Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Training Help

• 15-07-2011 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I have a dog (border collie) hes about 3 perhaps. He was a stray so Im not entirely sure.

Im trying to teach him to sit and to stay.

He obeys every single command given without fail. He learned these "tricks" in a matter of days. It was very easy, hes a very smart dog and if I didnt know any better I'd say he enjoys learning new tricks and doing them.

However when we go outside, I might aswell be speaking a different language. He wont come when I call him. He wont sit, even if I try and force him to sit. And aswell, he snaps the food from my hand when we are outside. But inside he wouldnt dream of snapping.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lex123

outside your in his domain but inside the house he is in yours and you are the master,you could try making him obey you in your garden if you have 1,it will take a couple of days but he will get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would try using some high value treats and a long line/field leash (or even make one with a lenth of washing line type rope )outside and do some practice with all the distractions around. I did this with my dog and it's worked really really well. If he's not coming back you can rein him back in and if he makes a run for it when he's supposed to be staying again the lead is attached so you can grab/stand on it. If you do use one tie some knots or make some loops along the length of it so it doesn't slip out of your hand/from under your foot if runs.

Edit - for grabbing the treats hold it up high and slowly lower it down - if he moves/snaps towards it lift it back up again and repeat until he calmly takes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

Sounds like good advice tk123. I'll see about putting him on the long lead tomorrow and maybe one or two sausages broke up nice and small. See will that do anything for him.

Also are you sure about the snapping thing? I always heard that putting food down and then pulling away is what causes dogs to snap in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

haha I have one of them too. In training we were told to start slowly and to set the dog up for success. So if you have him in a big park with LOADS of things going on, he's going to find it very hard to concentrate on you. Which means don't give him commands unless you're sure he's going to listen.

Example if you're calling him, call his name, get his attention, show him the treat and only when he's nearly back at you use you're "come here" command. Don't bother shouting it at him while he's ignoring you because it just wont work.

I found for snappy dogs you can do as advised above, or hold the treat in a closed fist and allow them to smell it. only when they stop nosing, and trying to get it, give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Arthur. wrote: »
    I always heard that putting food down and then pulling away is what causes dogs to snap in the first place.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly :p You have a treat in your closed fist and hold it up high then slowly lower it down - if he goes to sniff or jump at your hand you slowly lower it back up. Once you can lower your hand all the way down without him sniffing/jumping up at your hand he gets the treat. It works - trust me - my dog is like pacman some times lol :pac: It's also good for getting them to focus on you so ignore everything around them eg in the park and concentrate on you and the tasty treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Had a similar problem with an english setter, very obedient indoors would sit heel stay etc but as soon as we got outside and off the lead she was gone and would not return when I called her!! I got a 30 foot lead online and a check chain from local petstore. Out to the field I'd let her run free holding end of leash I'd give the command "Come" no responce from the dog and I'd quickly start to reel in the lead trying to keep tension up!! When she got in close I'd grab her and make her sit! I'd wait a few seconds then I'd give loads of praise and jump around with her getting her very excited (as reward!) I kept repeating this until eventually she got the idea and now a quick call and she gallops back to me sits right infront and waits to be smothered with praise!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you're using a long-line (20+ foot long, and not an extending lead), please don't use a check/choke chain, or indeed any collar at all. A dog on a long-line must be attached to the long-line via a good, comfortable harness.
    The nature of using the long-line, and it is a very effective way to teach a good recall, means that the dog may from time to time come to a sudden stop. If the long-line is attached to the collar, this will really hurt the dog. If it is attached to a choke chain, it could potentially kill the dog. A good harness will absorb the impact of a sudden stop and not harm the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

Looks as though I got the snapping under control. I cupped the treat in my hand so he could see it and smell it, but was just slightly out of reach for him.

But Im still at square one with him not listening. I had him on of those long extandable leads and he wouldnt pay me the slightest bit of attention... even with the sausages.

Maybe Im wrong about this but I think the problem is even though he gets out pretty much every day for a long walk, when we are outside hes just so excited he doesnt care about the treats. He has to sniff every stone we pass, every flower, every pole and post. It would be like telling a child on christmas morning, dont bother with those presents- eat this chocolate sweet instead..!

Then again, this is still early days. Maybe Im expecting too much from the first day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arthur. wrote: »
    Looks as though I got the snapping under control. I cupped the treat in my hand so he could see it and smell it, but was just slightly out of reach for him.

But Im still at square one with him not listening. I had him on of those long extandable leads and he wouldnt pay me the slightest bit of attention... even with the sausages.

Maybe Im wrong about this but I think the problem is even though he gets out pretty much every day for a long walk, when we are outside hes just so excited he doesnt care about the treats. He has to sniff every stone we pass, every flower, every pole and post. It would be like telling a child on christmas morning, dont bother with those presents- eat this chocolate sweet instead..!

Then again, this is still early days. Maybe Im expecting too much from the first day.

that's it i think, maybe try some training near the end of the walk when the dog is tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cirque Du Freak

My dog doesn't like those dogs treats, all she'll eat is chicken and dog food occasionally but its even hard to get her to eat these. She's really hard to bring her on walks as she drags you along while also choking herself, she doesn't slow down or stop when you want her to she'll just run across the road even if i'm shouting at her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

My dog doesn't like those dogs treats, all she'll eat is chicken and dog food occasionally but its even hard to get her to eat these. She's really hard to bring her on walks as she drags you along while also choking herself, she doesn't slow down or stop when you want her to she'll just run across the road even if i'm shouting at her.

Exactly the same with our Lab, she is as good as gold, walking nice in the back garden and as soon as she's outside I end up with one arm longer than the other! Have you tried turning and walking the other way when she pulls? Our walks take 2 or 3 times longer (and the neighbours may actually think I'm insane walking up and back constantly) but I can really see the difference already, not choking herself nearly as much now :) Also if chicken isn't working, how bout hotdog pieces? They smell great and are like crack for dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mathew11

Might be it is finding it difficult to understand the language. It will get used to it in some days. For better reasons it is recommended to train the dogs with experts , they will be having unique methods to make the dog the owners pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 makescents

First things first....dogs do not understand english or french or swahili. The only language they know is canine language. They associate a cue (verbal, hand signal) with a particular behaviour.
    Please do not use a long line unless it is fitted correctly to a harness, as when the dog runs off, you will either have your arm dislocated from your shoulder, get your hand very badly hurt and it can do serious damage to the dogs neck when he comes to a sudden halt.
    There are multiple reasons why the dog wont listen to you outside and wont come back. The main reason is because human frustration will enevitably lead to the dog being put back on lead when you do catch him. Try this first in the house, then in the garden then in the field/park. Put the dog on lead and let him have a sniff around, call him and when he comes to you give a nice tasty treat then ignore him and let him sniff around again. Continue this untill every time you call him he comes to you, then take it to the garden doing the same and once hes got it take it to the field/park. This technique is based on Granma's Law or The Premack Principle (eat your greens and you can have ice cream for desert). The act of the dog coming to you when called is a release for the dog to go and play again. If you scream, shout and chase then put the dog back on lead he will associate the recall (screaming, shouting and chasing) with playtime is over, back to the boring house.
    If the dog is pulling on the lead, stop, dont yank the lead but get the dogs attention and ask him to come to you (use a treat or toy if necessary). Once the lead is loose move off again and repeat the exercise. Again the dog will quickly learn that if he pulls the walking stops. The dog is pulling usually because it knows that it is going to the park or field (much more exciting than the house) and basically just wants to get there FAST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The OP appears to be site banned so won't be coming back to this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement