Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Play-pen: conorstuff

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Now, at long last, it's time for our very own Conorstuff to step into the Playpen. Conor is a complex sort of guy, who enjoys taking part in all areas of C&H life. From posting Radiohead songs in Soundtrack To Your Angst, to debating the finer points of programming in The Geniuses' Thread, Conor is never far from the action (even if he's just lurking about).

Some might say that Conor is:

text58.gif

Which is of course the maths translation of: Conor is a pretty cool guy, eh mathses and doesn't afraid of anything.

PS. I know the other thread isn't locked yet, but due to time differences, if I waited until I had time tomorrow it would be 9pm in Ireland and a whole day of interrogating Conor would be gone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

This is my first time posting in a play-pen so sorry if my questions are rubbish..! :o

-What should we call our new C+H puppy?
    -How do you like your eggs in the morning?
    -Who's your favourite mod?
    -Where's the furthest from home you've been?
    -How did you end up in C+H?

God, they're terrible! :rolleyes: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Alright Dave.

What's your favourite word / biscuit / dictator / moustachioed historical figure?

If you could make one species from animals extinct, which would it be and how would you do it?

What's your favourite bicycle part?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Have you ever been turned on by an inanimate object?

Longest you've ever slept?

Block of cheese...or a slice of cheese?

Burger King or KFC?

Spain or Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Favourite superpower and why?

If you could change gender for a day, what would you do?

What were you doing at 6 p.m. yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Inspired by Aoifey's second question: If you had a chance to choose whether you came back as female or male in a new life which would you choose?

Do you hate Dundalk?

• Advertisement

This is my first time posting in a play-pen so sorry if my questions are rubbish..! :o

-What should we call our new C+H puppy?
    I'm terrible at coming up with names. Ghost (After Jon Snow's direwolf in Game of Thrones)

-How do you like your eggs in the morning?
    I've only had one egg in my life, and it was poached. So poached.

-Who's your favourite mod?
    I might go with Insect Overlord, powerful mod of Midwest. If you meant C&H mod, I don't have a favourite.

-Where's the furthest from home you've been?
    Switzerland. I've only been out of the country a few times.

-How did you end up in C+H?
    I was actually in the IRC first, invited by MavisDavis because she said there were loads of people talking about maths. Once I learned that it was an IRC for a forum on Boards, I started frequenting here...

Then lurking here.

God, they're terrible! :rolleyes: :P
    They were graaand.
    Alright Dave.
    Nods head

What's your favourite word / biscuit / dictator / moustachioed historical figure?
    Topology/Pink Wafers/Mao/Einstein

If you could make one species from animals extinct, which would it be and how would you do it?
    If you're counting insects (which are technically animals), then moths. I would do it by capturing all moths in a region systematically and enlisting the help of volunteers worldwide to simultaneously drop a book on them. Hate moths.

What's your favourite bicycle part?
    I'll say the drivetrain, because I like that word.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Have you ever been turned on by an inanimate object?
    No, unless it counts that some clothes, worn by women, would.

Longest you've ever slept?
    Probably about 15 hours.

Block of cheese...or a slice of cheese?
    Slice!

Burger King or KFC?
    Burger King. The clue is in the name. King beats Colonel.

Spain or Portugal?
    Fácil. España es el mejor.
    Aoifey! wrote: »
    Favourite superpower and why?
    The European Union, because I couldn't countenance calling America or China my favourite.

If you could change gender for a day, what would you do?
    Just see what it feels like to have a different kind of body. I was told by somebody that it's less comfortable to run and jump. I want to try that out. Hmm.

What were you doing at 6 p.m. yesterday?
    Cleaning the kitchen. *sigh*
    Inspired by Aoifey's second question: If you had a chance to choose whether you came back as female or male in a new life which would you choose?
    Probably a male. It's what I'm used to. If I didn't remember anything from the first life, then it doesn't really matter what I pick, does it?

Do you hate Dundalk?
    Sometimes it seems like everybody speaks an arcane dialect of Orcish, but not really. Most of my favourite people live in Dundalk, and to be fair I do understand most people with the horrible town accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Which goal was better: Peter Crouch's in the City of Manchester or Rooney's overhead kick in Old Trafford?

Are you involved in Clubs or Socs in UCD?

Favourite thing about UCD?

Least favourite thing about UCD?

One event, 5 acts, unlimited budget, who?

unknown13 wrote: »
    Which goal was better: Peter Crouch's in the City of Manchester or Rooney's overhead kick in Old Trafford?
    Rooney's was brilliant. Crouch's was a bit scrappy. Although, arguably better since it was worth Champion's League football. If you mean Crouch's own goal this year, though, then that one. :P

Are you involved in Clubs or Socs in UCD?
    Yeah, I'm treasurer of Mathsoc next year, I do news for Belfield FM and I write for the Tribune.

Favourite thing about UCD?
    I haven't actually met anybody in UCD that I've disliked. Everybody seems grand. Such an amazing concentration of nice people.

Least favourite thing about UCD?
    The modular system being implemented badly. It usually ends up that I do some things 3 or 4 times in different modules, and I miss out on prerequisite knowledge that I should have for other modules.
    Also, Maths timetables.

One event, 5 acts, unlimited budget, who?
    Radiohead, Bill Bailey, The National, Bright Eyes, Foo Fighters.
    This will probably change in about 2 weeks though, my mood swings a lot when it comes to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Steve or Alan?

Marco or Polo?

What's your favourite colour skittles?

How is life as a mathematician?

Do people ever confuse you for a magician?

What's the plan for after college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Favorite type of M&M ?

Justin Bieber or Cher Lloyd ?

Rebecca Black or Jedward ?

Mam or Mom ?

Red Sauce or Brown ?

Germany or France ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Favourite linux distro?

Stalin or Mao?

What programming languages do you now?

Can I haz cheezburger?

Who are you? Never seen you here before :p

Can I have a spare external hard drive?

XBox or PS3?

Fave holiday destination?

What forums would you like to mod?

Micra or burnt out after joyridden Micra?

European superstate or not?

Scraic?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

What's the highest prime number you can count to in your head :D

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Steve or Alan?
    Alan. Assuming you mean Coogan or Partridge. If not, I have no idea what this means.

Marco or Polo?
    Polo.

What's your favourite colour skittles?
    Purple, I think.

How is life as a mathematician?
    Wistful. I want to be back in college.

Do people ever confuse you for a magician?
    No. I do confuse my lecturers with magicians occasionally though.

What's the plan for after college?
    Do some more college, in the form of getting my P.H.D., then go into maths research and lecturing.
    Favorite type of M&M ?
    The crispy ones.

Justin Bieber or Cher Lloyd ?
    Justin Bieber I guess. Best of a bad couple.

Rebecca Black or Jedward ?
    Jedward. They seem to have some kind of entertainment value at least.

Mam or Mom ?
    Mam.

Red Sauce or Brown ?
    Depends on the dish. Red sauce with most things, but I like brown sauce with chicken and sausages.

Germany or France ?
    Probably Germany, although I'd love to go cycling in the Pyrenees.
    Favourite linux distro?
    Arch Linux. I got pretty annoyed with it when I couldn't get KDE to run quickly, and I couldn't get my computer to stop overheating and all sorts, so I went back to Ubuntu about 6 months ago, but now that I'm older and wiser, I've gone back to Arch.
    The amount of freedom you have with it is both what I love about it and its greatest difficulty.

Stalin or Mao?
    Mao.

What programming languages do you now?
    I can do what I want for the most part in Python, C and Scheme, but I also know the syntax of Common Lisp (lack of syntax, nearly), Java, C-sharp, Lua, Ruby, PHP and Perl.

Can I haz cheezburger?
    I can haz cheezburger, no? :P
    I'm not a fan of cat pictures.

Who are you? Never seen you here before :p
    I'm Conor. Pleased to meet you. I did come here quite a lot up until a month or two into the last college year when I really cut back my posting. I just got caught up in societies and work and all that. I had to have my time in the Playpen though!

Incidentally, how did you know I was a Linux user and programmer if you didn't know who I was?
    (Actually, if you were in IRC the other night, then this all makes sense)

Can I have a spare external hard drive?
    I don't even have one for myself, actually. It's something I've been meaning to get.

XBox or PS3?
    Xbox. Sometimes I wished I had a PS3 but after all the PSN hacking stuff, I'm glad I have an Xbox.

Fave holiday destination?
    Haven't been to many, but my favourite was Portugal. I can't even remember the name of the place now. I'll ask MavisDavis and edit this post.

What forums would you like to mod?
    None. :P
    If I had to, I guess I'd pick C&H because I already know what a lot of the posters are like. The maths forum seems like it would be an easy one to mod. Everybody's well-behaved.

Micra or burnt out after joyridden Micra?
    Micra.

European superstate or not?
    G'wan the EU!

Scraic?
    Just chilling, being interrogated, keeping it real...

:o
    RHunce wrote: »
    What's the highest prime number you can count to in your head :D
    There is no highest prime number that I can count to in my head, as I could always count for a little bit longer, unless you take into account death and all that, in which case I don't know how long I could count for so I can't answer the question.

The highest prime number I can be bothered to count to is probably 197. (Quickly checks that it's prime...) Yep, 197.

Graphs of the needlessly complicated maths in the intro:
    AGMReIm_900.gif

How did I know? Your location and its mentioned it the OP :pac:

How did I know? Your location and its mentioned it the OP :pac:

Fair enough, on the programming point. You still made an assumption that I used Linux when I could have used another *nix with a similar filesystem layout. :P

Fair enough, on the programming point. You still made an assumption that I used Linux when I could have used another *nix with a similar filesystem layout. :P

You seemed too smart and poor for a Mac :p And amateur programming would lead ya more to teh free stuff

EDIT: Android or iOS?

What phone ya got?

:pac:

You seemed too smart and poor for a Mac :p And amateur programming would lead ya more to teh free stuff

EDIT: Android or iOS?
    Android. Hands-down. I don't really go in for Apple products. Not that I can afford to. :P

What phone ya got?
    Nokia something-or-other with a touchscreen. You'd think, given my open-source tendencies, that I'd go with Android, but actually, my phone has open-sourced Symbian OS, built on the QT toolkit, so... yeah. :P

:pac:

Symbian is a pityful excuse for an OS and has been un-open sourced. A joke. I used to mod it. No sources, nothing
    Its not built on QT at all. Only QT is EXTERNALLY INSTALLED libraries.
    /rage

Symbian is a pityful excuse for an OS and has been un-open sourced. A joke. I used to mod it. No sources, nothing
    Its not built on QT at all. Only QT is EXTERNALLY INSTALLED libraries.
    /rage

Yes, I meant to say something along the lines of "it uses QT for GUI programming of applications".

I had no idea it was proprietary now. That's ridiculous. In case you can't tell, whether my phone is open-source or not didn't really enter into my decision to buy it or not, Nokia phones are just cheap.

There are a couple of hundred QT apps :p compared to a few thousand native ones and fifty thousand Widgets :pac:
    Loadsa fanboys banked on QT and said there would be loadsa apps. I tracked it and it didn't happen.

sorry if I sounded angry at ya, I wasn't, I'm just kinda pissed about that OS :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Favourite Radiohead album?

Is there any musical instrument in particular that you'd like to play but can't?

Is doing maths in college in Dublin as utterly fantastic in reality as it is in my head?

Suppose that T: V -> V is a linear map on a 4-dimensional vector space V, and that T has 3 eigenvalues, one of which has a 2-dimensional eigenspace.
    Must T be diagonalisable? Can T be diagonalisable?

Do you follow politics/economics?

Favourite Radiohead album?
    I think... OK Computer. No, In Rainbows. No, OK Computer. It's so hard to choose. I could pick any apart from Amnesiac and King Of Limbs.

Is there any musical instrument in particular that you'd like to play but can't?
    All of them! Most pressingly, the piano, followed closely by drums

Is doing maths in college in Dublin as utterly fantastic in reality as it is in my head?
    I'm certain it's indistinguishable in every relevant way from doing it in Cork. (Lol, that's what we tell you to make you feel better!)

Nah, I'd say nothing about the course is different. It's whatever location you prefer. Sure you can see for yourself when you visit us for the IMSAs. (If)

Suppose that T: V -> V is a linear map on a 4-dimensional vector space V, and that T has 3 eigenvalues, one of which has a 2-dimensional eigenspace.
    Must T be diagonalisable? Can T be diagonalisable?
    Aggh! Summer fatigue. Must.... refresh... brain...
    Let's see... if the eigenvalues are distinct, then all of the eigenvectors are linearly independent. So we have the two eigenvectors from 2 eigenvalues of T, and they're linearly independent.
    Since the 3rd eigenspace is two dimensional, we can find 2 linearly independent eigenvectors in there, and the four eigenvectors ought to be linearly independent, so T must be diagonisable. (And therefore can be).

Is that right? Thanks for reminding me that I need to revise Linear Algebra before next year. In any case, even if my argument's wrong, it definitely can be diagonisable. The only place I can see it being wrong is in the argument that distinct eigenvalues giving distinct eigenvectors: I don't think it's wrong when there are multiplicities, but then again, I forget. :/

Do you follow politics/economics?
    Yeah, usually. I've kind of tuned out over the last month. Not that anything's been happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Favourite Radiohead album song?

Do you think The King of Limbs was disappointing in the end too?

Favourite song?

What do you study in college?

Do you like college?

Slow Show wrote: »
    Favourite Radiohead album song?
    Let Down, no question. :)

Do you think The King of Limbs was disappointing in the end too?
    Yeah. Codex and Lotus Flower were quite good songs, but other than that, it wasn't really my thing. Different genres were creeping in that I don't really like.

Favourite song?
    I couldn't really pick one. I could give a different answer depending on my mood, the air pressure, the price of tea in China. It varies between Let Down, Cooler Than You by Ben Folds, Lack of Colour by Death Cab For Cutie and Fake Empire by The National, but that's only now.

What do you study in college?
    Mathematical Science, UCD.

Do you like college?
    LOVE it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Favourite boardsie?

Whats your impression of me? :pac:

Would you ever do a skydive?

Most embarrassing thing thats ever happened to you?

Any strange injuries?

Favourite boardsie?
    I'd have to say the lovely MavisDavis, you know, because of the whole good-friends-IRL thing

Whats your impression of me? :pac:
    Hmmm... you're like a big sister to C&H.

Would you ever do a skydive?
    Yeah. I'd love to. I'm definitely going to do it someday. No rush.

Most embarrassing thing thats ever happened to you?
    I cried in first year of secondary school. That was rough. It took years to live down.

Any strange injuries?
    Nope. I'm invincible until proven otherwise.

Questions... :pac:uestions... :pac::pac:estions... :pac::pac::pac::pac:tions... :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:ns...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Big sister? O.o I sound old. You're older than me though right? RIGHT?

Any big ambitions that aren't college/education related?

Do you like kids? Any plans to have any of your own?

Ever worked anywhere?

Favourite sport to watch?

Favourite sport to play?

Do you like swimming in the sea?

Can you teach me to play guitar? I'll teach you the piano in return? :P

Anything you miss about not living at home (or at least I think you don't!)?

Have you ever worn any makeup? :pac:

Favourite method of transport?

Can you drive?

Favourite childhood memories?

Any place in the world you'd like to visit more than anywhere else?

Would you be happy staying in Ireland in the future or would you emmigrate?

Big sister? O.o I sound old. You're older than me though right? RIGHT?
    OH THERE'S MORE!? No, I don't think I am. Pretty sure I'm younger. 19?

Any big ambitions that aren't college/education related?
    Yeah, I'm really trying to get into cycling in a big way. It'll take a couple of years for me to get money to get the gear together, but in the meantime I'll be doing my core exercises and out on my bike.

Do you like kids? Any plans to have any of your own?
    I like them, although these days they annoy the hell out of me. I've 4 siblings.
    I would like to have kids, some way in the future. Depending on how everything else goes in my life.

Ever worked anywhere?
    No. I'm a bum. Wish I had a job now though. I get by giving grinds.

Favourite sport to watch?
    Football (Soccer).

Favourite sport to play?
    Cycling

Do you like swimming in the sea?
    Yeah, it's far nicer than the pool.

Can you teach me to play guitar? I'll teach you the piano in return? :P
    Probably could actually, over skype or something. I don't have a piano though so the deal wouldn't work. :P

Anything you miss about not living at home (or at least I think you don't!)?
    Well I do during the summer. Emm, not really. I'd be happy just to visit my family every once in a while. :pac:

Have you ever worn any makeup? :pac:
    I think when I was smaller my aunty put makeup on me. She'd run around chasing me and I'd dash away. After all, makeup is icky.

Favourite method of transport?
    Bicycle, easy.

Can you drive?
    No, and I don't really want to. I can't afford it all right now.

Favourite childhood memories?
    Making massive spaceships out of lego or digging holes on the green. You can actually see one of the holes I dug as a child from Google Earth. :D

Any place in the world you'd like to visit more than anywhere else?
    The Pyrenees

Would you be happy staying in Ireland in the future or would you emmigrate?
    Ah yeah. I'd be happy to stay here. Leaving everybody I know would be tough. When I think about it, chances are at least one of my close friends will leave the country. Depressing, in a way.

----:pac:tions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

How did you get into to programming initially?

What was your first project you worked on?

How did you so handy with linux?

(This is all stuff I've been meaning to ask you at some point anyway! You just have to have a playpen thread now >_>)

Why oh why the Tribune? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Ever find anything interesting when you were digging holes?

You mentioned Steve Coogan earlier, do you like any of his shows?

Have you ever killed anything?

Do you share a birthday with anyone noteworthy?

What's the most embarrassing social faux pas you've ever made?

Favourite film / film director / film scene / actor?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement