Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live In Landlord

Options
  • 14-07-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I have been renting a room for what will be a total of 9 months as I am leaving at the end of this month.

I want to claim rent relief and I am going to discuss with my landlord, he lives there and owns the house.

Are the conditions any different as he lives there? Does he have to be registered because he owns the house and dosnt let it out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Your landlord doesn't need to be either PTRB or NPPR registered as he is covered by the 'rent a room' scheme.

You can still claim tax relief on rent paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Ok so he won't get slapped with a big bill if I go about claiming?

I've been told that claiming back has been done away with... Is that true?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Misticles wrote: »
    I've been told that claiming back has been done away with... Is that true?

Nope- you can claim for refunds within 4 years of the end of the year to which the claim relates. I.e. if you claim now- you can claim for 2011/2010/2009/2008 but no further back. Ring the PAYE helpline during office hours and they'll give you very good information.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Your landlord doesn't need to be either PTRB or NPPR registered as he is covered by the 'rent a room' scheme.

You can still claim tax relief on rent paid.

I rang PAYE and they said that even though he is a live in landlord - he needs to be registered.

should I be registered on anything?

• Advertisement

I rang PAYE and they said that even though he is a live in landlord - he needs to be registered.

should I be registered on anything?

He needs to make an annual tax return, declaring the income. There is no tax due on the income, providing it remains under the limits of the rent-a-room scheme, however it still needs to be declared. The landlord doesn't need to register anywhere however- all he needs to do is declare the income.
    Whoever you were talking to on the PAYE line unfortunately is misinformed.

There is no issue with you declaring a credit for the rent paid- even if he hasn't been making a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackboots

The tax office is wrong - which is not unusual. He does not need to be registered with PRTB because you are not a tenant with a lease, you are a lodger. He could not possibly be registered for NPPR tax on that property, NPPR = NON-PRIMARY Private Residence, as he lives there it is his primary residence. What they probably meant is he must be registered for tax i.e. you need his PPSN or the VAT No. if the property is in a company name.

There will be no tax implications for him unless the total income he receives from you (rent, bills etc.) exceeds €10,000 per annum. Be careful with this, if you declare that you've paid him more than €10,000 than he will be obliged to pay tax on the whole amount, not just that which exceeds €10,000, i.e. if you say you've paid him €10,001 then he will have to pay income tax on €10,001 not just €1.

Very unlikely that you pay more than €10,000 I would imagine, so go ahead and claim your rent relief for the last four years :)

I've only been living there since October.

On the Rent 1 form for the figure for rent... do i include bills in that?
    I generally pay the bills as they come, so (massive Deja Vu here...actually scaring me... I feel the exact same when I was writing a post last week) all hot, pain in my chest. CREEPYYYY!!

anyhooo... the UPC he pays, Gas+ Elec come bi monthly and is generally around 45 - 50 each. Do I include this on the Rent 1 form or just basic rent?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackboots

Sorry if I confused you, on the rent relief form you will only be including what you pay in rent, that is all you are entitled to relief on.
    When your landlord fills in his tax returns he must declare ALL income including money towards bills, household expenses etc.

PS most people who rent rooms in their houses and are not self-employed don't actually bother declaring their income from it and revenue is extremely lenient about it as long as the income is below the threshold.

I've only been living there since October.

On the Rent 1 form for the figure for rent... do i include bills in that?
    I generally pay the bills as they come, so (massive Deja Vu here...actually scaring me... I feel the exact same when I was writing a post last week) all hot, pain in my chest. CREEPYYYY!!

anyhooo... the UPC he pays, Gas+ Elec come bi monthly and is generally around 45 - 50 each. Do I include this on the Rent 1 form or just basic rent?

thanks

You include basic rent, nothing else.
    He has to include *all* income in his annual declaration.

• Advertisement

well he rents two rooms... so would the income for both have to be less than 10k per annum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Rent relief has changed in Budget 2011 and is being phased out over the next 7 years. You might have just scraped through though, you need to be able to prove you were renting prior to 8th Dec. to qualify for rent relief going forward. Here's a link to more detailed info. http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/budget/2011/budget-2011-summary.pdf
    :)

well he rents two rooms... so would the income for both have to be less than 10k per annum?

Yes- but thats his problem, not yours......
    You are entitled to claim your relief, and should do so.
    Make him aware of the fact that you're doing this- if he is not tax compliant, he is an idiot, but it'll give him fair warning to get his act together.

Advertisement