Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wuthering heights

Options
  • 14-07-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

im not sure if this is the proper forum, but i have just finished reading wuthering heights and would like to talk to anyone who would like to share their thoughts on the novel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

From the beginning, the book oozes drama and it stays that way until the very end. For some reason, I've been under the impression that this is a love story. I guess in a dark, twisted way it is, but it focuses more on cruelty and revenge. None of the characters are very likeable. As a matter of fact, a majority of them are quite appalling. Instead of this making me dislike the book, I think it made me like it more. Strange, I know, but it did. Wuthering Heights kept me captivated and has earned it's spot as one of my favorite classics

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Love this book. It's been years since I read it but must read it again. It'll still have all my Leaving Cert notes in it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

Cottontail wrote: »
    Love this book. It's been years since I read it but must read it again. It'll still have all my Leaving Cert notes in it!! :D
    im doing it for my leaving cert also but i just fell in love with story that i had to finish it during the summer i couldnt put the book down!!

supprisingly i like heathcliff... i love the way he loves catherine so much nothing he can do would ever alter that in y eyes. i think that catherine was just naive she didnt have a clear understanding of the consiquences her actions would have and she didnt mean for to hurt heathcliff at all , she was only trying to get the best for him.

im just so in love with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I am a fan of the classic and read this book years ago when I was in my early teens and I hated it. The majority of the characters are appalling and have no redeeming qualities.

Over the years I have read it a couple of times more to see if it was just my youth which made me hate it and that being older and somewhat wiser my opinion would change but no.

I still hold to the opinion and hate the book. Ok hate might be too strong of a word but I still dislike it.

Catherine and Heathcliff have no redeeming qualities and the level of hate, abuse and vengence is just so inexcusable. The destruction they both cause to themselves, each other and everyone about them. I know one of the whole points of the story is that their love for each other is meant to be their redemption.

I know alot of people disagree with me and see Wuthering Heights as a classic tragic love story but I just cannot say it achieves what it ste out to do.

Now Jane Eyre I love and I will re-read every 2 to 3 years and is a beautiful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Of all the Classic novels I've read, and of all the Bronte sisters' works, Wuthering Heights is my absolute favourite. I first read it for the LC and was thrilled when it was also part of my degree curriculum. Since then I've reread it at least 1ce a year [actually in the middle of it now :))

I love the relationships between each character. I love Nelly with her interfering ways but get so frustrated with her too because she only ever wants to save her own skin and paint herself in the best light possible to Mr Lockwood.

I think of all the characters though, I think Hareton is the true hero. He had the same upbringing as Heathcliff and yet rose above it in a way Heathcliff never could. And he got the girl in the end :) Heathcliff never got Catherine and punished everyone responsible (except Catherine herself) and I just love how his spiral out of control as a result of that rejection fuels the entire plot.

It is tragic and the fact that every character had flaws (some irredeemable and others not so much) made it much more real. I love how the circumstances seem so crazy and as though they could never really happen.

I just can't really say enough how much I love this novel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hareton is my favourite character too. Loved him! I did the book for my LC and loved it from the beginning. What a shame Emily wrote no others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

One of those books I've read many times, just love it.
    I have always felt though that Heathcliff is actually Mr Earnshaw's illigitimate son ... thus making him Catherine's half brother. Am I the only one who thinks this? Maybe I have an overactive imagination but I've always felt there was a whiff of incest in the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I need to re-read mine as it's been ages. I think it's a very powerful story, the characters are very natural and really stay with you for years after reading it.

Callan57 wrote: »
    One of those books I've read many times, just love it.
    I have always felt though that Heathcliff is actually Mr Earnshaw's illigitimate son ... thus making him Catherine's half brother. Am I the only one who thinks this? Maybe I have an overactive imagination but I've always felt there was a whiff of incest in the story.

Have actually had heard a theory like that before. I'm not so sure if I'd believe it myself though..

I also read a theory (couldn't give the source) that said Heathcliff was actually an abandoned Irish baby from the West coast of Ireland. They said he was black skinned (they imagined more likely he was tanned, possibly from being with his parents working on the coast collecting seaweed or something all day) and he spoke in a tongue no one could understand.... Gaeilge perhaps???? I liked that theory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aaah I must re-read this, been too long. I never thought that Heathcliff and Catherine were supposed to be redeemed as characters by their love, I never leave that book feeling any way fond of them. Almost every character in it is frustratingly unlikeable or plain vile, sometimes I really wish they were real so I could give out to them. But the story itself and just the way all the horrible and not so horrible emotions and personality traits (obsession, selfishness, misanthropy, violence, cruelty, whole shebang!) are set out is what makes me love it. It's not a popularity contest like. If the characters were all lovely and reasonable then the story wouldn't happen!

• Advertisement

Aaah I must re-read this, been too long. I never thought that Heathcliff and Catherine were supposed to be redeemed as characters by their love, I never leave that book feeling any way fond of them. Almost every character in it is frustratingly unlikeable or plain vile, sometimes I really wish they were real so I could give out to them. But the story itself and just the way all the horrible and not so horrible emotions and personality traits (obsession, selfishness, misanthropy, violence, cruelty, whole shebang!) are set out is what makes me love it. It's not a popularity contest like. If the characters were all lovely and reasonable then the story wouldn't happen!

100% agree .. I would just love to give that Catherine a good shaking, she annoys the hell out of me.
    It is definitely one of those books where you don't actually like anyone in it but still love the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 alvinphee42

Heard it was a great book but never had the time to read it.

Your Belfast lad, Alvin Phee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cinnemaroll

libra02 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the classic and read this book years ago when I was in my early teens and I hated it. The majority of the characters are appalling and have no redeeming qualities.

Over the years I have read it a couple of times more to see if it was just my youth which made me hate it and that being older and somewhat wiser my opinion would change but no.

I still hold to the opinion and hate the book. Ok hate might be too strong of a word but I still dislike it.

I hear ya! My biggest literary dissapointment of the year. Heathcliff is an absolute sadist and never displays any trace of kindness or humility
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTerDvJoemMSDmOadaIIsrXbS8gYS4lKLKEvSFypslAUek9F9Cc
    not a romantic hero.
    The minor characters (lintons/hareton) are one-dimensional and unimaginative stereotypes. Catherine herself could do with a bit of fleshing out.
    And plot, what plot?
    gosh this book is criminally over-rated (In my humble opinion-I appriciate many are captivated by the gloomy, forlorn atmophere)
    I really struggled with this one and in the end finished it only so I would have earned the right to complain about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I hear ya! My biggest literary dissapointment of the year. Heathcliff is an absolute sadist and never displays any trace of kindness or humility
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTerDvJoemMSDmOadaIIsrXbS8gYS4lKLKEvSFypslAUek9F9Cc
    not a romantic hero.
    The minor characters (lintons/hareton) are one-dimensional and unimaginative stereotypes. Catherine herself could do with a bit of fleshing out.
    And plot, what plot?
    gosh this book is criminally over-rated (In my humble opinion-I appriciate many are captivated by the gloomy, forlorn atmophere)
    I really struggled with this one and in the end finished it only so I would have earned the right to complain about it!!
    I think that's the point. Women are supposed to think "Oh I can change him" No you can't, he's a dick. Also, I'm surprised how few people seem to think he's Mr Earnshaw's illegitimate son - I mean, the guy goes to Liverpool on business all the time, and then Earnshaw brings him home as an "adopted" son, and Mrs Earnshaw hates him straight away.

goose2005 wrote: »
    I think that's the point. Women are supposed to think "Oh I can change him" No you can't, he's a dick. Also, I'm surprised how few people seem to think he's Mr Earnshaw's illegitimate son - I mean, the guy goes to Liverpool on business all the time, and then Earnshaw brings him home as an "adopted" son, and Mrs Earnshaw hates him straight away.[/QUOTE]

Thank God someone agrees with me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Callan57 wrote: »
    It's a pretty common theory really. In fact in a couple of the film versions (the 2009 and 1970 versions, I think) some of the characters suggest it or hint at it when Mr Earnshaw first brings Heathcliff home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I read this about a year ago and couldn't understand the hype tbh. Moreso I couldn't understand how it was loved by so many women. There was some romance there but not much (though I have often been called an emotional retard) but what really puzzled me about a lot of womens facination with the book was that the women in it were a bunch of pathetic weaklings, not like any women I know.
    A stressfull situation leads them to faint anf be consumned by brain fever ffs.
    If it's the language and the imagery I would have thought that in my very limited library that Dickens caught it and described it better in Great Expectations.
    My opinions only :)

i think that heathcliff being mr earnshaws real son , is actually a sound theory, it does explain alot. but i simply refuse to belive it.
    i think catherine herself was simply naive, she only married linton because she wanted to help heathcliff in her own little way bey getting him away from her alcholic abusive brother.
    i could never hate heathcliff though, i know he done really bad things, but i blame it on the way he was treated as a child, which resulted in his obsession with revenge. but if he had married Catherine, instead of her marrying linton, would he even bother with revenge. i dont think so. All he wanted was catherine, and when he couldnt have her he lashed out and blamed everybody else.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181614/

A new version to be released this November!! :) And for the first time (in cinema/tv) they've cast a black man as Heathcliff... Thoughts anyone??

I am very excited. As much as I really like Tom Hardy, I didn't enjoy the adaptation...

But back to the novel (before a mod reminds me this is a literature thread and not a films one ;)) I do agree that the theory of HC being Mr Earnshaw's illegitimate son makes a lot of sense.... I personally don't want to believe it :)

I love the novel as an atypical romance novel :)

I would also love theories on how HC got the money for the 3 years he had run away.... Has anyone ever heard any?

Have actually had heard a theory like that before. I'm not so sure if I'd believe it myself though..

I also read a theory (couldn't give the source) that said Heathcliff was actually an abandoned Irish baby from the West coast of Ireland. They said he was black skinned (they imagined more likely he was tanned, possibly from being with his parents working on the coast collecting seaweed or something all day) and he spoke in a tongue no one could understand.... Gaeilge perhaps???? I liked that theory :)

id like to belive thyat theory, being irish and all,but it doesnt seem to fit right with me...

• Advertisement

lainey108 wrote: »
    id like to belive thyat theory, being irish and all,but it doesnt seem to fit right with me...

Yeah that's how I felt when I heard it :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181614/

A new version to be released this November!! :) And for the first time (in cinema/tv) they've cast a black man as Heathcliff... Thoughts anyone??

I am very excited. As much as I really like Tom Hardy, I didn't enjoy the adaptation...

But back to the novel (before a mod reminds me this is a literature thread and not a films one ;)) I do agree that the theory of HC being Mr Earnshaw's illegitimate son makes a lot of sense.... I personally don't want to believe it :)

I love the novel as an atypical romance novel :)

I would also love theories on how HC got the money for the 3 years he had run away.... Has anyone ever heard any?

a black heathcliff?? im not being racisit or anything, but i thought heathcliff was meant to be a gypsy, for me it doesnt fit well with the setting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

James-Howson-007.jpg

James Howson, Heathliff in the latest remake.

That's not how I'd imagine Heathcliff to be at all. I think it's the hair, Heathcliff's hair needs to be longish and unruly and not...that. :P No gripes with skin colour or anything, though it's certainly not what I'd have expected, in the least racist way possible. Gah, hate having to make everything sound so PC but y'know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yeah, I know what you mean. In my head his hair is dark, yes, but long-ish and uncared-for - not afro.

Just to quote Bronte: "[Heathcliff] is a dark-skinned gipsy in aspect, in dress and manners a gentleman...".
    I think it's no big stretch to cast a black man in that role. And from what others are saying above, if Heathcliff could be considered to be Mr Earnshaw's son, then a black man, IMO, that is not too black [if you understand what I mean] should fit alright.

Although it will be interesting to see how they do his hair.... He has a tighter hair cut in pics I've found online which suits him better than the pic above...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Just to quote Bronte: "[Heathcliff] is a dark-skinned gipsy in aspect, in dress and manners a gentleman...".
    I think it's no big stretch to cast a black man in that role. And from what others are saying above, if Heathcliff could be considered to be Mr Earnshaw's son, then a black man, IMO, that is not too black [if you understand what I mean] should fit alright.

I suppose if they straighten his hair it's OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dr. Astronaut

I really agree that the characters are fairly irredeemable. I know that's meant to be the point - that the only thing about them that's any good is their love - but I must have missed something, cause I never felt that there was enough indication of love. I'm an avid reader and was disappointed by this classic, but I suppose I may have read it too fast. Do you think I should give it another chance and take my time with it, really try to sink into the story? Sometimes I wonder if it's worth reading classics just because they've been given that designation - there are so many amazing non-classic novels, it almost seems a waste of time to read something I'm not enjoying, just because it's on someone's list of "must-reads". Does anyone else feel that way?

i'm a bigger fan of classic novels - having said that, there are some great modern(ish) novels I've read from many genres that I love - but I don't believe in reading stuff just because it's on a must read list. I look at the lists, maybe take a few of the books and read the back or summaries of the books and see if it's something i'd be interested in. That's all anyone can really ask of you right? I hate it when people tell you you have to read this and really try to force the book on you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dr. Astronaut

I completely agree. Lists of must-reads are great as suggestions, but I find I have to read a few pages to see if the story really takes me. There are billions of books out there, and it's hard enough to choose one without the torture of forcing myself to read a book I'm hating. I recently realized that it's okay to just stop reading a book if you're not enjoying it... what a novel concept (no pun intended)!!
    I recently read a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I would recommend it to any book-lover. I expect to see it on many must-read lists...

• Advertisement

I recently read a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I would recommend it to any book-lover. I expect to see it on many must-read lists...

Read this on my travels last year! absolutely loved it and read the prequel too! It is absolutely an excellent novel and deserves to be on must-read lists :)

Advertisement