Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life of Agony singer comes out as transgender!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

scudzilla wrote: »

HIM
    no no no, Life of Agony!

though you might be right, I've had my suspicions about Ville Valo too.

Kinda makes sense tbh. Wish her the best of luck!

I'm actually wondering, why does it make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Kinda makes sense tbh. Wish her the best of luck![/QUOTE
    wow! will she continue to pursue a career in metal though, or does this mean the end?

• Advertisement

(His) Her lyrics, the high pitch. Keith always had an amazing original voice.

Maybe I should have said have said, I'm not surprised instead of it making sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have 2 of his solo albums, and both are very very good in my opinion. Very different to LOA, have hints of STP at their heavier in there, and I recall he played a few gigs in drag a few years back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Typo in thread title fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

That's incredible, it's just a shame that her voice will be affected to such an extent that Life of Agony will have to split up, it's a real pity because I'd like for the band to continue....also surprised so many of the metal community are taking this so well

Still, let us remember the good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Why? She's not the first or last LGBT person in the metal scene. Honestly I think we are a way more tolerant bunch than others would like to give us credit for. Not saying we are perfect but no better or worse than any other group

Sure there might be the odd knobhead but no different than to when Rob Halford came out the vast majority wont care. They might make the odd joke but nothing more than that.

true that, I always find the metal/(proper)rock scene to be very inclusive.

Always loved this song:

Another band Beavis and Butthead introduced me too!

Actually, having seen this, it makes a hell of a lot of sense:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have been following Keith's transformation via twitter and his website for the past year. The guy seemed really depressed and unhinged for a while last year but since his appearance began to change it seemed as though his mood lifted entirely. I have seen him live in the Netherlands and he portrayed the ultimate cock rocker! I never thought there was this side to him! Anyway fair play to her. I hope she'll be a happier person than Keith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Talk about shocking! Keith Caputo, frontman of legendary Brooklyn metal act Life Of Agony is on his way to being a frontwoman! The band will be playing what looks to be their final shows this weekend. There are many hints to his transition on his Twitter page, with one tweet spelling it out for everybody saying "M2F transexuals like me are the women who give up male privilege for femininity! Threaten the patriarchy!" Also, Caputo's personal website uses the pronoun "her."

While I am shocked, I also have to applaud Caputo for her bravery in going through with (planning) a massive procedure such as this, especially being the public figure that she is. Obviously, this isn't something she decided to do overnight and gave a lot of thought to. And while metalheads usually get sterotyped as immensely homophobic, there is a large sect that believes in the "do whatever makes you happy" motto of which Metal Injection fully subscribes to.
    We do? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

We do? :confused:

They're probably talking about the Pantera T Shirt, Doc Marten wearing, Skinhead attired, Nazi supporting Metal fan who has, from time to time, reared their ugly head for the face of a media in order to tarnish the unfortunate reputation of a community tightly nit

for me the metal heads have been nothing but amazingly cool towards me and extremely supportive of my own transition. I don't run into much outright homophobia or transphobia in the Irish metal scene, and I've never had any issues with coming out to a fellow metal head, they've always been not just supportive but encouraging, and that's something absolutely wonderful.

this is an article I wrote about being transgender and being into rock and metal, and how those two things really work together.

it might surprise some of you to know, there's quite a few transgender people playing in metal bands, and quite a few transgender metal fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Links234 wrote: »
    for me the metal heads have been nothing but amazingly cool towards me and extremely supportive of my own transition. I don't run into much outright homophobia or transphobia in the Irish metal scene, and I've never had any issues with coming out to a fellow metal head, they've always been not just supportive but encouraging, and that's something absolutely wonderful.

this is an article I wrote about being transgender and being into rock and metal, and how those two things really work together.

it might surprise some of you to know, there's quite a few transgender people playing in metal bands, and quite a few transgender metal fans :)

See: Marissa Martinez of Cretin. Better band than LOA too.

Morf wrote: »
    See: Marissa Martinez of Cretin. Better band than LOA too.

I've talked to Marissa before, and she is so awesome! Though musically, I'd be more into LOA, Cretin are a bit too heavy for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Fair feckin play.

Wasn't the biggest fan of LoA but I remember hearing "Through & through" all those years ago and being blown away by that voice.

• Advertisement

in case anyone's worried about her not being able to rock any more, check this out and put your fears to rest! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Life Of Agony will and always will be one of the best bands ever. Rock on dudette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I remember hearing a savage version of Tangerine, went to check out their stuff and they reminded me a lot of social distorion and alice in chains.
    Great band that i completely forgot about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I only know of Life of Agony through this Simple Minds cover:

and Keith Caputo was "that guy who did guest vocals with Within Temptation"

Has there been a definitive statement from Life of Agony on future plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

First time I heard and liked LoA was on a compilation (Gigantour). Really love this song:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you want some of Keith's solo stuff:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

There must have been some seriously uncomfortable band meetings leading up to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Was going to start a new thread but...well I'm here now anyways!

So new music from LOA, took a few listens to get into it but I'm loving it and her voice is on point!

Had a ticket to see them in Copenhagen before Christmas but couldn't make it in the end, hopefully this year!!

http://www.kerrang.com/47160/life-agony-premiere-new-song-place-theres-no-pain/

Advertisement