Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living and Breathing Crossfit

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I suppose i better get in on the circle jerk here and start logging some of my stuff seeing as im doing alot more crossfit these days and trying to make my life more about it.

I have worked Offshore as a Saturation Construction Diver for the last 8 years,all over the planet in places like Nigeria,Azerbaijan,Congo,Sudan,Iraq etc etc
    But ive had enough of it,not because of the lavish pay checks,but how hard it is on my fitness as living in a 5x5m chamber with 6 blokes under pressure takes alot of your body.I get months off work at a time,train hard and then have to start all over again after 28 days in the chamber.

So this month im doing my Level 1 Crossfit cert and am currently staying Newcastle getting coached like a mofo and helping out.Ive been doing crossfit on my own for 3 years and have learned alot from getting coached proper these last few weeks.
    I would like to open up my own Box in Galway within the next 12 months.I hope i don't give in and go back to my high paying job because my options are this -

1.Rat Race,making money/feeling like **** and being unfit
    or
    2.Live the dream of doing what i love

Weight:75kg
    Height:5'9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Was going to log everything for last month but could'nt be arsed...

13/07/11 AM
    Push Press Drills upto 70kg
    Push Jerk Drills upto 70kg
    Clean & Jerk 60kg x 5

PM
    Press 3x5 65kg
    Weighted Pull Up 3x5 - 14.5kg;20kg;22.5kg
    WOD - 5 Rounds
    8 Push Press
    200m Sprint
    40;41;40;41;38

14/07/11
    Nasty Girls
    3RFT
    50 Air Squats
    7 Muscle Ups
    10 HPC 60kg
    15min,bad tactical error on the muscle ups,just learned how to do these properly last week with a fasle grip and turn the wrists out at the bottom,did too many to begin with and by 3 round was having muscle failure.

Shoulders are wrecked after the last 2 days of heavy pressing and muscle ups.

15/07/11

AM - 5km Recovery Run,hamstrings still a bit achy - 35:00

PM - Crossfit North East England
    1km Run Warm Up

Deadlift
    40;50;60;70;80;90;100;110;120;130;140;150kg 1 Rep
    160kg x 3 with belt and cross grip
    3 week back deadlifting with coaching,wanted to rep 5 but need to drill touch and go and pushing hips back on the down.

5x400m Sprint 3 min rest between
    1:10 1:09 1:08 1:11

Sleep: 6 hours max
    Nutrition: Good,turned down the pasta and stuck to paleo.

Booked the Crossfit football cert in Belfast for August and also entered in the Central Manchester Invitational on July 30th so excited about all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

gavkm27 wrote: »

You training with Kempie?

Dead Ed wrote: »
    gavkm27 wrote: »

You training with Kempie?

Yeah man Kempie and Leon are the owners/coaches here,they seem to know their sh*t :)

16/07/11

10am Crossfit North East England
    800m Run Warm Up
    5-10min Mobility work with bands

WOD - Half Murph
    0.5 Mile Run
    10 rounds of Cindy - 5 Pull Ups;10 Press Ups;15 Air Squats
    0.5 Mile Run
    No Weight Vest

13:29

-Happy with this,did it unbroken,have done Murph a few times and came in around 35:00 range so hoping to break 30:00 next time i do that.

-Sleep : 8 hours
    -Nutrition: Good so far today,just put a roast in the oven for a few hours while i park my arse on the couch and watch Le Tour:D:D

• Advertisement

18/07/11 - 8AM

Warm Up - 3 sets of 10 Pull Ups;10 Push Ups(release hands at bottom)10 sit ups;10 Air Squats.

Deadlift
    60kg;70kg;80kg;90kg;100kg;110kg x 2
    120kg;130kg;140kg;150kg x 1
    160kg x 3
    Was going for a set of 5 on 160kg and missed it again,will scale back to 150kg for 5 sets of 3 reps,that will be my base to work up from.
    Russian KB Swings and Double Under drills

6PM

Warm Up 3 rounds Of the usual

Squats
    20kg working up to 80kg for 5 reps.
    My squat technique has been brutal and am starting all over again with proper coaching.It will be awhile yet before I lift heavy but am happy where I'm at.

WOD
    3 Rounds for Time
    20kg Overhead Squat
    50 Double Unders

12:11

2 things I am crap at,good to work on weaknesses,if I had it my way we'd be doing wod's like Cindy all the time.

Sleep: 6.5 hr
    Nutrition: Good,focused on eating 'close to the source'

Big week this week,off to BrandX Crossfit 1 hour from San Diego to do my level 1 Cert,they were they 5th Affiliate so excited to check it out.

Also WODS released for the UK Crossfit Games next week 30th and I like them all.

19/07/11 - CFNEE

Had a whole world of pain i didn't know about today,did 'Fight Gone Bad' for the first time,5 different excersises,1min each then 1 min rest and 3 rounds.

Reps Per Rnd:
    Wall Balls 20lbs- 30 20 22
    32kg KB Sumo Deadlift High Pull - 20 15 5
    Box Jumps 24'- 25 20 30
    Push Press 35kg- 20 20 20
    Row for Calories- 18 16 17

Total Reps - 297

The Sumo Deadlift High Pull were my worst of the 5,Wall Balls and Box Jumps are bodyweight movements which i am competent at.Push Press got sloppy and hard but still managed to muscle them out,need to stay aligned and push hips back for the drive up.
    All the games athletes are 400+ so im still happy with that for my first attempt,will be aiming for at least 350 next shot at this.

Sleep: 7.5 hr
    Nutrition: Ok starting to get major carb pangs will have to go nuts soon and just load up like crazy.

As mentioned in another post the UK games workouts have been released and i like the look of them,WOD1 is -

AMRAP 10Min
    8 Barbell Overhead Walking Lunge 40kg
    8 Shoulder To Overhead 40kg

The Lunges are unbroken,then the shoulder to overhead will have to be a push jerk,i know i can push press these easy but after a few rounds it will be a burn out,so push jerk from the start is the way to go.Will look at push jerk from behind the head also as i think that will be easy than re racking on the shoulders everytime.

2nd WOD is-
    AMRAP 7Min
    9 30kg Thrusters
    9 Pull Chin over Bar

Shoulders should be fairly cooked from WOD1 so that 30kg will get heavy! also im in luck as i dont butterfly Kip so my normal Kip Pull Up my whole head goes above the bar everytime.I have made it a point not to butterfly yet until i can do about 50 unbroken normal kip pull ups in a row.Too many times have i seen guys fatiguing doing butterflies and then they're kip is useless.Mikko Salo and Dan Bailey dont butterfly and are fine,but they are a whole other beast altogether!:D:D

20/7/11 - Crossfit North East England

800m Run Warm Up

Press
    67.5kg 4,4,3
    Front Squat BW - 75kg 9-6-3
    G.I. Jane - 100 Burpee Pull Ups For Time,Cap 10 Mins
    87 Reps

The Press was ok wanted 3 sets of 5 solid tonight and i didnt spend much time locked out overhead,need to pause for a second longer.
    Front Squats were easy for me,alot of guys struggled in the gym but my strength to weight ratio is pretty good.
    Ripped my hands on G.I. Jane,was not up for it at all,but happy enough with it,should be able to do it under 10mins really,im supposed to be a bodyweight guy!

Sleep:7 Hr
    Nutrition: Fair

Off to USA tomorrow,will be my day off and looking forward to training at one of the original crossfit gyms on Friday.

Had an email about work today and am torn at the moment whether to go back or not,will see....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ned10

Hey gavkm27, how's things where abouts are ya these days, ya still offshore or back in Ireland, if your back here get yourself down to us at www.crossfitwaterford.com and we'll look after ya!!!

Advertisement