Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to replace dead immersion timer & boost

Options
  • 14-07-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi Folks any suggestions please,
    Our Robus R9 immersion timer with boost function has died and these units are no longer manufactured, so I need a replacement.

I just want the immersion on for an hour or so in the morning and a boost button, and the timer preferably with an analog clock.
    It seems to be hard to find this, a lot of the popular Horstmann units seem to be on all night which is not what I want.

A local supplier had a Sunvic model that will probably do, bit it is digital.

I saw this " greenbrook T109-C Dual Tariff Boost Timer" on Amazon that looked to fit the bill, but they don't ship to Ireland.
    Any other suggestions or possibilities,

tks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Better off just getting a digital one. People seem afraid they wont be able to set them. Its easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I put in an electronic immersion switch many years ago but I was the only one who could program it! - no good.

Here is my current set-up. Traditional electro-mechanical switch in parallel with a boost timer. Everyone in the house can use it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Energysavers.ie

Thats a great set-up, the timers are available on energysavers .ie, pay for itself in jig time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

deandean wrote: »
    I put in an electronic immersion switch many years ago but I was the only one who could program it! - no good.

Here is my current set-up. Traditional electro-mechanical switch in parallel with a boost timer. Everyone in the house can use it:D

Interesting set up, so does boost works when the timer is off anyway?
    and the immersion on/off is always on?

The only one I can see on energysavers.ie is a "run back timer" looks like a boost switch set up, but doesnt seem to have the 24hr timer included?

The thing I dont like about the digital timers is the basic ones at least dont have the same number of on/off capability of the mechanical ones. Something like 3 on/off times??, mechanical ones can be set for 30 mins any time during the day.

Merch wrote: »
    Interesting set up, so does boost works when the timer is off anyway?
    and the immersion on/off is always on?

If either timer or boost is on, then the immersion is on. So it will only be off when both timer and boost are off. Thats exactly the same thing any timer with boost control on it does.

It will work perfectly like that. Simple to wire as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Where did you pick up the boost timer? I keep saying i should get one for home...

Where did you pick up the boost timer? I keep saying i should get one for home...

There`s a project for you now, a 555 timer chip, or 2 or 3 cascaded, and a relay:D

Or one of them corridoor lighting timers, what do they do up to?

Uhh, I'll come back with a linky.

I also reduced my cylinder thermostat from 65DegC to 58DegC - safer hot water, and more than hot enough.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    There`s a project for you now, a 555 timer chip, or 2 or 3 cascaded, and a relay:D

Or one of them corridoor lighting timers, what do they do up to?

Hahaha Robbie is the 555 still around? I have a book of NE555 circuits here somewhere, dated...1978:p

Hahaha Robbie is the 555 still around? I have a book of NE555 circuits here somewhere, dated...1978:p

It is alright, i had to make a circuit using a couple of them in a job/project i did a few months ago. I had not seen them in years myself before that.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If either timer or boost is on, then the immersion is on. So it will only be off when both timer and boost are off. Thats exactly the same thing any timer with boost control on it does.

It will work perfectly like that. Simple to wire as well.

But the actual immersion switch is on all the time I assume, so the OP only needs to change the sink/bath switch if required?
    Any wiring diagrams as examples? I'll also look out for the link too.

I was thinking of changing an immersion to timer with boost.
    Only problem was I couldnt find a timer that was rated (amps) for an immersion, I think I saw some since that had a different rating to a timer for heating controls (I believe that place has closed since though) but neither did they have an integrated boost button either. I would have liked to be able to replace the whole setup with something digital, but couldnt find anything designed/rated to use with immersion and they simply didnt have the on/off increments like a mechanical timer, i.e. 30 minute time intervals 48 times a day ( mechanical type also happened to be easier for the person that would use it to change settings/set time).

Some of the above is prob possible with a relay? but I was trying to keep it as simple with as few components (preferably one purpose built component to replace the old immersion on/off switch with sink/bath switch)

But the actual immersion switch is on all the time I assume, so the OP only needs to change the sink/bath switch if required?
    Any wiring diagrams as examples? I'll also look out for the link too.

Here is how the boost would be wired with the seperate timer. It shows just the actual timer and boost switching contacts before the immersion switch. The timer and booster would need 230v connected to them to run the actual timers, which is not shown here.
    immersionwithtimerandboost.jpg

Some of the above is prob possible with a relay? but I was trying to keep it as simple with as few components (preferably one purpose built component to replace the old immersion on/off switch with sink/bath switch)

Yes 30 amp 230/240v relays can be got in maplin so any timer could then switch the immersion on and off. A single relay can be incorporated into the above circuit easily enough to do the power switching of the elements if a timer and/or booster switch cant do it.

are there any solid state relays/ devices that are designed for the purpose rather than using an electro-mech one? i.e. that can be wired in easily to do the same job?

are there any solid state relays/ devices that are designed for the purpose rather than using an electro-mech one? i.e. that can be wired in easily to do the same job?

Solid state relays using triacs would be more complex than standard relays, and of no advantage when the switching voltage is itself 230v ac anyway.

Mechanical immersion timers can switch the immersion directly. I assume the boost timer in the link earlier can also, likely through its own internal relay contacts switched via a timer circuit, so it cant be made much simpler really.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Here's a digital time clock I installed recently. Has plenty of on and off times and weekends etc. http://www.esbstore.ie/Product/Sangamo-Programmable-Immersion-Time-Switch-with-Boost-Control/1159/100

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tomcat007

Hello - I am looking to install a booster timer switch for my immersion which is currently had a bath/sink switch. I know that the booster switch should be installed before the bath/sink switch however as the wiring to this switch is hidden behind the plasterboard I am unable to install the booster switch here. Can I install the booster switch after the bath/sink switch i.e. between this and the immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can I install the booster switch after the bath/sink switch i.e. between this and the immersion?

I don't think so. That is a single channel device so it can only control one of the elements. What you're looking to do is not impossible but you will need to get a good electrician - specifically one who will not gouge a big hole in the plasterboard looking for the feed and leave an almighty mess behind.

I'd advise you to unscrew the Sink/Bath switch from the wall and look to see where the feed is coming from, if it's coming from the side then it should be possible to create an aperture over the feed and splice the wiring to install a timer switch. But even if the feed is coming from above, there's no reason why you couldn't put the timer where the Sink/ Bath switch is now and run the (now switched) feed to an adjacent location where you can relocate the Sink/Bath switch. The complicated part is going to be running the new link behind the plasterboard, if you don't want a visible conduit carrying the link.

There are lots of queries here for dual channel timer and boost devices for an immersion. The reality is that dual channel controllers in this part of the world are designed to restrict use of the Bath element to off-peak (as determined by Economy 7 or similar) times of the day. And if there is a 'Boost' button, it will only heat the Sink element.

Advertisement