Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport to Achill-no morning/afternoon buses?!

Options
  • 14-07-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok I'm planning to go to achill for a weekend on friday 29th july. my train gets in westport at 11am. According to my reading of this table theres no way to get to Achill before 18:10??!! Surely I'm wrong? I would really appreciate any help!!

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1299257552-440.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ok I'm planning to go to achill for a weekend on friday 29th july. my train gets in westport at 11am. According to my reading of this table theres no way to get to Achill before 18:10??!! Surely I'm wrong? I would really appreciate any help!!

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1299257552-440.pdf

yes thats correct. no buses until 6pm thats normally the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Better off getting a later train if you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

There WERE two buses servicing the route up until about last year... one that left town at about 3pm. It is ridiculous, the more remote and in need of a service a location is, the more likely its unprofitable and will get cut.
    *rant over... for now... ;)*

kazzdee wrote: »
    There WERE two buses servicing the route up until about last year... one that left town at about 3pm. It is ridiculous, the more remote and in need of a service a location is, the more likely its unprofitable and will get cut.
    *rant over... for now... ;)*

there is now more buses leaving achill than ever before as its the starting point for the airport run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.greenway.ie/Trail-Map-01.html
    hire a bike
    supposed to be great spin
    plenty of new hire shops open
    only 42kms and it would be better than waiting around all day
    going to do it myself shortly

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    there is now more buses leaving achill than ever before as its the starting point for the airport run.

Yes the route goes to the airport, but the change to the services leaves visitors like the OP in a situation where she is hanging around Westport for hours with luggage.

Anyway, reliably informed, by actual residents....my folks, who are dependant on the service(and even live next door to the bus driver... :cool: )

Dep from Dooagh: Monday, Tues, Weds: 8.30 Thurs Fri 8.15 Sat 8.30
    Returning to achill at 6.10 each day from Westport.(Sorry OP, no services before that... :( )
    Sun service: 4pm to Galway.

So that is one departure and one return every day. So, really not more buses than ever.
    Ok, the seven day service is recent enough(3yrs) and to get to Galway is a novelty.. but that's about all the "extra" services put on in recent years.
    There used to be 3 buses every summer all return services, Achill is now down to one route even in peak season.
    And it is to be privatised at the end of this month too...
    So... who knows what will happen with that.. privatisation is always good right?! :)

kazzdee wrote: »
    Yes the route goes to the airport, but the change to the services leaves visitors like the OP in a situation where she is hanging around Westport for hours with luggage.

Anyway, reliably informed, by actual residents....my folks, who are dependant on the service(and even live next door to the bus driver... :cool: )

Dep from Dooagh: Monday, Tues, Weds: 8.30 Thurs Fri 8.15 Sat 8.30
    Returning to achill at 6.10 each day from Westport.(Sorry OP, no services before that... :( )
    Sun service: 4pm to Galway.

So that is one departure and one return every day. So, really not more buses than ever.
    Ok, the seven day service is recent enough(3yrs) and to get to Galway is a novelty.. but that's about all the "extra" services put on in recent years.
    There used to be 3 buses every summer all return services, Achill is now down to one route even in peak season.
    And it is to be privatised at the end of this month too...
    So... who knows what will happen with that.. privatisation is always good right?! :)

first i heard about this and my parents live in achill too and i get down most weekends myself.

irishgeo wrote: »
    first i heard about this and my parents live in achill too and i get down most weekends myself.

Not really good news but ya heard it here first folks! ;)
    The last of the Achill based bus drivers is retiring soon and when that happens the contract will is to be outsourced(or so sayeth the regular customers of that service anyway).

Advertisement