Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fork dust caps

• 14-07-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

The fork dust caps on my Busa look corroded and rubbish. When I bought it, the seller gave me new spare caps and told me they were easy to fit. Subsequently, my mechanic told me that it wasn’t worth doing and if you go in that far, you may as well do the full seal kit. I took that as given and decided not to bother with the caps until the seals leak.

I was having another conversation where a guy on a GSX1100 told me he was going to replace his ‘because they’re grubby looking and it’s only a case of dropping the shock down and sliding them off’. Now I'm starting to think that my mechanic was just being either lazy or pedantic.

Since I already have the bloody things, is it easy to change just dust caps on a Busa or not, oh wise ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

fairly simple job to do once ya figure out a stable way to support the front end of your bike off the ground,,and probley a bit of preventive matainence too saving the seals that are already fitted to the fork leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...and probley a bit of preventive matainence too saving the seals that are already fitted to the fork leg...

Many thanks, HB. What can you do to prevent damage to the seals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

ive no advice, just good luck with it :) hope you have people to help you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

it just the new dust seals will stop any crap getting in between the dust and oil seal that could shorten the lifespan of the oil seal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

fairly simple job to do once ya figure out a stable way to support the front end of your bike off the ground,,and probley a bit of preventive matainence too saving the seals that are already fitted to the fork leg

yes they are easy to change on old conventional forks, but if you have inverted forks then they will need to be separated and then its best to do the oil seals as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement