Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Farmer..advice needed..

• 14-07-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.I know I should probably be asking these questions to an agricultural advisor but I taught Id try here first.

Im a young farmer under 25.I have been helping out on the home farm since I was a child but now I want to start farming in my own name.

I have an application form for a flock number.I have a neighbour that is going to rent me 20 acres of land with no entitlements,it has great sheds and is pretty well fenced.

I know I missed out on SFP for this year and that AEOS probably wont be back,but is there any other payment I can get.

I plan on stocking it with sheep.How many sheep will I be allowed to stock on 20 acres?

Should I consider buying entitlements?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

any help would be great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Hey guys.I know I should probably be asking these questions to an agricultural advisor but I taught Id try here first.

Im a young farmer under 25.I have been helping out on the home farm since I was a child but now I want to start farming in my own name.

I have an application form for a flock number.I have a neighbour that is going to rent me 20 acres of land with no entitlements,it has great sheds and is pretty well fenced.

I know I missed out on SFP for this year and that AEOS probably wont be back,but is there any other payment I can get.

I plan on stocking it with sheep.How many sheep will I be allowed to stock on 20 acres?

Should I consider buying entitlements?

You won't have an opportunity to buy entitlements until spring 2012 now as its too late for this year. Whether you should buy them or not will depend on a few things. 1. What price they are. 2. Have you got the money to buy them. 3. Will you make money out of buying them. You'll just have to wait and see what they're costing.

There really is no other payment that you can get at the current time.

You'll be allowed to stock as many sheep as the 20 acres will feed - so it depends on how good the ground is and how much fertilizer you spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

You can make an application to the national reserve, you should get some entitlements from that, but it takes ages to get an answer from them and there's no guarantee or indication as to what you'll get till the letter lands in the letterbox.

reilig wrote: »
    Will you make money out of buying them. You'll just have to wait and see what they're costing
    It will definitely be hard to make money on them.I was thinking if I broke even with them,it may be handy to have them post 2013.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    You can make an application to the national reserve, you should get some entitlements from that, but it takes ages to get an answer from them and there's no guarantee or indication as to what you'll get till the letter lands in the letterbox.
    Can I really apply to the National Reserve when I don't own the land,I am only renting it.Would I not have to apply for them in the landowner's name.

• Advertisement

Can I really apply to the National Reserve when I don't own the land,I am only renting it.Would I not have to apply for them in the landowner's name.

Sorry, you're right, I thought you could do it on a 5 year lease :(

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Sorry, you're right, I thought you could do it on a 5 year lease :(

well im not sure I haven't researched it or anything.I am just presuming.

No, I looked up the form there, you have to own the land.

Thanks for that.

after getting knocked back a bit,had agreed to rent the 20 acres off the neighbour but he has got wind of the whole entitlements scheme and wants to get SFP himself now.

Anyways,any advice on another route I could take to get a flock number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

hi, can you tell me what is the 'entitlement scheme' .i have 20 acres i want to stock (gradually) with cattle .

Advertisement