Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spartacus: Vengeance [Starz - US] *Spoilers!*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

[Rasta] wrote: »
    the 50 or however many catapults hitting the roman camp was bloody ridiculous imo,
    I dunno how 4 guys could reload them and shoot that fast?
    The size of the roman camp(when they show an aerial view) is huge, they could have hardly taken out more than a quarter, but it looked as if 3/4 died

All the fight scenes seem to make the roman legionaries look like unorganised bandits..
    Or are they really just so inferior in comparison to the gladiators?

Other than those technicalities I very much enjoyed it and am definitely looking forward to the next season
    the catapults were a bit much alright, but i think they were positioned a bit away from the temple and the roman camp, spartacus and the lads took out 2 positions, 1 at the end of the cliff, and the catapults, they had the time to launch the 8 or so rounds that they shot alright id say (think there would be more balls for the catapults ready right beside them), you gotta remember everyone in the camps were getting a good nights sleep before they were gonna take the mountain the next day so were caught totally unaware,

so them 2 postions were taken out, plus the fireballs in the camps caused disarray, then in the woods all the rebels came down from the mountain catching the romans again, then the rebels pushed their advanatage when the romans retreated, divide and conquer, the romans never had a large enough amount of men in one place to gain the upper hand, and the rebels took full advanatage of their night time attack

question does anyone else have the problem of seeing no images, they are all saying you need a gold account to view them :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

don ramo wrote: »
    question does anyone else have the problem of seeing no images, they are all saying you need a gold account to view them :confused::confused::confused:

April fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Aquila wrote: »
    I enjoyed the battle scenes.just one thing annoys me,why the fcuk are the barbarians speaking modern German?

Pretty sure Spartacus wouldnt have spoken English with an Aussie accent either. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rome was always menacing in the background, now it will be unleashed

Someone posted a few pages back that Julius Caesar will be in the next series

Be some going to outwit and defeat Caesar :eek:

They also mentioned Crassus, another historical figure

Batiatus said he was so rich he shat money

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rome was always menacing in the background, now it will be unleashed

Someone posted a few pages back that Julius Caesar will be in the next series

Be some going to outwit and defeat Caesar :eek:

I know its Julius Caesar but really its only Aden Jeffers from summer bay. He was never the brightest was old Aden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

don ramo wrote: »
    it would be better if they keep her alive that way she can guide us around rome, and itll be a best way to introduce all the new caracters that are to be expected next season,

Would that not just be rehashing lucretia's storyline tho
    MungBean wrote: »
    Another episode made up of 75% shíte. Although I'm delighted to see Mira dead it was so pathetically done for a character who was so involved upto that point.

I think your being a tad harsh here both in your ****e ratio and your somewhat irrational hatred of Mira , like you I found the Mira warrior princess routine a tad ott I could have accepted her archery skills but for a house body slave her hand to hand skills put some of the other gladiators to shame. That said I gotta give alot of credit to the writers for not going the obvious route with her and spartacus and having her become this shows Varinia(kirk douglas's spartacus love interest) by having him fall for her , something I feel would have undermined his whole mission statement at this point in the story . I loved that she wanted more then he had to give.

Yeah we get it Liam can do a mean motivational speech theres no need to have one every ten seconds. " I am going to collect wood, smoke will rise !! fires will burn !! let the cold come for it will not harm us !!!!" "HUZZA!! HUZZAH!!" Maybe if he spent more time training than talking he wouldnt look so out of his depth when the shít kicks off. Although I will give him some credit for the end fight when he went after Glaber, it was ok.

In fairness being that this was the finale and they were in quite the pickle the motivational speech was highly appropriate, we just don't need one in every ep like we seem to have had this season.

The death of the almighty Ashur was unforgivable. He carried many a dud episode, added an unbelievable amount to the show, screwed over Crixus, Oenamaeus, Spartacus and everyone else and in the end he's cut down by a pissed off woman. Ridiculously poor ending considering the possibilities for showdowns. I was expecting Crixus to step forward with a "not so fast you little cnut!!" and hack him to bits. Boy was I surprised when little miss misery hole stepped up. :rolleyes:

Naevia carrying on where Mira left off, cant act worth a damn certainly not in the role she's trying to play, strong woman doesnt want any man fighting her battles for her etc etc etc. Well done but your not moving a washing machine its a war in ancient Rome and no slave girl is gonna stand 2 seconds against a Gladiator or Roman soldier in open combat. One parry and her arm is fcuked. One punch connects she's knocked the fcuk out. Shameful end to Ashur, shameful :mad:

In fairness as much as I/we love Ashur he had to go, there are only so many Romans he can ingratiate himself into service to , with Glaber gone and the Rebellion possibly moving beyond Capua's environs next season we were never realistically gonna see the rise of the house of Ashur as interesting an idea as that sounded, he simply had to go and in fairness it made narrative sense to have the person most wronged by him have the final word ie. Naevia.
    Still puzzled as to why you think she is such a bad actress yes her character cry's a fair bit but that's just because of how she was written and whats she's gone through if you don't like her characterization (didn't have a problem with tbh) hate on the writers not the actress because for my money she has done fine with the material she has gotten.

You also seem to be under the misconception that she unrealistically held her own against the far superior and more experianced Ashur which is simply not what happened , Ashur Toyed with her from the outset parrying and deflecting her blows with ease , it was his hubris that was his downfall gloating in true Ashur fashion with her at his mercy instead of properly disarming her and slitting her throat , thus allowed her to get the drop on him.
    While I was kinda sad to see him go I loved that he even as he bled out from balls and neck he was still delightfully vindictive telling her and crixus his death will not erase the memories of his little soldier in her nore the ones that followed, an a**hole to the bitter end was our Ashur ;)
    Oenamaeus in battle was unreal, himself and Gannicus made that battle scene, really would have loved to see him stay in the show to become a general later on considering he was the only one who has an air of authority about him but not surprised he was killed off. Writers needed someone to go on the rebel side and it was just too easy to kill him for impact.

It emerged a while back that Peter Mensah(oenomaous) had been cast in season 5 of true blood so whether killing him off was always the plan or whether the actor asked to be killed off is the question.

Didnt see the Ilythia/Lucritia thing coming, thought sure they would both move to Rome where the action would be next season and act in an introductory manner to bring in new characters.

While like you I can't say i saw it coming it made sense to clear the decks , bringing one or both of them back would have just been abit of fan service, not really served the story and would have shown a lack of belief that the new characters/villians were up to the task and so they needed two plotting women. Also you gotta remember these were ancient times a women place in Roman society were likely defined by who they were married to or who their father and what with Lucretia being a widow and of questionable stock according to Batiatus's dad and Illythia losing her father in the arena ep and glaber in this one how exactly were they to be realistically shoehorned into the narrative next season.
    All in all they wrapped it up well and set it up for the next series.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I think your being a tad harsh here both in your ****e ratio and your somewhat irrational hatred of Mira , like you I found the Mira warrior princess routine a tad ott I could have accepted her archery skills but for a house body slave her hand to hand skills put some of the other gladiators to shame. That said I gotta give alot of credit to the writers for not going the obvious route with her and spartacus and having her become this shows Varinia(kirk douglas's spartacus love interest) by having him fall for her , something I feel would have undermined his whole mission statement at this point in the story . I loved that she wanted more then he had to give.

May be a bit off on the percentage but I stand by the sentiment that a lot of the episode was poor as were a lot of other episodes in relation to the rebel storyline. With the exception of the attack on the Arena I cant remember any episode good from start to finish. In the finale I thought the only good part of it was the last 15/20 minutes and the rest of the rebel side was just filler not adding anything to the main story, certainly nothing necessary or worth watching.

Not going the obvious route doesnt excuse the the fact that the route they did go was poorly executed. I dislike her because she was a poorly written character imo, its not irrational I dont think. I just hated the character. She was written into everything going, she was jammed down my throat at every turn and there was so little behind it all. If your gonna give a character so much screen time then you need to build the character. I cant even remember what her story was, she had a fling with Spartacus in the Ludas and then she was first officer to the entire rebel cause/master bowman/fighter. There was nothing she did that painted her in a good light in my opinion. Everything seemed forced to me.
    In fairness being that this was the finale and they were in quite the pickle the motivational speech was highly appropriate, we just don't need one in every ep like we seem to have had this season.

Yeah but he had about four or five in that one episode, I'm starting to think its all Liam is particularly good at so they milk it for everything they can to avoid exposing his weaknesses in the other parts of his role.
    In fairness as much as I/we love Ashur he had to go, there are only so many Romans he can ingratiate himself into service to , with Glaber gone and the Rebellion possibly moving beyond Capua's environs next season we were never realistically gonna see the rise of the house of Ashur as interesting an idea as that sounded, he simply had to go and in fairness it made narrative sense to have the person most wronged by him have the final word ie. Naevia.
    Still puzzled as to why you think she is such a bad actress yes her character cry's a fair bit but that's just because of how she was written and whats she's gone through if you don't like her characterization (didn't have a problem with tbh) hate on the writers not the actress because for my money she has done fine with the material she has gotten.

I know he had to die eventually and cutting all ties to Capua to focus on Rome next season is the way to go about things but four of the lead characters in the show had a score to settle with him, he was a massive character himself and a showdown with someone has been building. A fight with Naevia was such a hug waste considering his back story. I'm not sure if she's a bad actress but she's crap at playing Naevia, her facial expressions are always way over the top. Theres no subtlety about her.
    You also seem to be under the misconception that she unrealistically held her own against the far superior and more experianced Ashur which is simply not what happened , Ashur Toyed with her from the outset parrying and deflecting her blows with ease , it was his hubris that was his downfall gloating in true Ashur fashion with her at his mercy instead of properly disarming her and slitting her throat , thus allowed her to get the drop on him.
    While I was kinda sad to see him go I loved that he even as he bled out from balls and neck he was still delightfully vindictive telling her and crixus his death will not erase the memories of his little soldier in her nore the ones that followed, an a**hole to the bitter end was our Ashur ;)

I was more so talking about her in the other battle scenes where she was running around, parrying blows and killing Roman soldiers. I dont think the Ashur fight was realistic either but I'm talking generally rather than about that specifically.

While like you I can't say i saw it coming it made sense to clear the decks , bringing one or both of them back would have just been abit of fan service, not really served the story and would have shown a lack of belief that the new characters/villians were up to the task and so they needed two plotting women. Also you gotta remember these were ancient times a women place in Roman society were likely defined by who they were married to or who their father and what with Lucretia being a widow and of questionable stock according to Batiatus's dad and Illythia losing her father in the arena ep and glaber in this one how exactly were they to be realistically shoehorned into the narrative next season.

I disagree it wouldnt have been fan service at all or wouldnt have showed lack of belief in new characters. Its just a way of carrying on the story, Lucritia has been talking about Rome for a while, Ilythia wanted to go there with the baby. Lucritia needed Ilythia and Ilythia bore a notable Roman name and probably a sizable fortune, she wouldnt have been left with nothing when she lost her husband and father. If it was done it would probably have been seamless. But cutting all ties and making it about Sartacus v Rome directly from now on was probably the better move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't use this normally but O M G!
    what a fúcking episode!

Not going the obvious route doesnt excuse the the fact that the route they did go was poorly executed. I dislike her because she was a poorly written character imo, its not irrational I dont think. I just hated the character. She was written into everything going, she was jammed down my throat at every turn and there was so little behind it all. If your gonna give a character so much screen time then you need to build the character. I cant even remember what her story was, she had a fling with Spartacus in the Ludas and then she was first officer to the entire rebel cause/master bowman/fighter. There was nothing she did that painted her in a good light in my opinion. Everything seemed forced to me.

They did build the character tho just not in the way you wanted evidently , She falls for Spartacus in the ludas inspired by the love he bore his wife even asking him to sleep with her so she may feel some portion of the love he bore her(sura) , when they escape, her love and admiration of the man only grows but she never knows where she stands in his heart as we see time and again and so tries everything she can to prove herself worthy of his love , that it wasn't enough is proof just how broken Spartacus is, which is, I imagine what the writers intended.

Yeah but he had about four or five in that one episode, I'm starting to think its all Liam is particularly good at so they milk it for everything they can to avoid exposing his weaknesses in the other parts of his role.
    Yeh but it's the finale !!!!! its all about context mate, speechifying over wine in the rebel camp in midseason = bad , rousing motivational speeches when up **** creek in the finale = good .

I know he had to die eventually and cutting all ties to Capua to focus on Rome next season is the way to go about things but four of the lead characters in the show had a score to settle with him, he was a massive character himself and a showdown with someone has been building. A fight with Naevia was such a hug waste considering his back story. I'm not sure if she's a bad actress but she's crap at playing Naevia, her facial expressions are always way over the top. Theres no subtlety about her.

In a less bombastic show then this perhaps they might have had her underplay the trauma of being gang raped by a minefull of men for months on end but this isn't a very subtle show now is it, if you want subtlety Mad Men or breaking bad should be your touchstones.
    I disagree it wouldnt have been fan service at all or wouldnt have showed lack of belief in new characters. Its just a way of carrying on the story, Lucritia has been talking about Rome for a while, Ilythia wanted to go there with the baby. Lucritia needed Ilythia and Ilythia bore a notable Roman name and probably a sizable fortune, she wouldnt have been left with nothing when she lost her husband and father. If it was done it would probably have been seamless. But cutting all ties and making it about Sartacus v Rome directly from now on was probably the better move.

Wasn't implying Ilythia would be a pauper just that with her dad, glaber and Varinius dead her ability to influence the power players was likely gone.

They did build the character tho just not in the way you wanted evidently.

Probably, I also didnt like her face. Perhaps it was irrational but whatever it was I just hated her seeing her. Glad she's gone but they could have done a bit more with her death.

Yeh but it's the finale !!!!! its all about context mate, speechifying over wine in the rebel camp in midseason = bad , rousing motivational speeches when up **** creek in the finale = good .

Yeah but it seemed that his little speeches were the focal points of the finale. Like I said they could have played up Mira's death or Oenamaeus's death or Ashurs. Seemed to me all the building was done by speeches which just reiterated the same stuff every time rather than high impact scenes.
    In a less bombastic show then this perhaps they might have had her underplay the trauma of being gang raped by a minefull of men for months on end but this isn't a very subtle show now is it, if you want subtlety Mad Men or breaking bad should be your touchstones.

Problem is she wasnt a big character, she came back a few episodes in, recast, had no lines for pretty much a further 3 episodes. Was a background character until the latter part of the season when she was shown to train with Crixus a few times. And then she's at the forefront dispatching such a huge character like Ashur's death could and should have been a lot bigger. Other shows have nothing to do with it (I lost interest in Breaking bad by the way, very overrated :D) I just think she's not that good. The subtlety doenst have to be that subtle, others manage it easily in the show. Look at the wild woman, she's mad a march hare but still subtle enough to show her range without pulling the acting for dummies facial expressions.
    Wasn't implying Ilythia would be a pauper just that with her dad, glaber and Varinius dead her ability to influence the power players was likely gone.

I know you wernt I just meant she had means to establish herself in Rome, probably had family, old friends. A name went a long way in those days in regards introductions. Her trying to manoeuvre her way up in Rome wouldnt have detracted anything from the story and would have been a means to introduce new characters.

Probably, I also didnt like her face. Perhaps it was irrational but whatever it was I just hated her seeing her. Glad she's gone but they could have done a bit more with her death.
    She had somewhat of a severe face alright but it kinda suited how they portrayed her with all the excessive asskicking they had her doing , if she were softer featured they may have decided to go another way with the character who knows. I do agree they could have done more with with her death he only mourned her for about 2 mins onscreen before getting back on mission, for me they should have had her death leave him shaken for at least a portion of the episode with Crixus/Gannicus/Oenomaus/Agron picking up the slack on the motivational side while taking turns to shake him out of his funk , then just when they are at their lowest ebb it is revealed he was working on a plan all along ie. the vines .

Problem is she wasnt a big character, she came back a few episodes in, recast, had no lines for pretty much a further 3 episodes. Was a background character until the latter part of the season when she was shown to train with Crixus a few times. And then she's at the forefront dispatching such a huge character like Ashur's death could and should have been a lot bigger. Other shows have nothing to do with it (I lost interest in Breaking bad by the way, very overrated :D) I just think she's not that good. The subtlety doenst have to be that subtle, others manage it easily in the show. Look at the wild woman, she's mad a march hare but still subtle enough to show her range without pulling the acting for dummies facial expressions.
    Naevia IS a big character, she has been with us since episode 1 of Spartacus , her love affair with Crixus was one of the most popular plot threads in blood and Sand . They may have recast the role but it's the same character , you seem to be retroactively diminishing the characters role in the series as a whole because you don't like the girl they recast in the role.

Look at it this way would there really have been any doubt who would come out the victor in a Ashur/Crixus or a Ashur/Oenomaus fight assuming their beefs were more deserving ? no of course not he would have been soundly beaten, there would have been no tension to the fight whatsoever. The ashur/Naevia fight on the other hand was full of suspense not least because they had already killed of Mira earlier in the episode so literally anything could happen.

The problem seems to be that the recasting of this role and Spartacus has produced an emotional discontinuity with these characters , Naevia being the one to kill Ashur would have gone down a lot more smoothly with you and worked better for me if the role hadn't been recast, as we would have been looking at this decision (Naevia vs Ashur) through the prism of the characters history as a whole and not just on whats happened to her since the new actress came on board. Similarly I'm sure we would have forgiven Andy Whitfield a multitude of the sins we heap on Liam because we were so attached to his portrayal.

I know you wernt I just meant she had means to establish herself in Rome, probably had family, old friends. A name went a long way in those days in regards introductions. Her trying to manoeuvre her way up in Rome wouldnt have detracted anything from the story and would have been a means to introduce new characters.
    Yeh spose keeping Ilythia alive might have been worth it , if only to fire the loaded gun that was her murder of Crassus's niece Liccinia.

Naevia IS a big character, she has been with us since episode 1 of Spartacus , her love affair with Crixus was one of the most popular plot threads in blood and Sand . They may have recast the role but it's the same character , you seem to be retroactively diminishing the characters role in the series because you don't like the girl they recast in the role.

But she hasnt played anything other than a background role in this series. She's been recast, the character has gone through a drastic change also and she's been kept to the background until one of the biggest events of the show so far, Ashur's comeuppance. If I'm being overly harsh on the actress its because the writers havent given her an opportunity to claim the role. Like you said her story with Crixus was a major plot of season 1. Then she's recast and kept to the background, she didnt carry the weight to make Ashur's death as relevant I dont think. There may be an element of me not seeing her as the same character but do many ? And I wont take all the blame for that either :D
    Look at it this way would there really have been any doubt who would come out the victor in a Ashur/Crixus or a Ashur/Oenomaus fight assuming their beefs were more deserving ? no of course not he would have been soundly beaten, there would have been no tension to the fight whatsoever. The ashur/Naevia fight on the other hand was full of suspense not least because they had already killed of Mira earlier in the episode so literally anything could happen.

But Ashur being in that position was a bit stupid to begin with. Why would Glaber gift his hated enemy a prize like Ashur's head before a final attack which he was planning ? Ashur and his gang should have met a couple of Crixus/Gannicus/Spartacus/Oenamaeus in battle and had an old fashioned showdown like the Egyptian was.
    The problem seems to be that the recasting of this role and Spartacus has produced an emotional discontinuity with these characters , Naevia being the one to kill Ashur would have gone down a lot more smoothly with you and worked better for me if the role hadn't been recast, as we would have been looking at this decision (Naevia vs Ashur) through the prism of the characters history as a whole and not just on whats happened to her since the new actress came on board. Similarly I'm sure we would have forgiven Andy Whitfield a multitude of the sins we heap on Liam because we were so attached to his portrayal.

Possibly but then possibly not, considering he was the Gladiator who never made the brotherhood and screwed over all the rest I always assumed it would be one of the guys who finally caught him. Although it might not grate as much if Naevia wasnt recast it would still grate I think.

I wasnt that attached to Andy's Spartacus either, I wasnt a fan until the latter part of the season and by then for better or worse it was his Spartacus. My main issue with Liam is his lack of fighting skill, physical presence and emotional acting. He's great for the old speeches but not that great at everything else. Andy would have carried on as he was.

• Advertisement

Gaa_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many seasons will there be, sparticus isnt appropriate viewing material for family lol

You locking them in the attic until its over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This would have been a great last line for Ashur

29d8w3r.gif

But Ashur being in that position was a bit stupid to begin with. Why would Glaber gift his hated enemy a prize like Ashur's head before a final attack which he was planning ? Ashur and his gang should have met a couple of Crixus/Gannicus/Spartacus/Oenamaeus in battle and had an old fashioned showdown like the Egyptian was.

Glaber wanted Ashur dead and he knew the rebels would get the job done pure and simple , I actually think he got a fitting end tbh as entertaining as he was, in the context of the show he was a scheming snake who had always been a joke to the other gladiators who felt him undeserving of the mark of the brotherhood. Giving such a character an honorable death (he spurned his best chance of that already with Oenomaus in B&S finale) on the battlefield would have been too good for him, so the writers stayed on message with him and had him not only die by a woman's hand but because of his own hubris by playing with her rather then just killing her.

Glaber wanted Ashur dead and he knew the rebels would get the job done pure and simple.

The Egyptian had a knife to his throat, Glaber could have killed him there and then but decided to let the rebels do it. He was waiting until they were too demoralised to fight cohesively and then on the eve of battle he sent them the guy they all wanted to kill. It wasnt necessary for the story so it could easily have been changed to have him face one of the others and add some suspense, it wasnt a case of he's in the camp and injured so it makes sense to use Naevia, the whole story was written for it to end the way it did which was poor I think.
    , I actually think he got a fitting end tbh as entertaining as he was, in the context of the show he was a scheming snake who had always been a joke to the other gladiators who felt him undeserving of the mark of the brotherhood. Giving such a character an honorable death (he spurned his best chance of that already with Oenomaus in B&S finale) on the battlefield would have been too good for him, so the writers stayed on message with him and had him not only die by a woman's hand but because of his own hubris by playing with her rather then just killing her

You can argue anything to work in the context of the show though, theres probably fifteen thousand different ways to kill him without an honorable death and fifteen thousand ways of arguing other ways wouldnt be honourable. Point is Naevia killing him like that wasnt a fitting end to such a huge character imo. It should have been a much bigger scene. Maybe they should have spaced out the deaths to fill some of the weak ass parts in the previous shows. Glaber, Ilythia, Lucretia and Oenamaeus would have been plenty in the finale. Killing Mira and Ashur earlier would have been better than squeezing them in for the finale in such a way as to give little impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was a huge fan of B&S and GOTA but Vengeance...just meh.

The new Spartacus was a big let down, by 6th episode I didn't care what happened to him. Mira and Naevia were awful as well, their warrior angle was a mess. I loved the other two series for being 'badass' at times, the two women put paid to that in Vengeance.

The whole Ilithyia and Lucretia story was absolute gold though, the ending was superb. Saved the series from being a disaster.

I get why they killed off Asher the way they did, probably a fitting way to kill him in a sense. However IMO a character of his stature in the show warranted a better finish. Maybe they could have put his death at the end of the 9th episode, after Lucretia he was the best character of Vengeance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So is it confirmed that Illythia is definitely dead? It certainly seems to me that she was alive at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Another episode made up of 75% shíte. Although I'm delighted to see Mira dead it was so pathetically done for a character who was so involved upto that point.

Seriously why do you even watch this show ? This entire thread this season has been dominated by your bitching about it. You clearly don't enjoy it as it disappoints you horribly all the time. And EVERY F&&KING week the same bitching rant about poor old Mira. You know what - she wasn't that bad. You didn't like her - get over it and spare the rest of us. Seriously the only thing I didn't like about her was your exact same rant about her every - freaking - week. GET OVER IT. I for one find your negative posts and fixation on the same points are dominating and ruining the thread. When you become a script writer you can make your own show the way you like.

Anyhow, now that I got that out of my system after biting my tongue last few weeks.......great episode. Was sad to see Mira and Onemeous go. But seeing Asher and Glaber finally getting their commupance was satisfying - particularly Glaber. Oh and the Egyptian - although it was a bit quick :P
    Was surpised Agorn didn't go. Didn't expect the whole Lucretia/Illythia thing but kind of feel like that story needed finishing also and Lucretia being bat **** mental was a good option. Though I am left wondering - there's no bad guys left!! Who will be the baddies next season? Pity to have to start over again.

Haha and was glad Lugo survived the opening - hahaha. Funny dude - where did they even find that actor ?

Seriously why do you even watch this show ? This entire thread this season has been dominated by your bitching about it. You clearly don't enjoy it as it disappoints you horribly all the time. And EVERY F&&KING week the same bitching rant about poor old Mira. You know what - she wasn't that bad. You didn't like her - get over it and spare the rest of us. Seriously the only thing I didn't like about her was your exact same rant about her every - freaking - week. GET OVER IT. I for one find your negative posts and fixation on the same points are dominating and ruining the thread. When you become a script writer you can make your own show the way you like

If you have an issue with my posts report them, if there is no reason to report them then move on. I am just as entitled as everyone else to have an opinion and I wont be changing it to suit you. Dont like my posts then ignore me theres no gun to your head forcing you to read it. No need to have a shít fit and get personal.

quickbeam wrote: »
    So is it confirmed that Illythia is definitely dead? It certainly seems to me that she was alive at the end.
    yeah read that yesterday, they said that they really felt like going back and reshooting that scene, as a lot of people in cluding myself thought she was alive, to bad i really loved her caracter she was a great bitch:D, and viva bianca is hot:D:D
    viva_bianca.jpg

Seriously why do you even watch this show ? This entire thread this season has been dominated by your bitching about it. You clearly don't enjoy it as it disappoints you horribly all the time. And EVERY F&&KING week the same bitching rant about poor old Mira. You know what - she wasn't that bad. You didn't like her - get over it and spare the rest of us. Seriously the only thing I didn't like about her was your exact same rant about her every - freaking - week. GET OVER IT. I for one find your negative posts and fixation on the same points are dominating and ruining the thread. When you become a script writer you can make your own show the way you like.

TBH I find the "if you don't like the show then leave" argument to be facile and annoying , he's plainly posting here because this season notwithstanding he has enjoyed the series and hopes it improves, could he be more constructive in his criticism yes of course he could , but then you could have been abit more constructive yourself and engaged him on the topics at hand like I did rather then all but accuse him of practically trolling and ruining the thread for you (melodramatic much?)

Anyway critique of your criticism over;)
    Anyhow, now that I got that out of my system after biting my tongue last few weeks.......great episode. Was sad to see Mira and Onemeous go. But seeing Asher and Glaber finally getting their commupance was satisfying - particularly Glaber. Oh and the Egyptian - although it was a bit quick :P
    Was surpised Agorn didn't go. Didn't expect the whole Lucretia/Illythia thing but kind of feel like that story needed finishing also and Lucretia being bat **** mental was a good option. Though I am left wondering - there's no bad guys left!! Who will be the baddies next season? Pity to have to start over again.

I'm assuming Crassus and Caesar will be the Villains next season ,I just hope they have cast well as I'm unfamiliar with the actors chosen and we won't have the crutch of an Ashur/Lucretia/Ilythia to fall back on after that cull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I just seen the episode there what a finish so who's next Rome? Caesar?
    IMHO think they need to drop Spartacus speeches they drag on and bore me and not nearly as good as original Spartacus Andy Whitfield
    But hope next season will be soon nothing to watch now

IMHO think they need to drop Spartacus speeches they drag on and bore me and not nearly as good as original Spartacus Andy Whitfield

Seriously you can't think of anything else to watch not even

GAME OF THRONES ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I enjoyed this season of Spartacus. The last episode was gripping and the amount of gore was crazy.
    Should be interesting to see where they go from here with the remaining characters.

Seriously you can't think of anything else to watch not even

[SIZE="7"]GAME OF THRONES ?????[/SIZE]
    Seen one episode didn't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

watch another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm all for differing opinions. With many other shows I would gladly debate the finer points of the show with you and try and change your mind.

However not with Game of Thrones. This is all thats needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah Steven S DeKnight confirmed that Ilythia is dead but did say it could have been made a bit clearer - there is a first shot of her crawling across the ground trailing a lot of blood, from where Lucretia cut out the child, but it was easy enough to miss in the darkness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I really enjoy this show, each series brings different elements to the table that whereas completely different tie in to the overall story line.
    Series 1 - Betrayal by the Romans, searching for the wife, training to be a Gladiator, making allegiances with the others.
    Series 2 - Setup of the house, giving a better understanding to events in series 1.
    Series 3 – Forming of a larger gathering, Roman politics, being out in the open, dealing with freedom.

Each season has had their own pros and cons and everyone will be comparing original actors & actresses to their replacements, I think that it has been a great show for planting seeds, allowing season/series long story lines to come through as well as showing plenty of nudity & violence :) I think the next series is going to be very slow, pretty much a complete new set of bad guys are going to need to be introduced as well as a few more new story lines between the “goodies”, especially between Ganacas and the German girl.
    Also, great timing by Starz and HBO to have Spartacus finish up just in time for Game of Thrones to start :)

Clareman wrote: »
    Also, great timing by Starz and HBO to have Spartacus finish up just in time for Game of Thrones to start :)

yeah its like they planned it together:D
    although magic city looks like it has some prospect, to bad GOT is gonna overshadow anything it does :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Haven't watched Magic City yet although I've been very impressed with the previews. Mrs. Clareman isn't a fan of Spartacus or GoT so I get to watch those on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Really enjoyed this season also. I was a bit iffy after the first ep, but from second ep on I was hooked. Dodgy acting, great fights, ridiculous gore, story twists and turns.....but it needed more tits. Hopefully more of the same next season....but with more tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Enjoyed last nights episode, i was sorry to see Mira go as i liked the character, she was loyal to Spartacus right to the end. Giannicus is another good character, hopefully he will play a big part in the next series. Crixus didnt seem to have as big a part to play this series i thought. Overall i think Liam did a good job as Spartacus. I wonder who will the blonde German girl hook up with. I think it might be Giannicus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion..

.. if you don't like it, then grin and bear it or just roll your eyes.

This is a discussion forum at the end of the day.

No more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I think Liam is doing his best in the role, the criticism is no suprise really. I'm not too disappointed with him, it has become more of an ensemble cast to cover him but I can't help think Andy Whitfield would have been even more immense this season than in the previous one.

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice at the end when Spartacus was giving his "let the Romans send their legions" speech that Gannacus kind of looked upset. The camera was on everyone else cheering and chanting and swung to him and he just looked like he wasn't looking forward to it, and then when Spartacus looked to him he gave him a reluctant nod. I think he might defect from the group, after all he always did enjoy his luxuries and I can't see him living life on the run forever.

Did anyone notice at the end when Spartacus was giving his "let the Romans send their legions" speech that Gannacus kind of looked upset. The camera was on everyone else cheering and chanting and swung to him and he just looked like he wasn't looking forward to it, and then when Spartacus looked to him he gave him a reluctant nod. I think he might defect from the group, after all he always did enjoy his luxuries and I can't see him living life on the run forever.
    That was the speech at the end right ? , if so he had just lost his best bud Oenomaus and likely wasn't in the mood to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Nah,he gave a nod to acknowledge that he was now part of this rebellion. If anything, Oenomaus' death will make him commit to the cause. He is in for the long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I something I'm appreciating more and more about the show is the sub-theme on religion. Its subtle and they don't make a big song and dance about it, but they are definitely playing with the differing roles of religion. For example, you have the lax followers - like many of the fighters talk of meeting loved ones in the after life - and its apparent from how its done that this gives them strength to deal with the crazy world they live in. Then you have the ardent believers like Lucretia, who turned out to be bat **** mental all along. Then you have manipulators like Gaius who is happy to use Lucretia to his own ends. I suppose Spartacus is kind of a manipulator himself in that he doesn't really believe but is happy to play along with those that do.

Anyhow - its something I've noticed more and more in the show. And frankly I quite enjoy this subtle deconstruction of religion in society throughout the show at a time when modern religious beliefs were being crafted. I like the depiction of the very practical nature of religion back then compared to the modern ideal and hierarchical based incarnation of the same.

I can't help but feel the writers are taking a subtle or not so subtle dig at organised religion.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I something I'm appreciating more and more about the show is the sub-theme on religion. Its subtle and they don't make a big song and dance about it, but they are definitely playing with the differing roles of religion. For example, you have the lax followers - like many of the fighters talk of meeting loved ones in the after life - and its apparent from how its done that this gives them strength to deal with the crazy world they live in. Then you have the ardent believers like Lucretia, who turned out to be bat **** mental all along. Then you have manipulators like Gaius who is happy to use Lucretia to his own ends. I suppose Spartacus is kind of a manipulator himself in that he doesn't really believe but is happy to play along with those that do.

Anyhow - its something I've noticed more and more in the show. And frankly I quite enjoy this subtle deconstruction of religion in society throughout the show at a time when modern religious beliefs were being crafted. I like the depiction of the very practical nature of religion back then compared to the modern ideal and hierarchical based incarnation of the same.

I can't help but feel the writers are taking a subtle or not so subtle dig at organised religion.

Was watching a program about religion in Rome there recently , the impression I got was that much like in America now you couldn't get ahead in Rome without putting on a show of devoutness whatever there religious beliefs , to glaber it was just a means to a political end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I enjoyed the season. I think Liam, while not as good an actor as what Andy Whitfield was is doing ok as Spartacus. They seem to be making more use of the other cast members to help shore up the rest, although its not a bad thing.

Was delighted to see all the deaths in the finale, except for Mira and Oenomaus. I liked their characters. Don't know how some of you reckon Mira (Katrina Law) isn't that good looking, shes gorgeous :eek:

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, Starz have already cast Marcus Crassus and Julius Caesar for season 3.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-spartacus-julius-caesar-marcus-crassus-299087

Edit: Was just thinking there, I know its early to be talking of such things, but what do you all reckon they will do with Spartacus once the show ends, providing its ended properly and not cancelled or such. In real life the Romans reported that they never found his body after finally defeating them... Do you think they will go with him having survived and returning home, kill him, leave it a mystery, etc?

• Advertisement

Anyone else worried about next season considering they killed off four of the best characters who pretty much carried the show for the entire season of Vengeance in terms of quality ?

The loss of Ashur, Glaber, Lucretia and Ilythia although in keeping with the story and ending in line with the quality of their story throughout the series leaves the new cast of Romans a huge task considering the story will more than likely be split between the rebels and the Romans as previous seasons were. Meaning an entirely new cast will have to carry half the show, more if the quality of the rebel end doesnt pick up from where it left off in Vengeance.

Liam is growing into his own version of Spartacus but other characters need to be brought to the fore of the rebel camp. Gannicus had his own story throughout Vengeance so hopefully he will continue in a lead role while in camp, probably hook up with he German gal. Crixus was left behind a bit in Vengeance after the first few episodes. The Crixus vs Agron thing never really went anywhere. So hopefully they will cook up something decent for next season for both of them.

*Note this opinion was not run past the "opinion guy" to check whether it was acceptable or not so may result in ruining the thread for everyone*

I think that look that gannicus made was like 'the roman legions? Are you taking the piss sorry Spartacus but I'm not gettin involved '

I think that look that gannicus made was like 'the roman legions? Are you taking the piss sorry Spartacus but I'm not gettin involved '

yeah thats what it looked like to me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I think Spartacus wasted a good opportunity there to tell Glabber that he shagged his wife. He's probably kicking himself.

I wonder will Illythia feature next season? Maybe she'll wander around the empty Ludus like a mad ghost, as Lucretia was doing at the start of the season.

She's dead

• Advertisement
Advertisement