Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Clare People

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

mikemac wrote: »
    66. The Great Liberator Daniel O'Connell, won two elections in Clare.
    67. Jean Butler, from Riverdance in Eurovision 94. Lives in Killaloe
    I'm going to start one of these over in Tipp forum :)
    Welcome to the Clare forum Mikemac :), When you start the famous Tipp people thread, we might loan you Jean Butler. I've seen her a few times in Killaloe but I think she is actually living in Ballina :( Maybe she has dual citizenship of Clare and Tipp :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I've seen her a few times in Killaloe but I think she is actually living in Ballina :( Maybe she has dual citizenship of Clare and Tipp :D:D

Maybe it's like the Lakeside Hotel
    Clearly in Ballina but somehow gave themselves a Killaloe address???? :rolleyes:
    The Lakeside Hotel in Killaloe County Clare is the ideal base for both leisure and business.

WTF? :confused:

Clearly in Ballina but somehow gave themselves a Killaloe address???? :rolleyes:

I have many friends across the water in Ballina but they use the address Ballina/Killaloe. Co. Clare otherwise their post ends up in Mayo.

I think the hotels use the Killaloe address as it's better known than Ballina and it eliminates the confusion with Ballina in Co. Mayo. However, you are correct the Lakeside, Goosers, Flangans, Molly's & Co. are all definitely in Tipp :). TBH most of the development in the area over the last ten years has occurred on the Tipp side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Jesus Mrs007 you are seriously scraping the barrel on famous people there, change the thread to "Assorted people of Clare that are famous but are mostly known a little bit outside the county by poeple from a GAA backround".

Michael Donnellan?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Colin Lynch. Not only a great hurler but also the first person to be suspended by the GAA on the word of a non-GAA offical or video evidence, his case led to a number of rules changing in the GAA in regards to suspensions.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    Jesus Mrs007 you are seriously scraping the barrel on famous people there, change the thread to "Assorted people of Clare that are famous but are mostly known a little bit outside the county by poeple from a GAA backround".

Michael Donnellan?!
    I'd say that we really only have a handful of "famous" people in the county, the rest are people who have achieved some success in their chosen field.

As for Michael, he was twice world Irish dancing champion, that is not a bad achievement, I wouldn't mind being a world champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

45. Eddie Lenihan (Writer and Seanachai)
    46. Regina Nathan (Opera Singer)
    47. Niall Williams (Writer)
    48. Christine Breen (Writer)
    49. Marty Morrissey (Broadcaster)
    50. Rachel English (Broadcaster)
    51. Members of the Kelfenora Ceili Band
    52. Members of Stockon's Wing
    53. Noel Hill (Irish Traditional Musician)
    54. Tommy Hayes (Irish Traditional Musician)
    54. Brendan Grace (Comedian/Killaloe Publican)
    55. Kieran Fallon (professional flat racing jockey and has been British Champion Jockey six times)
    56. Jason Titley (Grand National Winner)
    57. Robbie McMahon (Singer/Song Writer - best well known for singing "Spancil Hill")

He is from Dublin and has lived more in his Florida home more than he did in his house in Killaloe.

Kess73 wrote: »
    He is from Dublin and has lived more in his Florida home more than he did in his house in Killaloe.

I think Brendan fits the OP's description
    wrote:
    "They may have been born and bred here or they maybe linked by association or a love for the county!"

I have described Brendan as a publician as he owned a pub in Killaloe that it correct.

I'd say that we really only have a handful of "famous" people in the county, the rest are people who have achieved some success in their chosen field.

As for Michael, he was twice world Irish dancing champion, that is not a bad achievement, I wouldn't mind being a world champion.

didn't say it was a bad achievement,I even know the guy but no-one outside of Clare or dancing would know him in fairness!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I heard once that Robert De Niro has/had a house in Killaloe....true or false?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Danny DiVito's cousin/relation of some sort owns Numero Uno pizza in Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

False- local rumour has it that he was outbid for a property in the area by the limerick woman who won the Euromillions- Delores whatshername

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Is Mrs Doyle [Pauline McLynn] a Clarewoman?

golfball37 wrote: »
    False- local rumour has it that he was outbid for a property in the area by the limerick woman who won the Euromillions- Delores whatshername
    Dolores McNamara purchased Lough Derg Hall, it is actually in Ogonnelloe.

EuroMillions lottery winner Dolores McNamara, the 46-year-old mother of six has splashed out ?1.7m on the 10,000sq ft hill-top property at Ogonnelloe, Co Clare that overlooks the resplendent lower end of Lough Derg.

After much speculation as to where the multi-millionaire would plant her flag, the Irish Independent can confirm that two weeks ago she signed contracts for Lough Derg Hall - regarded as one of the finest country-style houses to come on the market in the region.

The house had been for sale for three years and Robert DeNiro was reportedly interested in taking it. It was sold by Antigua-based property developer Derek Barrett and his wife Brenda, who built it in the late nineties.

The Limerick lady has been true to her stated determination of keeping her feet firmly on the ground. - She snatched the house out of the hands of another bidder, but still at some ?250,000 under the asking price.

Her new home boasts some of the most amazing views in the country and is at the end of a half-mile long private entrance, fronted by electric gates and an eight-foot high wall.

Set on a private estate of 38 acres amid the many rolling hills that overlook the famous lake, the home boasts a 6,000 sq ft residence with six en suite bedrooms, each with four-poster beds.

There are seven bathrooms and a large kitchen and marble-clad entrance hall.

Dolores and her family can also enjoy a hot tub from which they will have stunning views of the lake. The hot tub is located off the rear of the house which is fully decked, along with both gable ends.

The half-mile entrance is rail fenced and leads to a cut stone and red-brick Gate House.

There is a large water feature to the front of the house and a horse motif on a wall to the side of the property.

There is also a 2,500 sq ft Coach House with cobble lock area to the front near the dwelling house. This includes two bedrooms and one en suite guest apartment with double garage and electric up and down doors.

Is Mrs Doyle [Pauline McLynn] a Clarewoman?
    Pauline is from Sligo but she did spend alot of time in Clare filming Fr. Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

"maybe linked by association or a love for the county."

Would think that the late, great Richard Harris would certainly fall into this category with his Kilkee connection.

Could we add Russell Crowe too? He was in Kilkee for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

ok if we can do that my favourite is che guevara, hanging out in a pub in kilkee with jim fitzpatrick...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hermes5

Could we add Russell Crowe too? He was in Kilkee for a day.

In that case, Jack Doyle (famous boxer and playboy) and Movita (sexy film actress) coz they notoriously shacked up in the huts at Shannon and did 'durty tings' scandalising the local population:D:p

Guns N Roses got off the plane in Shannon years back and tried to get the duty free open to get whiskey, unfortunately ran into an auld lad who gave them hell and " I don't care who ye are " attitude. They sheepishly apologised and ambled back to their plane.

• Advertisement

Guns N Roses got off the plane in Shannon years back and tried to get the duty free open to get whiskey, unfortunately ran into an auld lad who gave them hell and " I don't care who ye are " attitude. They sheepishly apologised and ambled back to their plane.
    LOL :D:D

It is an awful shame that Boris Yelsin didn't make it off the plane, if he had, we could have included him on the list too :D

I know the guy in question, he is an idol for me for doing that to Axl, he barely remembers it - used to that crack in airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The reason for this is because Ballina does not have a Post Office, so the use the mighty Killaloe's postal address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Was Ted Furey,trad musician and father of the famous Furey brothers born in Clare? I'm sure I heard somebody say he was born around Miltown!

The Pecker Dunne (Trad Musician) - originally from Wexford but has lived in West Clare for years.
    He is one of Ireland's most noted banjo players (also proficient with fiddle, melodeon and guitar),and is among an elite of Traveller musicians that includes The Fureys.

Dunne became known to a wide Irish audience from his regular busking at GAA sporting fixtures, particularly in Munster. Later he played in England, France, Australia and New York, where he appeared with The Dubliners. He also performed alongside Richard Harris and Stephen Rea in the 1996 feature film Trojan Eddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Pat O'Donnell, sponser of the Clare team.

policarp wrote: »
    Pat O'Donnell, sponser of the Clare team.
    We better include Martin Donnelly too :)

False

False.
    The rumour about de Niro started back when I was about 13, I am nearly 30 now. She bought a house 2 yrs ago in Ogonnelloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

There was also a rumour that Peter Kaye had bought a house in the area too, not sure how true that is.
    Did anyone mention David Coleman, not a Clare man but living in Clare, ALSO Crona Byrne -Gay's daughter?

Advertisement