Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road re-surfacing in Wicklow

• 14-07-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Wicklow CC were re-surfacing the road between the county border with Dublin (road up from Hellfire and Feather Beds) to the turn for Glencree today.

They've put down gravel on top of tar but there's loads of loose gravel - big chunky stones.

I was coming back into Dublin so being uphill it was do-able, but in the Dublin to Wicklow direction I'd advise anyone to avoid it for the weekend at least. The one southbound cyclist I saw was walking.

Maybe they'll go over it again tomorrow and it will be ok, but probably not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

To be fair to Wicklow CoCo if they finish it anything like they did the 21 Bends between Enniskerry and the N11 it'll be worth the wait. That road is now a joy to cycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Am I right in thinking this is the main road up from Rathfarnham etc that goes up the hill past the carpark, over another mountain, down to Glencree and on up past Lough Bray to Sally Gap? How long a stretch are the works over? That's the exact route I was thinking of cycling tomorrow morning! :mad: would appreciate updates from anyone else who's up that way today! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Military road to Glencree I'm guessing that you're talking about?

Stocking Lane & Edmondstown/Cruagh are in SDCC's remit, I've never seen them stick down loose gravel when resurfacing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Was up there yesterday evening with 2 mates.

Its about 3.5km long, and as others have said the road is now (or was on the evening of July 14 2011) covered in gravel. We were going south, so downhill, so had to really watch the speed.

There were some "tracks" in the gravel where cars had gone by that were rideable but the corners were hairy enough.

Its passable but ya gotta watch your speed (~20km/h). Ideally avoid it but you'll get through. Pump your tyres up good though, one bloke we passed had already fixed a puncture.

It ends at the turn after Glencree (fork in the road) before you start heading up past Lough Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Leitrim CoCo did the same thing to a road that I have to cycle on for at least 5k in order to reach a decent cycling road about a month ago. Unfortunately, that's the way they left it too. It had taken up to this week and a lot of traffic on this stretch of road to leave the road comfortable and safe to cycle on again. This appears to be a cheap method of maintainance for CoCo's around the country - so don't be expecting them to put another layer on top for the benefit of us cyclists.

• Advertisement

maloner wrote: »
    Was up there yesterday evening with 2 mates.

Its about 3.5km long, and as others have said the road is now (or was on the evening of July 14 2011) covered in gravel. We were going south, so downhill, so had to really watch the speed.

There were some "tracks" in the gravel where cars had gone by that were rideable but the corners were hairy enough.

Its passable but ya gotta watch your speed (~20km/h). Ideally avoid it but you'll get through. Pump your tyres up good though, one bloke we passed had already fixed a puncture.

It ends at the turn after Glencree (fork in the road) before you start heading up past Lough Bray.

Ok thanks from that I'm reading that after the carpark above Cruagh Road you head (south) uphill a good bit more than there's a high-up flat stretch before you descend towards Glencree. Am I think of the right stretch of road? Was a fairly bumpy road in parts so sounds like that's where a job might have been needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think this is the new cheap way to resurface roads. Carlow Co Co have done the same to all of the roads around my house and now I have to drive a few kms to find a decent surface. I was out on Tuesday and didn't realise that the chipping was so extensive, I rode into the chips thinking that they had to end soon and they eventually did, about 5kms later. As I cycled along I was worried about punctures and keeping upright. Every time a car went past there were little stones hitting me and pinging off the bike. Sure enough within a few minutes of getting home the front tyre deflated. I'm going to avoid this surface until it beds in a bit better and all the loose chips are washed away - which could be by Monday given the forecast for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

The boundary between Wicklow CoCo and SDCC was marked on the road a few months ago, just beside the bog road (i.e. not the RTE service road) which heads in the direction of Kippure. I'm guessing it was in preparation for this.

In fairness the stretch of road south from there to Glencree was awful, very rough since last winter. Hopefully it will be better once the loose chips have been pounded into the tar by cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

g0g wrote: »
    Ok thanks from that I'm reading that after the carpark above Cruagh Road you head (south) uphill a good bit more than there's a high-up flat stretch before you descend towards Glencree. Am I think of the right stretch of road? Was a fairly bumpy road in parts so sounds like that's where a job might have been needed!
    Yeah, from the description, it's the section of road from here to the turn-off for Glencree/Old Long Hill. Pity, cos that's a nice descent when the road is dry.

Sometime last year, someone (probably an entire team of county council workers) painted a line across the road at this spot, and arrows indicating where South Dublin started/ended and Wicklow started/ended.

I had to laugh because as soon as I crossed the line into South Dublin, the road surface instantly became smoother and was easier to ride on. Though to be fair, it also marks the end of the uphill from Glencree.

g0g wrote: »

Yup thats the spot. This is (more or less) where it was a mess yesterday.

google maps link

The mess starts as that descent after the flat bit begins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Given that the Military road is used as much if not more by cyclists these days, it could be worth dropping an email to the Wicklow road safety office expressing concerns of dangers to cyclists. I'd say give it a week though, as it could well be a work in progress. Some of the other roads in the area, such as Cruagh, have seen great improvement, albeit this one was SDCC.

While the Military road isn't a major thoroughfare it is listed in a number of Wickow Co Co documents as an area of special amenity and heritage interest. I suspect (hope?) they are conducive to doing a good job on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

Went up Slaughter Hill this morning (R765 from Newtown to Roundwood). There are fresh chippings on the road. Its ok going up but could be tricky descending. Better to wait a few days.

smacl wrote: »
    Given that the Military road is used as much if not more by cyclists these days, it could be worth dropping an email to the Wicklow road safety office expressing concerns of dangers to cyclists. I'd say give it a week though, as it could well be a work in progress. Some of the other roads in the area, such as Cruagh, have seen great improvement, albeit this one was SDCC.

While the Military road isn't a major thoroughfare it is listed in a number of Wickow Co Co documents as an area of special amenity and heritage interest. I suspect (hope?) they are conducive to doing a good job on this one.

Good idea. Done.

Will report any news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

If we can't take the bitta inconvenience with road repairs the roads are going to stay crap:eek:

Standard practice seems to be to leave the cars to do the final bedding in of the chippings.

I went down it on Wed night with a couple of others and it was a bit sketchy but grand and will be fine in another week or so.

My suggestion would be to leave the complaints for when and where there are big potholes that need repairing and don't be possibly peeing off those in the various council departments that are actually trying to repair the roads for cyclist and motorists alike :)

Good idea. Done.

Will report any news.

Prompt reply.
    Can you provide me with information on what is being done, and when it
    will be finished?

The road has been resurfaced. It is hoped to
    complete the works next week. Clearing of loose chippings should take
    place at some stage shortly thereafter.

Excuseless wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to leave the complaints for when and where there are big potholes that need repairing and don't be possibly peeing off those in the various council departments that are actually trying to repair the roads for cyclist and motorists alike :)

Personally, I'm much happier to see resurfacing works of any nature than dumping a load of tarmac into pothole, which is a short term ad hoc solution at best. I don't think you're going to be peeing anyone off in the council by pointing out that the gravel on the road is a hazard to cyclists. Having worked with local authority roads engineers on a regular basis over the last couple of decades, IMO they're usually open to any input from the public, as it's part of their remit to maintain the roads for all users. Budgetary constraints will always be the major issue, but they are trying to get the best result for the funds available. If cyclists make themselves heard, they are more likely to influence future design and works decisions, where the engineer may have more than one option for a given road maintenance job.

Just 'cos your talking to the council, doesn't necessarily make it a complaint ;)

Personally, I'm much happier to see resurfacing works of any nature than dumping a load of tarmac into pothole, which is a short term ad hoc solution at best. I don't think you're going to be peeing anyone off in the council by pointing out that the gravel on the road is a hazard to cyclists. Having worked with local authority roads engineers on a regular basis over the last couple of decades, IMO they're usually open to any input from the public, as it's part of their remit to maintain the roads for all users. Budgetary constraints will always be the major issue, but they are trying to get the best result for the funds available. If cyclists make themselves heard, they are more likely to influence future design and works decisions, where the engineer may have more than one option for a given road maintenance job.

Just 'cos your talking to the council, doesn't necessarily make it a complaint ;)

I also asked about signage, and he said there was signage there. I can't recall it but he could well be right. I might have been distracted by the gravel to notice the signs :)

I also asked about signage, and he said there was signage there. I can't recall it but he could well be right. I might have been distracted by the gravel to notice the signs :)

Might take a spin up there on the hybrid tomorrow and report back. The 32c marathons are ok on gravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Might take a spin up there on the hybrid tomorrow and report back. The 32c marathons are ok on gravel.
    Nice one! I was intending to use that road on Sunday, so I'll look out for your report. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Fantastic news, i really hated this road for its surface, especially on the way home into Dublin after a long day down int he hills. Really looking forward to this being completed.

• Advertisement

Thanks and please make sure you're out at the craic of dawn and back by 07:30 tomorrow with a full report so I know what to expect!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they usually come along after the chippings have bedded in and sweep up any remaining loose stuff. Usually.

Having said that, chippings on tar is the lowest form of resurfacing and I find it very noisy and energy sapping to cycle on compared a properly asphalt-surfaced road (the Newcastle-Rathnew road is an example of this).

Cycled this stretch around 09:30 heading south today. There are still loose chippings everywhere but it's grand enough and we had no problems. I was on a hybrid and the other lad on a road bike. We cycled close to middle of road in patches to get the smooth part plus also ensure no one passed us in a car at speed going either direction. Only met one car the whole way along there coming towards us and they slowed right down. The surfacing also appears to be on that other left turn after Glencree where the Wicklow 200 came to from Kilmacanogue.

Just back from there myself, the stretch on the military road was ok, but it was great to get passed it and on up the sally gap. Was planning on the Powerscourt run on the way back, but there was gravel there as well which is more of a hazard with the many blind bends, so ended up returning via glencree.

For those coming from the Dublin direction planning on the sally gap that don't like gravel, I'd recommend go Enniskerry -> Glencree -> Sallygap, as this will leave you with only a very short stretch on gravel. Saw a few people pushing their bikes coming from Glencree direction towards Stocking lane, so the uphill could be awkward.

Some wind up the gap this afternoon, struggled into it as far as the cross roads and then turned to have it at my back. Brilliant craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Hey, thanks for doing that recce and reporting back, much appreciated.

Weather forecast for tomorrow (well, today) is for northwesterly winds gusting in exposed areas to about 100 km/h :eek:

Might be an idea to give the higher ground a miss. I wonder what the roads are like out around Trim/Summerhill.

Erm, if you're up bright and early in the morning, would you mind popping out that way and taking a quick look for us? .... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

hey anyone any further updates on the state of the road now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

On Wed evening it was still pretty gravelly. I wouldn't want to descend on it. Going up - from Glencree to Kilakee - was ok.

As g0g mentioned above, there's also a long section of resurfacing on the road from Powerscourt Waterfall past the Liam Horner memorial, about the last 2-3km has been done. This section will be familiar to anyone who did the W200 over the last 2 years.

It's generally ok on the ascent but there is a fair amount of gravel (as of Saturday 23rd July) on the steepest part near the Liam Horner memorial which can spin out the back wheel easily enough.

Apart from the long continuous stretch there's lots of little spots where potholes have been filled in with tar and gravel, some of this is still loose, along with a larger bit on the steepest part of road just after the Dargle Bridge when heading towards the Sally Gap from Powerscourt Waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

The gravel on Military Road last friday was bad and it was hairy descending twords glencree however, it had improved alot by sunday, though I would advise wearing eye wear :cool: as some of the cars were going fast enough past us to flick up stones and its the big 1 Euro coin sized stuff

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

-K2- wrote: »
    As g0g mentioned above, there's also a long section of resurfacing on the road from Powerscourt Waterfall past the Liam Horner memorial, about the last 2-3km has been done. This section will be familiar to anyone who did the W200 over the last 2 years.

It's generally ok on the ascent but there is a fair amount of gravel (as of Saturday 23rd July) on the steepest part near the Liam Horner memorial which can spin out the back wheel easily enough.

Apart from the long continuous stretch there's lots of little spots where potholes have been filled in with tar and gravel, some of this is still loose, along with a larger bit on the steepest part of road just after the Dargle Bridge when heading towards the Sally Gap from Powerscourt Waterfall.

Yeah, didn't enjoy this at all today as wasn't expecting it and made the longish drag a lot harder then I expected, really ups the rolling resistance. Going a couple of miles an hour with the amount of flies wasn't pleasant at all!

More roadworks in this area, on the Dublin side this time.

More roadworks in this area, on the Dublin side this time.

This looks like the section. I was up there yesterday and the surface wasn't that bad, when compared to the horrible section after it anyway, as you head down towards the top of Glencree.

This looks like the section. I was up there yesterday and the surface wasn't that bad, when compared to the horrible section after it anyway, as you head down towards the top of Glencree.

That's it alright

SDCC suggest an alternative loop, nice if you like climbing.

SDCC suggest an alternative loop, nice if you like climbing.

Thanks for the head's up.

That section up Grassamucky is one serious ramp ok, haven't been up there in ages, might give it a go next again next weekend. The resurfaced section of the military road and route down to Powerscourt are pretty good now that most of the loose gravel is gone, although would have been nicer tarmaced as per Cruagh road. Lovely spin up that way yesterday, though the wet leaves on the Cruagh descent could get treacherous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Was up there this morning. Unfortunately I hadn't read this thread beforehand. Big descent and another climb to get around it. Looks like they are doing a far better job on it that the crap job Wicklow CC do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Was up there myself today. Looks like a total resurface. I was planning to turn off at the Kippure road anyway so had no intention of doing the reroute.

Great day for a cycle tho! short sleeves, shorts and sunglasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Given the last 2 Winters we have had, sounds like the Co.Councils are putting heavy chippings on a lot of roads that are high up or a have a gradient on them, this would be "apparently" of benefit to "motorists" for traction when the road conditions worsen over the coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Was involved in some resurfacing on the fairyhouse rd this week, moving on to Cloghran roundabout next week right into swords, great to see roads being upgraded but it means i dont get out on the bike much.
    Dont know of anyone in the surfacing trade that is out of work, just hope the snow stays well away.

Was up and down this today. Despite theminimal visibility and howling gales the surface is really nice! So weird the difference in surface when yo ucross the county border though!

Advertisement