Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Sound Engineer - Hire Costs in Dublin - Suggestions

Options
  • 14-07-2011 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

(To Moderators - If I placed this thread in wrong place in this forum please move it to the right section - really need some feedback on this one - thanks.)

Hi, I would be grateful for some information and suggestions..

Info needed - How mutch cost to hire a Live Sound Engineer in Dublin???
    Equipmant hire cost thats separate subject..

Suggestions needed - Lets say that you could rent equipment at a good price,
    now keeping things realistic if you need a sound engineer for your event what money could you offer to him?

- I have a chance to work for some pa company in Dublin - I'm not up to date with prices.. and I would like to keep things real..

They have some nice price deals for a gear, I rented from them gear few times and I know that they are ok.
    There will be option to hire gear with sound engineer and price for my service is up to me - but I need to decide what to put on the website..
    - so main thing for me is to make the price which people will be able to pay.

I understand that there are events where is hard to find money to rent even gear..but there are also events where is some extra budget..

For all info, advices and suggestions thank you in advance !!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blaynehereboi

Well to put in a simple form, it would completely depend on the amount the band were getting and your persnoal relationship with the band. Like if the band was getting, lets say a €100 for arguments sake. If it was a one off thing, then you probably want €30-€40 of that. If you were mates with the band, your obviously not going to rip them off so it would be €20 or so quid, but if it was a complete work related job, as in no ties but you knew for definite you were gonna get more work with them then you give it to them at €25 or so bob because you would be keeping them sweet and you would make more money that way in the long run.

After that, the best advice is, always make a point of being there before your meant to be by about half an hour or so. It'll give you extra time to sort out ny problems that may arise and you'll always be early. Dont waste time getting gear in or out, always bring more mics and cables than you'll need. Bands depending on their attitudes and fame can be drama queens so dont be afraid to voice your opinions, be stern and get your point across, Act confident, professional and don't let them near your desk because they sumtimes think they know what they are at and actualli dont have a cloo.

Believe me, in this kind of business its about who you know and not what you know. If you do a good job, word of mouth will spread a lot more than advertising, depending on your ability. Treat every gig, from a pub to a massive venue the same. You'll Go far! ;)

Well hope that was of some use, nytin else just mail me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Depends really on a few factors, 1 does the sound engineer have to bring a pa rig 2 how far is the travel to and from the gig and 3 how many hours will he or she be working for, the way i work it is €50 for the pa hire, includes mics leads etc etc, travel i always charge €50 for petrol and all that jazz and then €10 for every hour that I have to work. So if its a eight hour night your paying €180 for a rig, equipment and the engineer for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Depends really on a few factors, 1 does the sound engineer have to bring a pa rig 2 how far is the travel to and from the gig and 3 how many hours will he or she be working for, the way i work it is €50 for the pa hire, includes mics leads etc etc, travel i always charge €50 for petrol and all that jazz and then €10 for every hour that I have to work. So if its a eight hour night your paying €180 for a rig, equipment and the engineer for the night.
    Would band size matter out of interest? Like working for an 8 piece band would you charge more than for a 2 piece or whatever. Or would the extra time needed to soundcheck an 8 piece just mean an extra hour but nothing else on top. Not in an 8 piece or anything, just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SpudBass1

Nah it would be a fixed rate really. It would be the bands problem if there was 8 memebers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

8 members in a band would just mean that the band will have to pay less per person for a sound engineer might take a extra hour to set up and sound check, and if they need a bigger system might cost between 30-40 extra but it'd be around the 180-230 mark for that kinda stuff a two piece acoustic act would cost the band more because their splitting the engineer fee two ways though, if that makes sense, like the eight piece would be 180 divided by 8 where as the two piece would be 180 divided by 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement