Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rendering or roughcasting/pebbledashing

• 15-07-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Pebble dashing and rendering,
    DIY possible?
    What are the different coats called and whats in them? sand, cement? is soft sand ok if sand is a component?
    is the material used to make each coat the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If you're handy and you don't overstretch yourself, then rendering can be OK. If you are roughcasting/wet dashing, you apply a scratch coat but keep it pretty even. Then when it's dry (not just hard) you can cast the well mixed dash. Not beyond the scope of a good handyman. Dry/pebble dashing? Don't try it. A lot of plasterers are not the best at it so an amateur would make a complete dog's b******s of it.
    Background scratch 3:1 with plenty of water-proofer or soak the scratch before applying the Butter Coat of 4:1. You cast the stones immediately. You've got to move fast. A two man job at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

whats the mix for rendering?
    Is it possible to use soft sand (for mortar) instead of plastering sand? (sharp sand??) I have a bit of soft sand left,

what do you mean by background scratch?

For rendering I was told to scud by flicking on a mix for holding the next layer (scratch coat?) to scratch it, then apply a final coat smooth wet coat,
    but I thought I'd check here for some details as I am unsure of the mix components and ratios

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

i'd agree with spread - you might get away with bringing small areas to a float/napped finish but any form of dashing is not for the DIY-er....
    And, I have seen some relatively simple DIY plastering jobs that look like they have been finished with the back of a shovel.
    Unlike bad, uneven blockwork for example, bad plastering is not something that can easily be rectified/covered and it may end up costing you more in the long run if you are not 100% sure of your capabilities to bring the job to an acceptable finish.

For Rendering:-
    Scudding coat 2:1 sand:cement
    Scratch coat 3/4:1 sand cement
    Finish coat 10:2:1 sand:cement:lime (5:1 sand:cement)

Ensure each coat is not as strong as the previous coat.

I'd never use anything other than plastering sand.

Good luck!!! :)

thanks for the info, its for a shed, so I might try to render the more inaccessible/side areas that a plasterer might not want to do or that would prolong the job/increase cost.
    I think I will price someone to do the pebbledashing/rough casting on the front face of the shed (opposite the kitchen)
    (actually after googling this, I'm not really sure if the name is meant to be pebbledashing or actually rough casting anymore, as it mostly seems to be called roughcastring, I'd always called that finish pebbledashing :confused:)

Any ideas on what it might cost per square metre? for render or pebbledashing

cheers

what part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement

Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

definately wouldnt let any di y er plaster. if its an ordinary sized shed most plasters will scratch in a day and wet dash on another one. so two days labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

this isnt a job for your average diyer and for a shed,this is a job for a professional/competant plasterer,as theres alot to do and also of skill involved too.Angle beads,then reveals for doors and windows too.Alot of time and skill needed to do it right and get it looking right too.

Trust me on this.

Any idea how much that would be?

Merch wrote: »
    Any idea how much that would be?

Depends on garage/shed size,whether you want coloured or plain render/dashing and exactly what you want it to look like (smooth render finish or rough dash finish).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

The price for plastering varies a lot on the standard of work you want and the cost has if anything increased because now people are insisting on proper jobs been done. For example the top lime plasterers are getting 120euros a meter and are all booked out. The Ryanair one coat cowboys are mostly gone home or out of business. It is only a shed but it is a shed you will have to look at for the rest of your life so I suggest you get a reputable plasterer to do the job.

I'm looking for an approximate figure per sq metre

for a rendered finish and a pebble dashed finish.

You could pay anything from 5 or 6 euro a meter to 15/16 euro a meter, depending on individual circumstances.

Practically impossible to put a price on a job without viewing it - depends on reveals, bands, plinths, quoins, blockwork, access, site conditions etc. etc. etc...

Let me know if you want a price - I am an experienced plasterer based in County Kildare.

Jesus??? There must be a famine in Kildare LoL

Ok, thanks
    The blockwork is just completed, i have a bit of tidying up to do now thats done as the garden is small, stuff was stored near the front of the blockwork as that area wasnt needed, now need to move stuff (where possible) around so can make the front of the blocks as accessible as possible.

?

To get a reasonable job done you are looking at about 40 Euros a meter.

To get a reasonable job done you are looking at about 40 Euros a meter.

Sorry Brendan but that is just totally wrong. Completely wrong.

One example - I dashed 1700 square meters of a new stables in 2008 for €14/sq m, which included two scratch coats as per engineers spec. Granted - no windows or reveals - we were working between stopbeads and expansion joints, but €14/m2 let me pay myself, two other plasterers and a labourer for the duration of the job, so €40/m2 is totally over the top. Totally.

If you can get plastering for 40/m, take it and i'll do the work for you for twenty - LOL. No way on earth €40/m2 - Not a hope.....

Time will tell alproctor
    3 plasterers to one labourer for dashing would not be my cup of tea but if you have a 4 man crew you have a 4 man crew.
    As for working for me?. A few more posts will tell us how experienced you really are.

Time will tell alproctor
    3 plasterers to one labourer for dashing would not be my cup of tea but if you have a 4 man crew you have a 4 man crew.
    As for working for me?. A few more posts will tell us how experienced you really are.

Cup of tea or not, your rates of 40/m2 are complete bull. My crew is dictated by the job. That particular job called for a 3+1 because main contractor support services allowed for it, not that i should have to explain myself to you - and the number of posts received will not tell anyone how experienced I am - the quality of my work will. End of story.

• Advertisement

I would never ask one man to attend 3 plasterers regardless of who allowed for it and no one that I know that served their time would either. Each post is telling me just how experienced you are.

My job is just for a shed so, I'll measure up my sq metres.
    No quoins (if that is a stone corner?) just reveals around windows (2) and a door,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

I would never ask one man to attend 3 plasterers regardless of who allowed for it and no one that I know that served their time would either. Each post is telling me just how experienced you are.
    when i was doing my apprenticeship i was often labouring for 3 plasterers

€40 per sq metre, what year are you living in?

guil wrote: »
    when i was doing my apprenticeship i was often labouring for 3 plasterers

€40 per sq metre, what year are you living in?

What were you ??. An apprentice, A labourer, or an Apprentice labourer.
    What are you working at now btw

What were you ??. An apprentice, A labourer, or an Apprentice labourer.
    What are you working at now btw

Brendan,what has it got to do with you,what the chap is working at now???

What has it got to do with this thread even?????

Its none of your business and nothing to do with this thread,so stop stirring.

Paddy. I am willing to bet 100 euros with you that this chap is not now earning a living plastering. Are you willing to accept this bet????.

Paddy. I am willing to bet 100 euros with you that this chap is not now earning a living plastering. Are you willing to accept this bet????.

WTF has any of this got to do with this thread????

All you are intent on doing is stirring and nothing more.

Cop on Brendan,seriously,cop on.

Paddy
    The Op asked for a sq meter price to get his shed plastered. Alproctor came in and said the price was between 5 and 16 E a sq meter which is ridiculously low and his pal is in supporting him. I intend to show that these people are cowboys that are not even able to price a job let alone do it properly. People come on these forums for proper advice and I feel obliged to correct false or misleading statements when they appear. To scud, scratch twice and pebble dash can be done for 5 euros a meter and you attack me. ???????????

Paddy
    The Op asked for a sq meter price to get his shed plastered. Alproctor came in and said the price was between 5 and 16 E a sq meter which is ridiculously low and his pal is in supporting him. I intend to show that these people are cowboys that are not even able to price a job let alone do it properly. People come on these forums for proper advice and I feel obliged to correct false or misleading statements when they appear. To scud, scratch twice and pebble dash can be done for 5 euros a meter and you attack me. ???????????

No-one is attacking you Brendan,I replied to you,as you are the one who is trying to stir (going off topic with an agenda) and are now mocking others.(purposely now too)

Now you are calling other members cowboys.

I dont see the need for this sort of carry on here.

Im bowing out of this now.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    No-one is attacking you Brendan,I replied to you,as you are the one who is trying to stir (going off topic with an agenda) and are now mocking others.(purposely now too)

Now you are calling other members cowboys.

I dont see the need for this sort of carry on here.

Im bowing out of this now.

I'm joining you......

Merch - good luck with job. Read entire thread, I believe you can tell good advice from bad. Hope all works out well for ya!

Advertisement