Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrict Network access

Options
  • 15-07-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am looking for a way to have give a computer on my network full access to the internet but in a way that it is impossible for it to communicate with other computers on the network.

Is this possible, if so, how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Wireless? Some routers support a guest SSID that will do exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Zab wrote: »
    Wireless? Some routers support a guest SSID that will do exactly what you want.

I tried that on my vodafone router before and then it seemed to mess up my wireless entirely until I reset it again.

Well, if it has the option then that's exactly what you're looking for so try it out again. It may also have to option to block wireless bridging or similar. This would stop wireless clients talking to each other. This may not work for you as you might need wireless-to-wireless traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Are you talking about a residential or commercial setup?

Well, if it has the option then that's exactly what you're looking for so try it out again. It may also have to option to block wireless bridging or similar. This would stop wireless clients talking to each other. This may not work for you as you might need wireless-to-wireless traffic.

Actually I tried again and it does work (I didn't realise that it would use the default password). It does indeed work the way I need it to. Do you know of an alternative with a wired connection?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Are you talking about a residential or commercial setup?

Residential.

• Advertisement

See if your device supports VLANs

See if your device supports VLANs

My router does not support VLANs, it is a vodafone Huawei HG556a. Can I make a separate network using subnetting? Would the two networks be able to see each other by default? Can it be achieved with one router?

Advertisement