tanks so should be able to accomodate. Your man's name is Brain Glesson nice guy, you can tell him I sent you :)

Rang them, had a rep out and its 4.5K:eek:
    Will see what happens, I really want them.Hope the credit union like me.Cathy

Oh Leo B, I rang butterlys and one of the brothers is going to ring me back.Thanks a million,Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was talking to activ8energies and they're coming to give me a quote this week.

The LVP one gives 100% of your hot water needs, even in winter.I think thats why I liked them, but am waiting to see if Butterly Brothers have anything similer.Thanks for the advice,Cathy

The LVP one gives 100% of your hot water needs, even in winter.I think thats why I liked them, but am waiting to see if Butterly Brothers have anything similer.Thanks for the advice,Cathy

Ask them for a discount sure what you got to lose and you'll have your SEAI grant. Just think no need for heating the water ever. 24/7 365 hot water. We ordered and they're installing on 8th Aug which is a quick lead time :).

Keep us posted.

• Advertisement

We're getting these guys in to install solar just for the hot water we're not getting the central heating connected just yet. It gives you hot water @ 55 degrees 24/7 365 unlike a lot of other systems.

Going to check these guys out myself.

Just wondering if your electricity increased much after you got it installed?

Power usage, of the pumps and such, would be my main concern about these solar installations.

They said about €35 per person per year.Not bad.I havent heard anything back from the Butterly brothers or Davis in Skerries.Madness.I dont think they want my money...well the credit unions.:D

Well, just had the Activ8 guy out. Plenty of info, a good look at the place, but to me, it seemed a little expensive. The system, fully installed, worked out just over 12k. That's a bit above our budget.

So, time to research the other companies, and compare systems and prices.

Paulw wrote: »
    Going to check these guys out myself.

Just wondering if your electricity increased much after you got it installed?

Power usage, of the pumps and such, would be my main concern about these solar installations.

We were told about the same, a house of 4 and informed about €150 pear year. We don't have a south facing roof so are getting it mounted on a westerly aspect. We're told the performance may reduce by about 5% but this is negligible as we don't ever expect to use the system to it's full capacity.

The only cost are the running of the compressor to move the coolant around the system. Worked out in the end for us about €3,600 with SEAI grant.

Getting it installed start of August.

I had LVP out on Friday. The opposite from Activ8. LVP were delightful to talk to, easy to talk to, and a great price.

We did discover some issue which may cause a problem, but they're going to come back to me with options. If they can make it fit, then we're going to buy the solution from LVP.

Even if you're just pricing a system, talk to LVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have also thought about Solar myself for my hot water needs, but to be honest doing a lot of research and can't see it paying for itself in anything under 15-20yrs. Think 5-6yrs was just marketing speak.

Quotes on here of €4.5l - €12k, just to have hot water.

That sort of money would buy you some amount of home heating oil for many many years.

Can't see myself taking the plunge until the cost is half of what it is now. Not sure if it'll ever go that low though.

I do get your point.

For us, it is slightly different. Just ordered a new whirlpool bath. Our current bath is small-ish, standard new install bath, so holds roughly 140l of water. The new whirlpool bath holds 245l. A big difference.

Also, having hot water on tap means we don't need to use our gas heating in the summer and will use it less in the winter. It also means we won't need to use the electric immersion.

Having the solar panel will also help out BER rating, and somewhat increase any resale value on the property.

So, by cutting the gas and electricity use, combined with our likely increase in use, we do think we'll make savings in the long run (5-10 years). My mother got her solar panels about 5 years ago, and she swears by them.

The only cost are the running of the compressor to move the coolant around the system. Worked out in the end for us about €3,600 with SEAI grant.

Mine worked out at 5500, for the Eco 280I , with the back up coil.The grant is 800 euro.Im thinking Im going to go back and ask why he is giving a cheaper quote to others.Its 1000 in the differance.Thanks,Cathy

Mine worked out at 5500, for the Eco 280I , with the back up coil.The grant is 800 euro.Im thinking Im going to go back and ask why he is giving a cheaper quote to others.Its 1000 in the differance.Thanks,Cathy

We are going for the 250 Litre tank with no back up coil. There will be an electric immersion in it in case we need that as back up.
    There might be different costs regarding installation or different setup that you have that I may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sallynoggin

So who would you rate as the top 3 for getting quotes off? I have two young children so solar panels make good sense to me. Rising energ costs will also hasten the payback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Well, just had the Activ8 guy out. Plenty of info, a good look at the place, but to me, it seemed a little expensive. The system, fully installed, worked out just over 12k. That's a bit above our budget.

So, time to research the other companies, and compare systems and prices.
    we had activ8 out and they really didn't impress us with the price or that they just assumed we'd be able to pull the cash out of thin air in one go.

it's also big and ugly compared to the LVP one and doesn't give you 100% of your hot water either for almost 3 times the price.

honestly, i felt like they were doing the hard sell and looking at this thread with the LVP info and quotes, i get the feeling activ8 have invested in a technology that the LVP system has made obsolete, inadequite and vastly over expensive by comparison and they're just trying really hard to make money out of it whilst it's all relatively new to the market and people don't know much about them to know any better.

So who would you rate as the top 3 for getting quotes off? I have two young children so solar panels make good sense to me. Rising energ costs will also hasten the payback.

I think there's only one option on the current market and it's affordable.
    Give LVP a shout and see what you think

Check out page 11 of this Self Build magazine

It came down to this, If I want hot water 365 days a year I will have to pay about€35 per year per person and €3600.

Otherwise its the normal /old type panel which is €16 a year to run but you only get ot water every day thats sunny.So no good to me.I have an 9 year old, that would move into and llive in the bath if she could and a new baby on the way(PG) , So it makes sence to me as you cant really shower a baby.

LVP are coming to fit on Aug 15.I got the cheaper on system at €3600 with the grant as the water thank will fit into my hotpress, and we choose not to get the back up coil as the tank is big enough.

Ill keep you all posted every step of the way .
    Cathy:D

I think there's only one option on the current market and it's affordable.
    Give LVP a shout and see what you think

Check out page 11 of this Self Build magazine

CANT GET LINK TO WORK??:confused:

Have to agree.

We had Activ8 out and they are not the best. Way over-priced and pushing for a sale on the spot.

LVP - brilliant to deal with and great price. Cost for us is €4,700 (excluding grant). We have a few issues, with the tank and that, but they're going to solve all that for us (with a little extra cost). Absolutely great to deal with.

I'd highly recommend LVP and also mention that you saw that on here. They like referrals. :D

Have to agree.

We had Activ8 out and they are not the best. Way over-priced and pushing for a sale on the spot.

LVP - brilliant to deal with and great price. Cost for us is €4,700 (excluding grant). We have a few issues, with the tank and that, but they're going to solve all that for us (with a little extra cost). Absolutely great to deal with.

I'd highly recommend LVP and also mention that you saw that on here. They like referrals. :D

Great stuff Paul, must mention to them I'm pushing them here. Get a few referrals out of it ;).
    Get the grant sorted first as this could delay the install.

CANT GET LINK TO WORK??:confused:

Still working for me, I'm using Chrome...

Get the grant sorted first as this could delay the install.

I applied for the grant already, so just waiting. Hopefully it will be approved within the next 2 weeks.

How long does it usually take?

I applied for the grant already, so just waiting. Hopefully it will be approved within the next 2 weeks.

How long does it usually take?

It 3 working days from submission online to getting the forms in the post. LVP require you have the form in your possession as they have to fill stuff out on it.
    Did you find them because of the post here?

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Yeah, found them thanks to this thread. :D

Advertisement