Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors Fees For Selling House?

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, what are typical rates nowadays for Solicitors fees for sale of a house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They used to charge 1% of the sale value. I'm sure they have had to reduce their prices like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Got an estimate of a little over 2k on a house about to be sold for 220k, guess that sounds about right so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yeah but really it should be cheaper. About €1500-€1700 would be more appropriate in this economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Would those figures be including VAT, land registry fees, commissioners fees etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I used this guy recently for €785 including vat. He was really professional and responsive. http://www.robertsweeneylaw.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm about to pay €1,500.

Was a solicitor I'd used before and who already had the deeds to my gaff. Probably could have got cheaper if I'd been inclined to change guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Any idea what the going rate is for Solicitor's when buying a property?

Pretty much the same as for selling but the outlays will be a little different. A flat rate of about 1,200 was the average when I was shopping around recently. The link I posted above is a bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Question:

If a "sale agreed" falls through - i.e. some work gets done but contracts are not signed - does the solicitor still get paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as for selling but the outlays will be a little different. A flat rate of about 1,200 was the average when I was shopping around recently. The link I posted above is a bit cheaper.

A solicitor should be paid a flat rate for acting on the purchase or the sale.

It doesn't matter if the house is a three bed semi or a five bed detached.. the same work is generally involved unless there is a problem with title or the other party.

In fact solicitors should not have a monopoly on conveyancing .... it is a basic administration job that rarely requires any in depth investigation of title or expertise ... you don't need them when you sell your car so why should you need them for your house ! But I am going off on a tangent .

I wouldn't pay more than €700 - €800 inc vat !

• Advertisement

mebird wrote: »
    A solicitor should be paid a flat rate for acting on the purchase or the sale.

It doesn't matter if the house is a three bed semi or a five bed detached.. the same work is generally involved unless there is a problem with title or the other party.

In fact solicitors should not have a monopoly on conveyancing .... it is a basic administration job that rarely requires any in depth investigation of title or expertise ... you don't need them when you sell your car so why should you need them for your house ! But I am going off on a tangent .

I wouldn't pay more than €700 - €800 inc vat !

Not really sure what point you're addressing in my post. I said I was getting flat rate quotes of 1200 and posted a link to someone doing it for under 800. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Not really sure what point you're addressing in my post. I said I was getting flat rate quotes of 1200 and posted a link to someone doing it for under 800. :confused:

Sorry Bigcheeze, I was just following on from what you said. Should have started by saying that a flat rate should be sought not a % rate....I was suggesting that although one might not get it... €700 - 800 in most cases was reasonable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement