Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turn my radio off with ignition

Options
  • 14-07-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I don't know it there can be anything done but any help with be great.
    I have a 05 VW Caddy and i have a Blaupunt Casablanca radio. It won't turn on with the ignition or turn off, can this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds like a problem rather than an enhancement to me?

Both Passat's I've owned turn the radio on when the ignition is turned and turn it off again when I take out the key (this assumes the radio was left on the last time the car was shut down of course!).. I would have thought this was the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP when you say 'ignition' do you mean putting the key in the ignition, starting the engine or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

biffontour wrote: »
    I don't know it there can be anything done but any help with be great.
    I have a 05 VW Caddy and i have a Blaupunt Casablanca radio. It won't turn on with the ignition or turn off, can this be done?

Sounds like it is not the original stereo and it was a diy installation by the last owner.

Sometimes even with the correct adaptor plugs being used between the vehicle wiring and the stereo wiring, the connections don't match up exactly. One of the car's positive leads going to the radio will be permanently live (for radio clock, station memory etc.), and one will be for accessories (i.e. radio on/off) and is only live when the ignition is switched on.

Failing that, if you can't figure out the wiring yourself, ring one of those car stereo dealers/installers and ask them would they take a look at it for you. They shouldn’t charge too much to wire it up right. Also any auto electrician will sort it pretty quick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like it is not the original stereo and it was a diy installation by the last owner.

Agreed. It also sounds like it's wired incorrectly. If you're handy with electrics and have a multimeter then probe the wires to see which ones are constant +12VDC and which ones are ignition switched +12VDC. There should be a sticker on the chassis of the stereo indicating the relevant connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

Cheers for advice lads, It's not the original radio for the caddy at all so i presume that could be part of the problem too. i'll have a look today and get back if i'm still stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

Got sorted!! just brought an ignition wire from the fuse panel under the steering wheel, Cheers for the help everyone much appreciated:)

Advertisement