Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never officially unregistered from course? (fees)

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I did a course back in 2008 i dropped out mid october( i just stopped showin up for classes), but was not aware i had to un-register from the course . Im now starting a new course this september 2011 and i understand that i do not have to pay tuition fees if i dropped out of my previous course before october 31st.
    As i did no officially unregister for the course in 2008 does that mean i have to pay tuition fees for the course i plan to do in september?
    Could i possibly ask my previous college for an attendance record? would that be enough for my new college so i dont have to pay fees?

I tried calling the college but no one is answering :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

I did a course back in 2008 i dropped out mid october( i just stopped showin up for classes), but was not aware i had to un-register from the course . Im now starting a new course this september 2011 and i understand that i do not have to pay tuition fees if i dropped out of my previous course before october 31st.
    As i did no officially unregister for the course in 2008 does that mean i have to pay tuition fees for the course i plan to do in september?
    Could i possibly ask my previous college for an attendance record? would that be enough for my new college so i dont have to pay fees?

I tried calling the college but no one is answering :(

My friend was in a similar situation however as you never actually dropped out offiicially (theres paper work and usually a meeting with your Tutor) you will more than likely have to pay the fees for this year. Otherwise people could take courses willy nilly to see if they liked them and just drop out and get free fees the next year (I know you didn't do this just saying)

Hopefully it works out though, as I had another friend who went to UCD did a whole year failed 4 modules, dropped out and started a course in DIT is now in her 4th year and was never asked for the full fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

JohnG18 wrote: »
    My friend was in a similar situation however as you never actually dropped out offiicially (theres paper work and usually a meeting with your Tutor) you will more than likely have to pay the fees for this year. Otherwise people could take courses willy nilly to see if they liked them and just drop out and get free fees the next year (I know you didn't do this just saying)

Hopefully it works out though, as I had another friend who went to UCD did a whole year failed 4 modules, dropped out and started a course in DIT is now in her 4th year and was never asked for the full fees.

Thanks for the info, Do you know when a college tells you if you have to pay fees or not? Will they send me a letter as soon as i accept an offer from the cao? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

OP, do you still have to show your grades/CAO num when applying to other colleges? If not, how would the college know you attended? Some colleges, not all.

Naikon wrote: »
    OP, do you still have to show your grades/CAO num when applying to other colleges? If not, how would the college know you attended? Some colleges, not all.

hi, I applied through the CAO as i did a fetac level 5 course this year and was hoping to progess to third level college with the fetac qualification

hi, I applied through the CAO as i did a fetac level 5 course this year and was hoping to progess to third level college with the fetac qualification

You should be ok then. That will be used for entry. I know someone who got in that route. Done very well:)

Good luck. You can waive the fees on medical grounds I think. No other way apart from what JohnG18 described.

• Advertisement

JohnG18 wrote: »
    DIT is now in her 4th year and was never asked for the full fees.

Probably for medical reasons I think.

Naikon wrote: »
    You should be ok then. That will be used for entry. I know someone who got in that route. Done very well:)

Good luck. You can waive the fees on medical grounds I think. No other way apart from what JohnG18 described.

Thanks for all the info, do you know when i will be told by the college how much tuition fees i will have to pay(if any)
    Will it be when i accept my offer from the cao? will they send me a letter the day i accept the course?

Thanks!

Advertisement