Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy MSc to help get into Physio MSc

Options
  • 14-07-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I have just finished an undenominated science degree and would like to go down the physio route via an accelerated MSc course in the UK. I have only a little experience in shadowing so was thinking of doing a one year Occupational Therapy MSc and shadowing as much as I can through the year. Is this a good idea or are there better ways of going about this, maybe other courses people could suggest at helping my chance of getting into a Physio MSc. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have you looked at accelerated entry into one of the degree programmes in Ireland? I know TCD take in a certain amount to 2nd year Physiotherapy. Have you enquired at the schools?

It just seems a bit of a waste to do OT to try get into Physiotherapy. Although they work together a lot, they are very different professions.

Also, doing a MSc in Physiotherapy will not have you up to the same standard as a Physio with the degree qualification. If you're willing to do the OT MSc to get into Physio as a profession, I'd suggest doing the 4 year degree here or the 3 year degree in NI or England/Wales.

As for shadowing - contact the Physio departments and ask to speak to the Physio manager to see about getting shadow experience. I know James's use to hold an open morning around October mid-term break for transition year students so you could enquire about that and also, Tallaght hospital had something similar in place. ***This may have changed though because of how stretched the departments are these days. ***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I do not think you can do an MSc OT (professional practice) in one year.. the two year option will be the quickest time you could do it. A two year MSc will be extremely demanding on your time, it is very intensive study and difficult from start to finish and if your not passionate about OT it will be another obstacle in itself. Obtaining a place on a MSc OT course is no mean feat either..they are rigorous application process and you'll not get a position if you reveal your plan..
    OT clinical placement will expose you to some physio at times but this will not be guaranteed..if you continually highlight an interest in physio during OT placement you will inadvertently expose your true interests and thus be a wasted place on the OT course.. this will not be viewed positively.
    OT's work in mental health settings also which you will be required to do placements in so there will be no physio there..
    If you present an application for MSc Physio having obtained an MSc in OT you could be perceived as lacking direction..
    overall I feel it is a very bad idea..but well done for asking..
    Either get onto a MSc conversion course in Physio or go back and do the honours degree...if possible to start in 2nd year..probably unlikely..
    MSc Physio 2 year conversion courses exist in the UK.. in Edinburgh and maybe more places..this is your best option...

good luck.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Would you consider doing the BSc in Physio in the Uk? It might be cheaper and more spread out.

Advertisement