Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant housing units = Social housing???

• 14-07-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am currently researching for my postgraduate thesis. I am looking at the feasibility of the use of vacant residential units as social housing units. This would only apply to urban areas where there is quality services and infrastructure to sustain social housing.

I'm using Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown as my case study.

Do you think it is a good idea? Where can I find social housing waiting list numbers? Would the social mix work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Do you mean acquire privately owned residential units and open them up to social housing? It would never happen. Its just like why companies rather destroy unsold stock than give it away free. There is no benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

Well the proposal is called the Social Housing Leasing Initiative. Under this scheme, landlords of vacant units can enter a contract with the Local Authority or an approved housing body whereby they manage the tenancy of the properties for 10-15yrs i.e. they place social tenants in them. In return the landlord is guaranteed continuous occupation and receives 90% of the market rent.

It's an interesting proposal which is getting under way. You think it will be sustainable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

2can wrote: »
    Well the proposal is called the Social Housing Leasing Initiative. Under this scheme, landlords of vacant units can enter a contract with the Local Authority or an approved housing body whereby they manage the tenancy of the properties for 10-15yrs i.e. they place social tenants in them. In return the landlord is guaranteed continuous occupation and receives 90% of the market rent.

It's an interesting proposal which is getting under way. You think it will be sustainable?

It won't work for several reasons. If the entire development is leased to the Local Authority it will immediately become stigmatised as a 'council estate'. The poor track history of vetting of potential tenants by the county councils is a sure fire way of creating problems in the area.

If it is only some units let to the council and the others are let privately you can be guaranteed the private residents will be pissed off. As unpolitically correct as it sounds people renting privately don't want to be living next door to social housing. Ireland is not the same as the Netherlands for example where living in a council house is very common. Unfortunately social housing carries a stigma in Ireland and people simply will not want to live next door. I even think they'd prefer vacant housing in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It won't work for several reasons.... Unfortunately social housing carries a stigma in Ireland and people simply will not want to live next door. I even think they'd prefer vacant housing in many cases.

You'd better tell all the many landlords and tenants currently availing of the Rental Accomodation Scheme that it is not working so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

This is already in action all over the country, jeez did you do any research for your thesis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You'd better tell all the many landlords and tenants currently availing of the Rental Accomodation Scheme that it is not working so.

I'm actually well aware of this scheme but it isn't quite the same as what the OP was discussing as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Talk to Professor Rob Kitchin, Director of NIRSA

Went to this talk
    http://www.architecturefoundation.ie/2011/03/29/talk-mapping-vacant-spaces/

Talked to rob about vacant social housing, he knows a lot about that and Nama in relation to property

he's made a website if you want find it mapping vacant housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'm actually well aware of this scheme but it isn't quite the same as what the OP was discussing as far as I can see.

I don't see any difference between the RAS scheme and what the OP has suggested. What differences do you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

So did people see the news last night about the Beacon Quarter selling units to Cluid Housing Association:

'There are 58 apartments in the new Clúid project: 34 of these will be allocated to social housing, and the remaining 24 will be rented through the private rental market. All apartments were purchased through the Receiver, appointed by NAMA, at a total of €10.3 million, an average cost of €177,500 per unit'.

I'm sure the current residence who are up to their tits in negative equity will be delighted in welcoming their new social tenant neighbours.

Do you think this tenure mix will work?
    What will happen the social tenants if market conditions improve in a few years and Cluid decide to sell the apartments at market value?

Advertisement