Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in St Kilda.. Apartments seem to good too be true?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Reading from theads I've heard a few people claim that in Melbourne nearly every apartment you will view will be unfurnished.. i.e. you will have to buy all the furniture yourself. Now for someone who might not want to stay in Melbourne longer than a year this seems a bit of a waste of money!

However on the likes of RealEstate.com.au or MyHome.com.au alot the apartments look fully furnished to me.. and frankly look really nice.. Maybe a little to nice to be honest! I suppose living in London for a summer made me a bit skeptical on the whole issue of renting!

Quick example http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-st+kilda-405306276

So are they what they seem or are the apartments gutted before new tenants arrive or what?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

So are they what they seem or are the apartments gutted before new tenants arrive or what?
    Bingo!

you can find furnished places on gumtree - but you'll pay more for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

well the estate agent usually takes photos when the current tennant is still in it, or they use old photos when the place is all decked out nice. (looks more appealing with nice stuff it it)

99% of rental properties in Oz are unfurnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Yeah unfurnished houses are the usual.

That said, you could wait until hard rubbish time and furnish your place from that. Ive been informed thats against the law though.

You could prob pick up furnishing on Gumtree pretty handy regardless.

Our place on Chapel Street was unfurnished but the landlord provided beds, TV, Wireless and we bought the sofa's kitchen stuff and everything else. He's going to buy it all off us when we leave too.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Mr Wahlberg21, are you looking at renting on your own or moving into share place. I found, generally, that share places are mostly furnished. Maybe just need bedroom stuff.

If youre renting a place on your own, the yep, youre probably going to have furnish it! Lots of salvo type shops, ikea. So you could probably do it pretty cheap and then sell on in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

mandrake04 wrote: »
    well the estate agent usually takes photos when the current tennant is still in it, or they use old photos when the place is all decked out nice. (looks more appealing with nice stuff it it)

99% of rental properties in Oz are unfurnished.

Really? On real Estate.com.au if you tick the 'furnished' box there seems to be plenty of options coming up.. However real estate agents are a sneaky lot so their definition of furnished might be different to mine i'm guessing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

unfurnished is definitely the usual, but around tourist traps there is often short let furnished holiday apartments.

Advertisement