Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Ireland Metre Reader tried to shock my dog!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

mattjack wrote: »
    hows is your post delivered...does your postman have to walk to your door..?

Yes he does, its a very short driveway, we just close the gates all the time to keep the dog in. The postman is fine with him, he gives him a rub and carries on with his business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

our meter was placed on the side of our house (we only have a back garden and the side alley) behind the gate, which was openable from outside aswell as inside. our two dogs go out into the garden during the day, as the house is quite small and the like to be out and run around.

now i do not know if it was the ESB meter reader or someone else (not being home at the time i cannot prove anything) but we now have a lock on the gate that needs a key to open. this is because we went to the shops on two seperate occasions and came home to see the gate swinging wildly open. whomever had been in our garden for whatever reason had just left the gate open, allowing the dogs to get out onto a very busy road where they could have been run down easily. thankfully they were still in the garden on both occasions (they may have gone walkies and come back i will never know).

i was so angry at whoever did that, so this is why the lock. i mean it would have been my fault if the dogs got ran over or bit someone wouldn't it?! even though some ejit let them out.

so if you need to enter the side of my property now you need to let me know. simple as. i won't stop them from reading the meter, i am just stopping anyone from leaving my gate open for my dogs to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Discodog wrote: »
    Unfortunately Irish law gives considerable powers to the ESB.

To be fair, the ESB gives us considerable power...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tarahill

guys seemingly during census 2006 the enumerators were given some kind of gadgets for stopping dogs attacking barking or whatever HOWEVER in 2011 these gadgets were not gave as the law and s p c a seemingly had stepped in. NO ONE has the right to come onto your property and use any gadget on your dog or dogs IF MR Electric came into my house and said he was just about to use it well i would ring the Gardai and his boss. He wasnt invited in and has no right what so ever to take over on your property and you should make this public so others like him wont be out doing the same to innocent dogs around the country. the cheek and the nerve of the man.im furious and it wasnt my house or dog. grrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Our house is very old, the meter is in the house, you have to come up the stairs onto the landing to read it. Also, our door is never locked during the day so when the meter man comes, he just opens the door and walks right in. We have 5 dogs who do NOT appreciate him coming in at all. In fact I fear they are going to go for him one day. He never knocks or waits to be invited in and there's been a few times where I've just woken up and I don't have a chance to get dressed before he barges in :mad:
    As for the dogs, well in fairness there is a strange man just walking right into their house. They get really cross about it. I've said it to him before to be careful, just beep his car horn or knock on the door but he never listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I dont know how the dog dazer works ,but I,ve seen the dog collar which works by giving a small vibration I think,uses an electric fence type arrangement.I,d be interested to know bout the ISPCAs opinion on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I dont know how the dog dazer works ,but I,ve seen the dog collar which works by giving a small vibration I think,uses an electric fence type arrangement.I,d be interested to know bout the ISPCAs opinion on them.

Its a high pitched noise the same device they use to stop teenager hanging around out side shops.

Justask wrote: »
    Its a high pitched noise the same device they use to stop teenager hanging around out side shops.

Does the dog dazer work the same way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cocolola wrote: »
    He never knocks or waits to be invited in and there's been a few times where I've just woken up and I don't have a chance to get dressed before he barges in :mad:

No wonder he never knocks :D

Might be an idea to lock the door.

• Advertisement

Does the dog dazer work the same way ?

As far as I know its just the noise that startles them.

I could be wrong though but this is what I was told :)

We (adults) cant hear it

tarahill wrote: »
    guys seemingly during census 2006 the enumerators were given some kind of gadgets for stopping dogs attacking barking or whatever HOWEVER in 2011 these gadgets were not gave as the law and s p c a seemingly had stepped in. NO ONE has the right to come onto your property and use any gadget on your dog or dogs IF MR Electric came into my house and said he was just about to use it well i would ring the Gardai and his boss. He wasnt invited in and has no right what so ever to take over on your property and you should make this public so others like him wont be out doing the same to innocent dogs around the country. the cheek and the nerve of the man.im furious and it wasnt my house or dog. grrrr

So..you would ring AGS and "mr Electrics" boss if he had a dog dazer which emits a high frequency sound.In emergencies the ESB have the right to enter your property without your consent.

I really think the issue here is the way the ESB guy said 'im going to shock your dog' Anyone who hears that would freak out.

But if he had of said 'listen I was just about to use a high pitched noise cos I got a fright with your dog' it would be totally different IMO

I think it was the man attitude that caused the hassle. There was no need to use the word 'shock'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Just want to throw in my two cents on this- while I dont agree with the dazers, I have seen why they might be necessary. My dad used to read ESB meters, and knew most of the postmen around. He had a dazer (I used to be able to hear the bloody thing and man it was high-pitched) but only ever had to use it once when he was attacked and bitten by a JRT. I used to go with him when i was on holidays from school and was always given the job of distracting the dogs (not in a bait way or anything, but because I was able to read them better than he could).
    One of the postmen he knew was absolutely mangled by a labrador one day even though he had asked the owners numerous times to lock the dog in in the mornings so he wouldn't be attacked. They promised they would, obviously they didn't and he ended up with quite a few stitches.
    So the dazers are issued to keep their employees safe. However, I think they should do some training with their employees so they can at least read dog behaviour; know whether they're going to be charged at or not.
    There's no way that meter reader should have been 'shocking' the dog if the dog did no more than run around him or bark. They are defending their property after all, but dogs can tell quite quickly whether you're a threat or not.

A little over reaction....maybe..to imply he was going to shock the dogs suggests he had a tazer/stungun...If the OP thought so...the AGS should,ve been called...doubtful that an ESB man would carry one..his job would be worth more than that.

Shanao wrote: »
    He had a dazer (I used to be able to hear the bloody thing and man it was high-pitched) .

That means your getting old :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

That means your getting old :D:D

Thanks for that. I've been able to hear that stupid one they use for teenagers though, even with earphones in!! Its the most infuriating sound I've ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've always been able to hear that sound that supposedly only teenagers can hear. Remember being at my Aunt's house and asking her what the highpitched noise was - she had no idea what I was talking about. Turned out one of her neighbours had one as his house was on a corner next to a recreational field that kids always hung out at.

I'm certainly no teenager, so I don't know why I can hear it, but it is horrible.

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm certainly no teenager, so I don't know why I can hear it, but it is horrible.

Well dogs hear it & you hear it ergo..............maybe you're a......

Nah I am not brave enough to risk it :p

Must be because you still have the beauty of a teenager :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well dogs hear it & you hear it ergo..............maybe you're a......

Nah I am not brave enough to risk it :p

Must be because you still have the beauty of a teenager :D

Thanks DD, I did wonder if anyone would come up with that theory:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He never knocks or waits to be invited in and there's been a few times where I've just woken up and I don't have a chance to get dressed before he barges in :mad:
    Holy f**k. Complain to the company, as personally I'd hit first and ask questions later if someone strange came into my house uninvited.
    We (adults) cant hear it
    Mainly teenagers, but it also can be heard by quite a few adults. Personally, I'd probably tear it off the wall if it cause me discomfort.

Anyone who depends on a dazer is f**ked if the dog's deaf, though.

• Advertisement

From their website:

The Dazer is not designed to be effective against all dogs which include docile, deaf, infirm and highly trained dogs.

The ESB would be better spending their money on a basic dog behaviour course.

This fella must be working for the ESB

3117552440894952561jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dunno about Esb guys but posties don't have to deliver to a house if they feel they may be bitten or there's a barking or aggressive dog in the garden.
    Some people can't tell when a dog is just barking for the sake of barking or barking aggressivley (sp) in fairness it's not their job to but with experience I guess they soon learn.

Some houses still have their meters indoors but it might be an idea OP to get the meter put on the outside of the house not only to keep the esb crowd out of the garden but also takes away the hassle of them leaving you a card because if you're not in and then having to go read the meter etc. or it being left until the next time and you end up with a bill from the last months.

I know I'd be just as livid if someone tried to do that to one of mine and I couldn't gurantee that one of my dogs wouldn't attack someone who did, some of the dogs would probably freak and run away but hard to know unless it happened. Saying that I wouldn't mind one of those devices when attempting to walk my dogs.. it's near impossible here without some dog running out on to the road and taking the leg of you or going for the dog.

One option op would be to phone them, and complain but also ask them to give you a definite date and time as to when the esb guy will call to your house and you can keep the pooch in at those times until, maybe, you can get the box fitted on the outside of the house. It's a nuisance but they have to do their job too.

Dh is a postie and has been bitten a few times he's been too patient sometimes one dog was particularly aggressive but the dog just dissapeared one day someone must of called the warden or something.
    He doesn't go around with a dazer, he doesn't need to, he used to (and still occasionally) go around with a load of dog biscuits in his pocket he's been on the route so long he knows the dogs better than the owners.
    The other posties don't make the effort and end up with hassle from the dogs on their route, they should do the same would make their job a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Shockin stuff! I love the bit if the babe being used as bait!!
    On high pitched frequencies Am I the only one that can hear the eflow toll reader beep when you go through in your car !?

Also; not confirmed yet that the gadget the guy had was a frequency thing and not a shock or spray thing...
    I've seen aerosol type things in the Market that arecvery high pressured and make a big noise & lots of smoke; freaks dogs out. I Wouldn't like to see what happens if they re aimed at a dogs eyes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

My dad is a postman and has been bitten twice by a dog, one bite was quite bad. They have to enter the property to deliver the mail, if someone doesn't get their mail you can be sure they will kick up a stink. He got one of those whistles but he didn't really use it.

Dogs should be secured in a back garden or else a mailbox/doorbell placed at the gate. OP what if some kids called to your house selling raffle tickets ? It's not considered trespassing to enter someones front garden to ring a bell.

Maybe it was you who is irresponsible ?

I agree re your comment on secure postboxes outside/at the gate; it's unclear if this OP had a gate and whether it was shut/ signed.
    But. I have an open plan house with a glass front door from my living room; if I had a tenner for every time I watched from my couch a delivery/junkmail/ charity bag bloke stand and stare into my house and try to look around the hallway into the other room I would now be driving a BMW.
    and that's with a BIG NO Junk Mail sign on the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Every month or so at Airtricity, we have to endure another reminder on how to deal with dogs out in the field. Every couple of weeks there is usually a reported incident whereby someone has been bitten by a dog whilst on someones property. We dont have these Dazzle ultrasonic devices, we are told "Dont ever smile at a dog, baring your teeth as you smile could be seen as an act of aggression. If trapped by a dog and its going for you, throw your jacket over its face and make your escape". The entire office bursts into laughter everytime we hear this.

I have a pain in my face with airtricity banking on my door persistently . They have become such a regular nuisance to our estate and to families trying to have peace and quiet in their homes that we post on our estate facebook site that they are back again so everyone knows not to answer their doors. Sickening.

djrichard wrote: »
    Every month or so at Airtricity, we have to endure another reminder on how to deal with dogs out in the field. Every couple of weeks there is usually a reported incident whereby someone has been bitten by a dog whilst on someones property. We dont have these Dazzle ultrasonic devices, we are told "Dont ever smile at a dog, baring your teeth as you smile could be seen as an act of aggression. If trapped by a dog and its going for you, throw your jacket over its face and make your escape". The entire office bursts into laughter everytime we hear this.

The next employee that gets bitten should sue his employer. I am surprised that your union have not taken this up. I would also speak to you local council heath & safety department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The next employee that gets bitten should sue his employer. I am surprised that your union have not taken this up. I would also speak to you local council heath & safety department.

It looks like even the bosses at Airtricity know their door to door callers deserve to get bitten....!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Irish law - number 3

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0021.html#sec21

If you're dog attacks someone even on privite property then the owner is liable -

Are people so thick that they dont realize that have having a dog that bites is very dangerous -

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Irish law - number 3

If you're dog attacks someone even on privite property then the owner is liable -

Are people so thick that they dont realize that have having a dog that bites is very dangerous -

Yes they are. People will post here looking for a dog to "guard" their property. There is an easy safeguard. Lock your gate & put a postbox on the gatepost with a wireless bell push next to it. Even a well meaning dog might knock someone over & in today's litigious culture, it is not worth the risk especially as the dog could end up being put down.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Irish law - number 3

There seems to be a disclaimer to that in section 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Fair enough if my dog attacks someone im liable...

But if someone attacks my dog...well the dogs going to be the least of their problems then..

Advertisement