Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Play-pen: conorstuff

Options

Comments

Fad wrote: »
    How did you get into to programming initially?
    I started learning HTML and CSS in TY because I wanted to help with a school website. Then I discovered Javascript and started playing around with it, and when I was told that Javascript wasn't "real programming" by some sort of code-hipster, I said "Challenge Accepted!"

What was your first project you worked on?
    I was reading The Code Book by (I think) Simon Singh and I decided to implement as much of the ciphers in that book as I could. Deciphering was the hard bit. I never really did get close to finishing it. I probably could now but I'm not really motivated to.

How did you so handy with linux?
    I'm not really that great with linux. I've only really gotten handy recently. I found it helped to pick a stripped down version of Linux that doesn't do so much for you (something other than Ubuntu) and struggle through trying to figure out problems for yourself.
    I usually look at the docs for a command, think what it could be useful for, then test it out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

(This is all stuff I've been meaning to ask you at some point anyway! You just have to have a playpen thread now >_>)

Why oh why the Tribune? :P
    If you miss the start of year meeting for the Observer and don't know anybody writing for it, they'll never get back to you. No matter how many emails you send.
    One of my friends was writing for the Tribune and he convinced me to try to make it better.
    (define (a x y)
      (cond ((= x 0) (+ y 1))
                ((and (> x 0) (= y 0)) (a (- m 1) 1))
                ((and (> x 0) (> y 0)) (a (- m 1) (a m (- n 1))))))

Ever find anything interesting when you were digging holes?
    No, I'd love to say I found a body or jewellery but the most I found was a sock.

You mentioned Steve Coogan earlier, do you like any of his shows?
    I love "I am Alan Partridge" and I loved him on The Day Today. I haven't actually seen any of his shows where he wasn't Alan Partridge, although I saw him talking about phone hacking the other day and he was a very good speaker.

Have you ever killed anything?
    I killed a moth last night. Hate moths.

Do you share a birthday with anyone noteworthy?
    Two half-decent footballers: Helder Postiga and Giampaolo Pazzini. That's all.

What's the most embarrassing social faux pas you've ever made?
    I'm a bit too reserved to make them that often, I'm a bit too odd to be embarrassed by them, and I'm a bit too sieve-headed to remember any. Sorry.

Favourite film / film director / film scene / actor?

Grandma's Boy. Such an under-appreciated comedy./
    I don't really pay enough attention to the credits to have one./
    The marriage montage in Up. Heartwrenching./
    Again, I don't really pay attention to who's in it, but probably Daniel Day Lewis. He's brilliant in everything he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Was that night I walked you to the bus stop the best darn night of your life? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you could study anything other than maths at college, what would it be?

Favourite Game of Thrones character?

Have you read the books? I've the first two on the floor in my room, but haven't got around to reading them yet :p

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    Was that night I walked you to the bus stop the best darn night of your life? :P

Of course. Nothing will ever come close to that. :pac:
    If you could study anything other than maths at college, what would it be?
    Theoretical Physics was next on my CAO but that's just maths in a different guise.
    I guess Philosophy or Economics. I'd love to do either of those, but there are also a million other things I would have liked to do.

Favourite Game of Thrones character?
    By the italics, I'll take it you're excluding the books, so in that case, Jon Snow. In the books, though:
    Jaime Lannister gets pretty awesome in the 3rd book, when Brienne of Tarth comes on the scene.

Have you read the books? I've the first two on the floor in my room, but haven't got around to reading them yet :p
    Yeah, I've read all but the one that came out this week. I haven't got the money right now and I've a huge pile of unread books to get through anyway. Everybody I know who got into the books through the show loved them, and most of them never really read fantasy before, so you should definitely give them a read when you've time.

question doubleplusgood stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Whats your favourite constant?

Pi or tau?

Whats your favourite constant?

Pi or tau?

My favourite constant is e. It doesn't depend on whether you take a the natural circle constant to depend on radius or diameter, it doesn't depend on units like the Planck length, it's just fundamental.
    If I'm allowed to cheat a little, my favourite constant is the concept of planck length in any given unit system.

Tau, but I haven't made up my mind on whether it's worth the fuss of changing over or not. I'm glad more people are aware of the idea that Tau might be a more natural circle constant though. It's good that it got publicity this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Vanilla or Chocolate?

Soccer or GAA?

Faccebook or Twitter?

Internet Explorer or Anything else?

What's your favourite band?

Who inspires you the most?

What would you like to be remembered for?

Vanilla or Chocolate?
    Vanilla

Soccer or GAA?
    Soccer

Faccebook or Twitter?
    Twitter

Internet Explorer or Anything else?
    Exactly anything else.

What's your favourite band?
    Radiohead

Who inspires you the most?
    You know, I really don't know. The closest thing to a celebrity figure I look up to is David Mitchell. Some of my friends inspire me sometimes.

What would you like to be remembered for?
    As long as I'm not remembered as a d--k, I'm OK. Ideally, for my intelligent points of view or good advice or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

You mentioned Steve Coogan earlier, do you like any of his shows?
    I love "I am Alan Partridge" and I loved him on The Day Today. I haven't actually seen any of his shows where he wasn't Alan Partridge, although I saw him talking about phone hacking the other day and he was a very good speaker.

Didn't know you liked IAP \o/ I recommend watching Knowing Me Knowing You (his chat show) and the Mid Morning Matters "webisodes". The latter's pretty great after the first two episodes.

What other comedies do you like?

Favourite book(s)?

Favourite1960s/70s band/artist?

Are there any common mistakes in grammar or spelling that really grind your gears?

What's your most controversial opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Favourite maths subject?

Favourite mathematician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Jonny G or Ed O'B?

What is your brutally honest opinion on Dundalk, if you have one?

Have you ever touched a Zebra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

If you could come back as any animal, what would it be?

Can you play an instrument?

How did you discover Boards?

Boards or Facebook?

Haven't a clue if any of these have been asked already so...:o

Jako8 wrote: »
    Favourite maths subject?
    Analysis and Calculus-y stuff like Topology.

Favourite mathematician?
    Terence Tao. He has a great blog.
    Didn't know you liked IAP \o/ I recommend watching Knowing Me Knowing You (his chat show) and the Mid Morning Matters "webisodes". The latter's pretty great after the first two episodes.

Cheers. Definitely will do.

What other comedies do you like?

Over the last year, I've just been looking up everything Chris Morris has ever done. It's all brilliant.

I'm a big fan of the I.T. Crowd, Black Books and Spaced.

Favourite book(s)?

The Book Thief, all of the asoiaf books so far, the books by Craig Russell featuring Jan Fabel.

Favourite1960s/70s band/artist?

The Beatles, of course.

Are there any common mistakes in grammar or spelling that really grind your gears?

Yeah. Inappropriately, placed commas.

What's your most controversial opinion?
    That abortion is a mother's choice, probably.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Jonny G or Ed O'B?

Jonny G. Seems more like me - quiet and reticent.

What is your brutally honest opinion on Dundalk, if you have one?

There's nothing to do, but I don't mind it. I'm used to it, and I guess I thrive in it.

Have you ever touched a Zebra?

No. Am I missing out?
    _meehan_ wrote: »
    If you could come back as any animal, what would it be?

A bear. They are, quite simply, the most amazing creatures on the planet.

Can you play an instrument?

Yeah. I play all kinds of styles on guitar.

How did you discover Boards?

Through a friend, MavisDavis on boards. She actually introduced me to the IRC before the forum, because Aoibheann, Davidius, Pygmalion et al were all discussing maths.

Boards or Facebook?
    Boards

Haven't a clue if any of these have been asked already so...:o
    Some have. If you want to see a completely different answer to them, you can read down. :P

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAa0B50tB-QmSGEAJDuBTcl3c8K54R2xOyMjS2c3R_qpo4vzBi1A&t=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Why did you change to blue writing? :pac:

Whats your best quality?

Whats your worst quality?

Why did you change to blue writing? :pac:
    I think it looks neater and easier to read than the bold.

Whats your best quality?
    My sense of colour and layout. :P
    No, probably my ability to listen. That or my clear-thinking when faced with a problem.

Whats your worst quality?
    I forget a lot of things that don't interest me. Unfortunately going to the shop doesn't interest me, tickets for things don't interest me, exact things people said don't interest me, and a whole lot of other things that everybody else thinks it's important that I should remember. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Why did I believe you were from Leitrim? Am I mixing you up with another boardsie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Does P=NP?

FreeBSD (by default) creates users' home directories in /usr/home instead of /home (with /home being a symlink).
    Discuss the pros and cons of this layout (if any, in either case).

If Davidius were to suddenly leave your course, would you drop out immediately, or get the degree anyway in a futile attempt to impress him?

Eluveitie, great band, or the greatest band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Why did I believe you were from Leitrim? Am I mixing you up with another boardsie?

Him and Storm have the same avatar, I think shes from Leitrim?

I am a well of useless information.

Edit: And I technically just hijacked a question. Mwahaha. I did think I was in the Den though, woopsies :P

• Advertisement

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Does P=NP?
    I don't think so, based on no evidence or credible argument whatsoever.

FreeBSD (by default) creates users' home directories in /usr/home instead of /home (with /home being a symlink).
    Discuss the pros and cons of this layout (if any, in either case).
    I can't think of any pros. There doesn't seem to be any reason to use /usr for user files any more.
    On the contrary, I have /home mounted on a separate partition, which I suppose is an advantage.

If Davidius were to suddenly leave your course, would you drop out immediately, or get the degree anyway in a futile attempt to impress him?
    I'd drop out immediately, of course. I'm only in the course because I want to seem almost as intelligent as he is.

Eluveitie, great band, or the greatest band?
    I hadn't heard of them, but they actually do seem like a great band. I doubt the greatest.

I think QOL probably answered Duffy's question. I've never even been to Leitrim, in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Is your username an amalgamation of the words 'Conor' and 'stuff', or is it a hardcore text-speak declaration of your toughness?

Belfield FM or The College Tribune (oooh, tough one..)?

What are your favourite names?

What are your two favourite bars that are not located in Ireland?

After you spend the day swimming and you lie down to go to sleep, do you ever feel like you're floating? :p

How awful, yet amazing, is ALT?

Should we start going back to Tripod on Wednesdays next year?

Are you still cycling to Electric Picnic?

Do you miss me lots?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any favourite Internet memes?

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Is your username an amalgamation of the words 'Conor' and 'stuff', or is it a hardcore text-speak declaration of your toughness?
    Conor + stuff, as you'd probably have guessed. :P

Belfield FM or The College Tribune (oooh, tough one..)?
    Maybe Belfield FM. For the bants. If I do many media things next year, it'll probably be Tribune stuff. Writing is easier to work around study. I'll still spend lots of time in the studio, too, of course.

What are your favourite names?
    I quite like Conor, but then I'm a bit biased. I like most Irish names. Aine, Aisling, Aoibheann, Aoife, Blathnaid, Dara, Doireann, Eoin, Oirlaith, Sinead, Cathal, Sorcha are all lovely. (I stopped the alphabetical order after the first few. Odd how many of them begin with A.

What are your two favourite bars that are not located in Ireland?
    Renos, if you can even call it a bar, and Celtica. :pac:

After you spend the day swimming and you lie down to go to sleep, do you ever feel like you're floating? :p
    I bet if I said that to your wonder-physio they'd nod intently. :P

How awful, yet amazing, is ALT?
    It's cheap thrills. :D

Should we start going back to Tripod on Wednesdays next year?
    At the start of the year, when I've scholarship money. :P

Are you still cycling to Electric Picnic?
    You've convinced me to. :)

Do you miss me lots?
    I miss you this much |
    |
    Any favourite Internet memes?

disregardfemalesacquirecurrency.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I like how you like my name. You always were one of my favourites. <3

Now, onto business! If any have been asked, eh.. I'm lazy!

Generic (from when I asked questions in playpen threads ever >_>):

- What is your favourite meaning of \o/?
    - Do you like to dance? If not, whyever not? :eek:
    - What irritates you most about society, and what is your favourite thing about it?

Just for you questions:

- Analysis or Algebra?
    - Pure or Computational?
    - If you could have lived any mathematician's life, whose life would you choose?
    - Name 6 dinner party guests, dead or alive, and why you chose them.
    - Favourite cyclist(s)?
    - Can you cook?
    - Highlights of 2011 thus far?
    - What would you like to achieve in the rest of this year?
    - Does you afraid of anything?

More (possibly!) at a later stage. :)

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I like how you like my name. You always were one of my favourites. <3

Now, onto business! If any have been asked, eh.. I'm lazy!

Generic (from when I asked questions in playpen threads ever >_>):

- What is your favourite meaning of \o/?
    Arms held up for joy.

- Do you like to dance? If not, whyever not? :eek:
    Sometimes. I can do a mean shuffle.

- What irritates you most about society, and what is your favourite thing about it?
    Everybody seems to be incentivised more by money than by what interests them, or by doing something worthwhile. That's my least favourite thing.

My favourite thing is that there's a place for everybody these days. (in Irish society, in the places that I've lived anyway).

Just for you questions:

- Analysis or Algebra?
    Analysis is King.

- Pure or Computational?
    Pure.

- If you could have lived any mathematician's life, whose life would you choose?
    Maybe Cauchy, if you completely forget about the French Revolution just for now. :P It'd be nice to have pretty much written all the books when it comes to real analysis.

- Name 6 dinner party guests, dead or alive, and why you chose them.
    • Douglas Adams, because nobody could ever be as interesting a guest as him. I'd just have to avoid showing him iPods or iPhones. I hear was the original Apple fanboy.
    • Roberto Mancini. I'd love to know what's going on with Tevez, what SuperMario is really like, and so on...
    • Bernhard Riemann. I'd love to get him to take a look at some of the modern attemps to prove his hypothesis.
    • Paul Erdos, so I could get an Erdos number of one.
    • Lance Armstrong, for all the cycling tips.
    • Dara O' Briain. Somehow I can see him fitting in with the other guests.

- Favourite cyclist(s)?
    Nicholas Roche, Eric Zabel, Thor Hushovd, Andreas Kloden, Lance Armstrong, the Schlecks.

- Can you cook?
    Yep. I don't have a huge repertoire exactly but I can keep myself fed.

- Highlights of 2011 thus far?
    One really good night towards the end of the college year with my friends from back home, Our final Mathsoc talk of the year with my favourite lecturer, The FA Cup Final.

- What would you like to achieve in the rest of this year?
    30km/hr average speed over 10km, a first in the Christmas exams.

- Does you afraid of anything?
    Pssht, ah doesn't afraid of anything.

More (possibly!) at a later stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Do you think you have been asked enough questions?

would you like to be asked more questions??

What has your favourite question been so far??

Are the number of questions per post adequate??

Do you think you have been asked enough questions?
    Pretty much, yeah, considering everybody probably forgets me.

would you like to be asked more questions??
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind.

What has your favourite question been so far??
    Suppose that T: V -> V is a linear map on a 4-dimensional vector space V, and that T has 3 eigenvalues, one of which has a 2-dimensional eigenspace.
    Must T be diagonalisable? Can T be diagonalisable?

- it reminded me to revise a little bit before going back to college.

Are the number of questions per post adequate??
    The ones with more than one question. :P

Filler text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

What is your favourite Millenium Prize Problem? :D

What am the sky?

Favourite old-school sweets/junk food thing (I have flying saucers atm, hence the question!)?

Are you looking forward to reading a Dance with Dragons? (I can loan you my copy if you don't have it!)

• Advertisement

I posted answers and then my computer failed me and closed the window.
    Aoibheann wrote: »
    What is your favourite Millenium Prize Problem? :D
    RH.
    That said, I don't know what the Hodge Conjecture is, really, and I haven't done enough Topology or Differential Geometry to understand the Poincare Conjecture, so those may end up being my favourites.
    (Although really, isn't the beauty of the RH that it's so easy to understand, but so difficult to prove?

What am the sky?
    How does eat food?

Favourite old-school sweets/junk food thing (I have flying saucers atm, hence the question!)?
    Blue Raspberry Bonbons. :D

Are you looking forward to reading a Dance with Dragons? (I can loan you my copy if you don't have it!)
    Very much so. I'll probably get it before I can get a lend off you though. Unless I cycled to your house. That'd be a hell of a trip though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement